QB Controversy Thread...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Right now if the decision was mine I'd be leaning towards keeping Dak in but these next two games will undoubtedly tell the story. The Bengals defense will be the best we have faced so far this year and Green Bay's defense is at least as good and perhaps better than our first four opponents.

If he continues to play mistake free ball and gets the ball in the end zone against those two, it'll be really hard to take him off the field, but we all know it will happen regardless. Even if it is the wrong decision to put Romo back in, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. His time is coming to an end one way or another, whether he has another serious injury, isn't able to get back to his 2014 form or whatever.

We aren't winning it all with Dak behind center this year anyway. We need 2014 Romo to return to have any hope of that and while you could easily argue that it's better to just let Dak continue to grow and learn, I don't think half a season is going to make much of a difference.

We all have to keep in mind that as soon as the staff makes the decision to take Romo out of the game for Dak, it's over for Romo. He's no longer the unquestioned leader and it will certainly just be a matter of time until he's released at that point. I understand that the organization isn't ready to make that decision just yet, especially when you don't know for certain that Romo really is done.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is how I feel right now as well. There are still two games left to sort of sway me one direction or the other. At the start of the season my thought was hopefully Dak can get us to survive to 3-3 with Romo taking over. If we drop the next two games I probably go with Romo. If we win the next two games I stick with Dak. Right now Dak has built a great resume to make the argument to stick with him. That's subject to change though.
That's a good way to look at it.

dallen

Senior Tech
We can argue all day on here but ultimately it will depend on how Romo looks in practice once he's healed up. And we'll have no way of knowing that. I think at this point you make him win the job back. If he looks like 2014 Romo then you go back to him. If not you stick with Dak.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Right now if the decision was mine I'd be leaning towards keeping Dak in but these next two games will undoubtedly tell the story. The Bengals defense will be the best we have faced so far this year and Green Bay's defense is at least as good and perhaps better than our first four opponents.

If he continues to play mistake free ball and gets the ball in the end zone against those two, it'll be really hard to take him off the field, but we all know it will happen regardless. Even if it is the wrong decision to put Romo back in, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. His time is coming to an end one way or another, whether he has another serious injury, isn't able to get back to his 2014 form or whatever.

We aren't winning it all with Dak behind center this year anyway. We need 2014 Romo to return to have any hope of that and while you could easily argue that it's better to just let Dak continue to grow and learn, I don't think half a season is going to make much of a difference.

We all have to keep in mind that as soon as the staff makes the decision to take Romo out of the game for Dak, it's over for Romo. He's no longer the unquestioned leader and it will certainly just be a matter of time until he's released at that point. I understand that the organization isn't ready to make that decision just yet, especially when you don't know for certain that Romo really is done.
I don't know why people keep saying this. Do I think we win the SB this year? Probably not. But, I never discount a season like this. I keep Dak in and hope he can take us to the holy land. I don't put Romo back in because "well, we ain't winning this year, anyway". I think that's a misguided and frankly dumb way to look at it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We can argue all day on here but ultimately it will depend on how Romo looks in practice once he's healed up. And we'll have no way of knowing that. I think at this point you make him win the job back. If he looks like 2014 Romo then you go back to him. If not you stick with Dak.
That's how it should be, but we all know it won't go down that way. Just as soon as the docs say go, he will be back in the lineup.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't know why people keep saying this. Do I think we win the SB this year? Probably not. But, I never discount a season like this. I keep Dak in and hope he can take us to the holy land. I don't put Romo back in because "well, we ain't winning this year, anyway". I think that's a misguided and frankly dumb way to look at it.
I say it because I'm under the assumption that the only way we can win it all is if Romo can return to his 2014 form, which is obviously better than what Prescott is right now. If Prescott goes out and lights up the Bengals and Packers the next two weeks then that changes things but I'd be quite surprised if that happens.

We aren't the 2001 Patriots, we aren't the 2013 Seahawks, our defense is nowhere near that level and eventually if we want to compete for a title it will be on the back of the offense, and the offense will need 2014 Romo to compete at that level.

I also understand the organization wanting to give Romo one last shot. The franchise's future at QB is already secure and I totally get them wanting to see if Romo still has it for one last go around. Obviously if he struggles you have to pull him, but I get giving him the opportunity, it may be misguided but I totally get why they would do it.

I don't 100% agree with it but I'm willing to see what happens, either way we need to just take solace in the fact that we won't have to obsess over finding a QB in the draft every year for the next 5-10 years.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That's how it should be, but we all know it won't go down that way. Just as soon as the docs say go, he will be back in the lineup.
Basically. They would make the change even if we somehow beat the Bengals and Packers and have a 5 game win streak while being 5-1. Now if we end up losing the next two then their decision will be easier, at least from a PR stance.

If we do win the next two then there's no way I'd remove Dak. But I think it's unlikely we win both. But I'm sure no matter what happens Romo will be the starter when given the green light.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't think it's fair to shit on Romo's legacy, I think he led bad teams to win games by force of will, and was handicapped by a horrible coaching staff. This team got it's first playoff wins in over a decade with Romo. He won us our first division championship since 1998. He was a winning QB on teams that would probably have looked like the cluster fuck in 2015 without him.

The "what has he won." line show's a heinous misunderstanding of what it takes to win a championship in this league. There's a reason Peyton Manning, the king of the early playoff exit, finally won another Super Bowl as a shell of himself. Because he worked as a cog in a well designed team.

2014 was Romo's shot to play in a conference championship (although the goal posts would have been immediately moved if he had) he played damn near flawless football for all of December and January, you can't say he didn't play well enough to get to the next level of the playoffs. The defense folded, Demarco fumbled, Dez got screwed on a call.

The reason I don't want to hand it back to Romo is because this isn't the 2015 Broncos, he's not 2014 Romo, and even if he played his balls off, the team wouldn't get further than it did in 2014. He has maxed out his potential. Bravo, take a bow, thanks for the memories. At this point he's a progress stopper and even if he's as good or even better than Dak still, the improvement caused by forcing him into the lineup wouldn't be nearly as beneficial as setting Dak up as a future starter.
This about sums up how I feel about the situation and add in the facts of cap relief and assets possibly gained and that makes it kind of a no brainer IMO.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I also understand the organization wanting to give Romo one last shot. The franchise's future at QB is already secure and I totally get them wanting to see if Romo still has it for one last go around. Obviously if he struggles you have to pull him, but I get giving him the opportunity, it may be misguided but I totally get why they would do it.

I don't 100% agree with it but I'm willing to see what happens, either way we need to just take solace in the fact that we won't have to obsess over finding a QB in the draft every year for the next 5-10 years.
This is the main issue. I don't know if Dak will be an elite QB in this league but he has already shown that we can win with him. With more development we just may have our longterm answer at QB which will be huge for us.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Who knew Geng was Kidd lite when it comes to Romo.:lol

And I totally understand his perspective if not totally agree with it.

Moving on from Romo would totally be a Bellichek type move and everybody would be applauding it.

It will be interesting to see if there are any leaks about players wanting to stay with Dak as the QB, I wonder if Romo really has the complete backing of the locker room.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is the main issue. I don't know if Dak will be an elite QB in this league but he has already shown that we can win with him. With more development we just may have our longterm answer at QB which will be huge for us.
I don't know what your definition of elite is but I'm almost certain that Dak will be our QB for the next 10 years. His leadership, poise, ability to read defenses, decision making, athleticism and work ethic are unquestioned, I have no clue if he will ever be a clear cut top 5 QB in the league but at the very least I think he will fall in that next tier.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
It's a hell of a choice that I'm glad I don't have to make.

I love Romo, almost in a homosexual type of way. I want so badly to see HIM be the one to lead us to a Superbowl, but on the other hand now that we're starting to see what we've got with Dak, it's difficult to justify taking him off the field.

Even if Romo is the better QB TODAY, when do you pull the plug? Romo is getting paid a lot of money and he wants to play three more years. We can't possibly sit Dak for that long, if the stars align and Romo somehow stays healthy.

D

Deuce

I'm honestly going to advocate for Dak to remain the starter no matter what the record is as long as he keeps playing at his current level. We have 1 loss so far, but that's it because of him. Hell, he was leading the team down the field for the game winning FG when his half a retard WR stayed in bounds.

Fact is, he's more durable than Romo, he's made better decisions more consistently than Romo and the team responds to him just as much as they do Romo. Might as well move on now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Words from a man that most reasonable folks would agree knows what he is talking about.

Top Bottom