QB Controversy Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Actually I've seen Romo miss a ton of games, and show a knack for getting hurt.

That's really what the issue is.
That's definitely the issue.

The funny thing is, we know the reality is they're going back to Romo no matter what whether we like it or not. And odds are Romo gets hurt again, rendering this whole debate moot. :lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:art

Genghis Khan

These are my thoughts exactly...well except for the last part because I do 100% agree.

And I also agree that IF Dak lights up GB and Cincy, I could be swayed otherwise.
That's the other thing. The next two games will say a lot.

Genghis Khan

:art
:lol That's retarded, trashy, funny and awesome all at the same time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The funny thing is, we know the reality is they're going back to Romo no matter what whether we like it or not. And odds are Romo gets hurt again, rendering this whole debate moot. :lol
I bet if we are 5-1 Romo will need a little "extra" rest before he is ready to come back. Jerry has already kind of mentioned that they will be extra "cautious" with Romo because of the way Dak is playing.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
That's the other thing. The next two games will say a lot.
If Dak lights it up against Cincy and GB without Dez and/or Smith again then anybody who thinks we should go back to Romo is a fucking retard.

D

Deuce

I don't need him to light them up to stick with him. Be efficient, take care of the ball and put us in position to win. His ability to not turn it over is his biggest asset over Tony.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As long as the team doesn't expect more from Romo, like he can bail them out of dumb choices, he should return.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I bet if we are 5-1 Romo will need a little "extra" rest before he is ready to come back. Jerry has already kind of mentioned that they will be extra "cautious" with Romo because of the way Dak is playing.
Amazing, he said something that actually made sense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't need him to light them up to stick with him. Be efficient, take care of the ball and put us in position to win. His ability to not turn it over is his biggest asset over Tony.
Agreed.

Cotton

Staff member
Salary cap math of Cowboys moving from QB Tony Romo to Dak Prescott

By: K.D. Drummond

Tony Romo will likely not take the field again prior to Week 8 against Philadelphia. Once at that point, in the Cowboys prior 23 games, he will have played a total of 233 snaps. During that span and taking some liberties, Romo will have essentially been paid $32.6 million. That equates to about $140,000 per snap.

In the four games Romo has played, two complete games and parts of two others, the Cowboys compiled a 3-1 record. In Dak Prescott’s first four career games, Dallas also has earned a 3-1 record. Prescott is making $546,000 for his rookie season. He’s played 213 snaps at the quarter pole of the season, meaning he is making $641 per snap at this juncture.

$140,000 a snap for Romo. $641 a snap for Prescott.

After the fourth-consecutive game where the fourth-round quarterback has shown the mental acumen to prosper as an NFL quarterback, the gap between what he can, and what Romo can do continues to evaporate. Make no mistake, the offense is currently streamlined for Prescott. He does not have the ball placement of Romo, nor does he yet have the ability to scan the entire field and threaten teams with the deep ball. The Cowboys are currently winning despite these limitations, in no small part due to Prescott’s ability to process what is asked of him at an efficient level.

The main factor keeping the Dallas offense from exploding is the experience that comes with being a long-term starter at quarterback. That of course can only happen if Prescott continues to get game snaps.

The question then becomes where does Dallas’ brass see this team in terms of competing for a title and would a permanent switch to Prescott be a better long-term option than the possible short-term reward of reinserting Romo.

That question will be answered in time, but for the first time there is an endpoint to Romo’s tenure at the helm of the Cowboys and it is closer than most anticipated. Some fans might not like to admit business is at least on equal footing with talent when it comes to making these sorts of decisions.

The club would’ve loved to have kept Demarcus Ware as a lifelong Cowboys player, but his performance hadn’t matched his production for a few years and they let him go prior to the 2014 season. The same might be the case for Tony Romo at the end of 2016.

Romo entered the 2015 offseason with a base salary of $17 million, and an already prorated signing/restructure bonus amount of another $10.8 million. He would restructure that base salary, but we’ll get to that in a minute. He entered 2016 with a base salary of $8.5 million and, before 2015’s restructure, a prorated hit of $9.1 million. In total, the Cowboys are using $45.4 million of cap space for Romo over the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Of course, some of that is re-allocated funds that came from previous campaigns where Romo was paid but the accounting aspect was deferred to future years. Regardless, the team has invested heavily in Romo and more importantly around a Romo-friendly team. The club has decided it will not invest in the defense.

Dallas has the NFL’s most expensive offense in 2016 and are in the bottom 12 in spending on defense. Projecting to 2017 (courtesy of OverTheCap.com) the Cowboys are set to drop to 23rd in defensive spending. The offense? That is still projected to be tops, but now over $30 million is between them and the next highest projected team. The gap between them and the next closest team is over half of what they have on the books for their defense.

The team has lucked out in finding a rookie capable of leading the team and although there is no such thing as salary cap hell, allocating resources for the next few years is a highly crucial part of team management. Is it in Dallas’ best financial interest to move on from Romo?

Because of how NFL salary cap accounting works, the financial ramifications of Romo either retiring or the team choosing to cut him are aligned in most ways.

Starting in 2017, Romo has three years remaining on his contract. That includes the base salaries for all three years, as well as prorated signing bonus amounts which count towards the cap in each of those years.

The amounts are as follows:

As base salaries are obviously not paid to retired or released players, the important parts here are the prorated amounts on each of the years remaining.

Romo has $19.6 million remaining of unamortized signing bonus. If he outright retires, that would accelerate onto the 2017 ledger, meaning the Cowboys would save $5.1 million of space on next year’s cap.

That would also clear up $25.2 million of 2018 space that is currently earmarked for Romo, and $23.7 million of similar 2019 space.

Financially speaking, that flexibility would be a boon for the Cowboys.

There is also a possibility that due to his affinity for the club, Romo could allow the club to release him as what was formerly known as a June 1st cap casualty. If that were the case, then only the 2017 prorated bonus amount ($10.7 million) would hit the cap next year, giving Dallas the savings of Romo’s entire 2017 base salary, $14 million.

If that were the case, then the $8.9 million prorated amounts for 2018 and 2019 would then be on the 2018 salary cap as dead money.

That would mean the Cowboys would save $10.6 million on the 2018 cap, and still the same $23.7 million in 2019 space.

If someone looks at future years as parts of the salary cap that are already accounted for, then these are savings. If someone looks at each year individually, then the dead money that would be on the books would be looked at as a negative. In reality, if this situation were to play out, the most important factor in how things would be viewed would likely be the continued performance of Prescott. So far, the case he’s making is becoming more and more compelling.

The caveat is the earlier-referenced comparison to Demarcus Ware. The Cowboys saved money at that position and turned in a surprising 2014 campaign where they tied for the best regular season in the league. When it came down to the playoffs though, they were in desperate need of pass-rush help. We’ve all been warned.

Genghis Khan

But the question is, is that enough against a very good defense or an offensive opponent that can force us to need to score in the mid to upper 30s?

I heard a stat on the radio that Dak is 1 for 8 on throws beyond 20 yards. I love Dak and he's been great but we have to put how we feel about him in context, and that context is that we all think he's been great based upon him being a rookie. Not being able to get the ball further downfield restricts what you can do. We've been getting away with it because Dak has been fantastic otherwise and because we haven't had a team put that onus on us yet. But it's the kind of thing that can catch up to you.

If Romo was 1 for 8 on throws beyond 20 yards we'd expect way better than that.

Romo is still the better QB right now until proven otherwise.

D

Deuce

But the question is, is that enough against a very good defense or an offensive opponent that can force us to need to score in the mid to upper 30s?

I heard a stat on the radio that Dak is 1 for 8 on throws beyond 20 yards. I love Dak and he's been great but we have to put how we feel about him in context, and that context is that we all think he's been great based upon him being a rookie. Not being able to get the ball further downfield restricts what you can do. We've been getting away with it because Dak has been fantastic otherwise and because we haven't had a team put that onus on us yet. But it's the kind of thing that can catch up to you.

If Romo was 1 for 8 on throws beyond 20 yards we'd expect way better than that.

Romo is still the better QB right now until proven otherwise.
I think that stat of passes over 20 yards is as indicative of the WR as it is of him. Most of those throws went to Dez and he simply doesn't get separation. Butler can with speed, but he isn't strong enough to hold on to the ball when contested. Williams has the speed to get them, but he's so far down on the list of people Dak look for I doubt he ever gets the shot.

Fact is, especially with Dez hurt, we are an intermediate throw kind of offense with Shrimp and Witten leading the way. But you can win that way, and we have been. We've done a good job scoring points so far and that should only get easier with the running game getting consistently better.

data

Forbes #1
How long does it take to figure out a QB?

Nick Foles, Kaep and RG III all were HOFers after year 1.

Cotton

Staff member

None of them looked nearly as poised in the pocket as Dak. In fact, 2 of them chose to run first and pass second. That's why they were so easy to figure out and stop.

D

Deuce

I think the difference with them is they were all system QBs. Once they all played in a pro style offense as pocket passers, they fell apart. Hell, our current backup QB looked salvageable in Chip Kelly's offense.

Top Bottom