User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Roger Goodell to Fine Jerry Jones 'Millions' over Public Criticism

Per @RapSheet
    Clarity on NFL and #Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: it's not a fine, it's a reimbursement of costs incurred by the member clubs. More than $2M. The resolution has been on the books for more than 20 years. Goodell did this after consulting owners.

Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    Timestamped.

Quote Originally Posted by lostxn View Post
    If they want that, they should hire a different commissioner. There are no fans that like Goodell. You either don't care or hate him. The players hate Goodell. Arguably the two most powerful owners in the sport - Kraft and Jones - hate him. He's drawn the ire of Trump's 37%. All in all, he's dug his own grave. No idea why they handed him an extension. Plenty of other good executives out there.
    Good questions. If the fans, players and a couple very influential and powerful owners hate the guy, why did Goodell get a new deal?

I'm all for anything that raises the stress/blood pressure of our 70-something year old skeletor looking owner.

Quote Originally Posted by midswat View Post
    I'm all for anything that raises the stress/blood pressure of our 70-something year old skeletor looking owner.
    Hes not stressing. Hes raising the ticket prices.
    #Fire Garrett

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GShock View Post
    That is absolutely insane. "We had to contort the legal system to defend this sham of a decision that fucks you; also, here's the bill."
    They are the ones that decided to drag the investigation out over 15 months. That was THEIR CALL. Jerry just added to it by calling them out on a BS decision which added to the legal expenses that they had already bloated by dragging it out so far. Just ridiculous.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by midswat View Post
    That is a good point. I don't really give a fuck about Jones' money (unless it affects the cap).

If Goodell succeeds in prevailing over an owner then he will be virtually unstoppable as to how far he can wield his will for the rest of his tenure. I said earlier about the Elliot matter that he would push to prevail as a matter of setting a precedent within the league. The Owners through their own ignorance are giving him monodical control over the entire league. It’s Jones now and he is one of the Super structure franchises so from here he can steam roller most any other owner at will and the rest will fall in line for fear of incurring his wrath. He won’t be easy to unseat then because he likely has an emormous golden parachute in his contract. The salary committee unwittingly did this as a power play against Jones and it may end up biting them in the butt.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    monodical control over the entire league
    Uh, what word were you going for there. I'm fascinated... Monopolistic? Maniacal? Monarchical?

monodical
    Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
    mon·o·dy (mŏn′ə-dē)
    n. pl. mon·o·dies
    1. An ode for one voice or actor, as in Greek drama.
    2. A poem in which the poet or speaker mourns another's death.
    3. Music
    a. A style of composition dominated by a single melodic line.
    b. A style of composition having a single melodic line; monophony.
    c. A composition in either of these styles.