Davison - Jason Garrett: Cowboys will stick to convictions despite offensive futility

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Garrett: Cowboys will stick to convictions despite offensive futility

By Drew Davison

ddavison@star-telegram.com

November 24, 2017 04:23 PM

UPDATED November 25, 2017 02:35 AM

Jason Garrett isn’t going to make any drastic changes to try and spark a Dallas Cowboys’ offense that has hit a level of ineptness never seen before in franchise history.

Garrett shot down the notion of taking control of play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, and vowed to remain true to his coaching convictions even though the offense has scored fewer than 10 points in three consecutive games.

“Certainly we’re always looking at ourselves and things that we can do better, but our convictions as a coaching staff, or as a football team, really won’t change,” Garrett said on a conference call Friday.

“You’re looking for different ways to implement things. You self-scout. You do a lot of different things week by week to give your team the best chance possible. But the core convictions about how you win ballgames? They remain intact.”

Scoring more points is the No. 1 way to get the Cowboys to a more respectable place. Thursday’s 28-6 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers extended a level of futility that has never happened in this organization before.

Not even the 2001 team had that sort of drought when the Cowboys averaged 15.4 points game (30th in the league) and rolled through a quartet of quarterbacks — Ryan Leaf, Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter and Clint Stoerner.

Or the 2002 team that averaged 13.6 points a game (31st in the league) with Carter and Chad Hutchinson at quarterback.

Or just two years ago when the Cowboys averaged 17.2 points a game (31st in the league) with backup QBs Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore combining to go 1-11 in place of an injured Tony Romo.

“We’re not a good team right now,” owner Jerry Jones said on his 105.3 The Fan radio show Friday.

“I really will tell you — and this is some hopeful but it’s also some factual — we can really salvage this thing.

“I look at our schedule, I look at where we are with our talent. I’ve seen it before — I’ve seen these guys play at levels, each one of them individually, that allows me to think this way. If I’ve never seen it, then that would be different on an individual basis or as a team.”

Salvaging what has essentially become a lost season may be wishful thinking on Jones’ part. After all, MakeNFLPlayoffs.com has given the Cowboys a 7.2 percent chance of making the postseason, a number that some may feel is too generous.

Jones is right, though, in thinking that this group has the ability to at least put on a more respectable performance. Sure, the suspension of Ezekiel Elliott — the reigning rushing champ — has been a blow to the Cowboys, as well as playing without All-Pro left tackle Tyron Smith for two games.

But the drop-off in production without Elliott has been stunning. This is a team that was averaging the fourth-most points in the league (28.3 points per game) going into the Atlanta Falcons game earlier this month.

Garrett pointed to the lack of explosive plays as a reason for the offensive struggles. The Cowboys had just three, including one courtesy of a penalty, in Thursday’s game compared to the Chargers’ 11.

“When you don’t make as many explosive plays, your chances of scoring are that much more compromised,” Garrett said. “We simply have to generate some explosiveness offensively. If we can do that, I think that gives us a much better chance of scoring points.

“We’ll continue to work as an offensive staff, as a group of coaches, to try to find ways to put our players in the best position to consistently drive the ball and make some big plays and score some points.”
------------

Christ, this asshole is really a piece of work. Not one bit of contrition.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He's not going to change a damn thing in other words

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He's not going to change a damn thing in other words
Nope. Just stubbornly thinking his way works and when it doesn't just blink uncontrollably on the sidelines like his CPU is overheating.

midswat

... soon
It’s frustrating and ridiculous. As a fan, you just want to smack the shit out of him. We’re playing some of the worst football in the history of our franchise, and he’s spitting out cliches and coachspeak without an ounce of urgency. FU you piece of shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It’s frustrating and ridiculous. As a fan, you just want to smack the shit out of him. We’re playing some of the worst football in the history of our franchise, and he’s spitting out cliches and coachspeak without an ounce of urgency. FU you piece of shit.
But he controls the room at press conferences.

midswat

... soon
But he controls the room at press conferences.
He’s not even a real person. It’s like he just quotes notes he took while reading “A Complete Idiots Guide to Coaching.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
~approaches podium~

How we doin, guys?

It's a process, but we have the right kind of guys who just have to execute.

Anything else?

Alright guys!

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He’s not even a real person. It’s like he just quotes notes he took while reading “A Complete Idiots Guide to Coaching.”
Who was it on the 90's Cowboys who said Garrett should go into politics? Whoever it was I'm 100% sure it's not the compliment the media tried to make it out to be.

edit: Think it might have been Aikman said it

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Jason Garrett: Cowboys will stick to convictions despite offensive futility

Christ, this asshole is really a piece of work. Not one bit of contrition.
What does he have to be contrite over?

Is going to apologize for being a shitty coach?

Guy is paid millions of dollars to clap on the sidelines.

How do you luck into a gig like that?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It's so obvious that the problem is coaching. I look around the league at other teams with comparable talent and they somehow manage to at least play competitive football. Meanwhile in Dallas we're getting our doors blown off each and every week.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It's so obvious that the problem is coaching. I look around the league at other teams with comparable talent and they somehow manage to at least play competitive football. Meanwhile in Dallas we're getting our doors blown off each and every week.
Hey!!

You try to coach after losing Jonathan Ogden, Dick Butkus, and Jim Brown and see how well you do!!!

:roboclap

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
We’ve been over this. It’s a process. Just ask him. He’ll tell you.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Just watched the Jason Garrett show just to piss myself off. It worked. Same FU grin he always has even though this was apparently taped right after we got that asskicking in front of the entire country Thursday.

I still am not sure he's human. Jerry may have had Garrett killed and put this bot in his place to save money. No human could serve up that kind of shit sandwich and then look as happy as he does.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The WR patterns are maddening. No one going deep, no one open more than 8-9 yards down the field...hell, no one really open ANYWHERE.

Dak can throw the long ball...he did it plenty last year, and it seemed like Linehan wasn't afraid to get Butler and Williams down the field.

This season is back to Garrett-phobia.....no chances down the field, play it close to the vest, clap and hope we somehow luck into a win. Fuck that guy.

data

Forbes #1
Garrett’s HC career eerily similar to Tom Landry’s.

Both tenures eginning with the non-playoff seasons leading to the glory era. We’re now experiencing the game passing by Garrett, just like the late 80s.

Id say the only difference between their runs is 20 consecutive winning seasons and 5 SB appearances.

A fedora accompanies Landry’s name in the ROH. Wonder if clapping hands will adorn Garrett’s.

midswat

... soon

Holy shit.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Garrett’s HC career eerily similar to Tom Landry’s.

Both tenures eginning with the non-playoff seasons leading to the glory era. We’re now experiencing the game passing by Garrett, just like the late 80s.

Id say the only difference between their runs is 20 consecutive winning seasons and 5 SB appearances.

A fedora accompanies Landry’s name in the ROH. Wonder if clapping hands will adorn Garrett’s.
Game passing him by? He's in his 50s...

His problem is he doesn't have a mind for Xs and Os. That's what's making a difference these days. You need talent to be sure but knowing how to use it is even more important.

The sad thing is we really could bring anyone new and a new system will work like gangbusters. New ideas always do until the other teams can figure out how to scheme it. What frustrates me is Garrett could have a brain and steal plays from other teams but instead he just runs the same shit game after game +/- 1-2 new plays that usually don't work.

Remember the 2 point conversion we ran with Beasley sprinting to the corner? That was the third fucking time we've run that play this year. Yeah Williams sprung open and it should have worked anyway if Dak's accuracy wasn't for shit. Still, don't we have another play? Probably not...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I enjoy Phil's trolling/humor.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Holy shit.
Fuck you, you fucking piece of fucking shit.

Top Bottom