QB Controversy Thread...

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Tap the brakes a little. Dak hasn't beaten a team with a winning record yet.

He was off in his throws some today, but I would never expect ANY player to not have on off day. And to win on a slightly off day is a good thing.

But two pretty good teams come up over the next two weeks. A lot will be determined against them.
Yes, Dak was off today and still completed 23/32, for 345 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs.

I'll take that for an "off" day.

We've seen plenty of Romo off days. Look no further than last Thanksgiving.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
The "against a winning team" metric is skewed this early in the season. If Dak had gone undefeated he still wouldn't have beaten a winning team. The Giants would be 1-2 if they'd lost in week 1. The Redskins would be 3-1 if they'd beaten us.
Exactly right.

Today was the type of games that we would have lost in the past.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The "against a winning team" metric is skewed this early in the season. If Dak had gone undefeated he still wouldn't have beaten a winning team. The Giants would be 1-2 if they'd lost in week 1. The Redskins would be 3-1 if they'd beaten us.
Correct and if we beat the Bengals there will still be that same built in excuse. We have lost plenty of games with Romo starting to bad NFL teams.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Yes, Dak was off today and still completed 23/32, for 345 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs.

And your point?

Do you honestly believe Dak will never cost us a win?

My god, some of you are acting as if he's the next coming of Peyton Manning.

Get a grip!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many years did Elway have before Terrell Davis came along and a running game established?
Elway went to like 3 superbowl before he won it. Romo has made it to one conference championship game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course not, Manning was god awful as a rookie. Not sure why you assume there is some sort of a limit to the career Prescott can have.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Elway went to like 3 superbowl before he won it. Romo has made it to one conference championship game.
So you're saying Dak is a better QB than Romo.

Fine. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I happen to think Romo is better. He has a ton more experience plus he was 3rd in MVP voting his last healthy season.

But hey Dak beat the 49ers today with Gabbert as their QB. That must mean he's better.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Of course not, Manning was god awful as a rookie. Not sure why you assume there is some sort of a limit to the career Prescott can have.
Who said anything like that? Certainly not me.

At this point in time, I think Romo is better.

You obviously think differently.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But hey Dak beat the 49ers today with Gabbert as their QB. That must mean he's better.
Dak continues to win and continues to play mistake free football. I don't expect Romo to match the best year of his career at 36 years old coming off 3 very serious injuries. Not sure why anyone would have that expectation.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
And your point?

Do you honestly believe Dak will never cost us a win?

Get a grip!
And some of you make it seem like Romo's actually won something. So what's your point?

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Dak continues to win and continues to play mistake free football. I don't expect Romo to match the best year of his career at 36 years old coming off 3 very serious injuries. Not sure why anyone would have that expectation.
I don't get it either. I really don't.

I just want to know what the excuses are going to be when Romo rushes back and we start losing.

hstour

Brand New Member
"Against a winning team" was from a perspective of WHEN they played them.

When they played each team they won against, that team had a losing record. The Giants have a winning record now, but they were 0-0 when we played them.

Just to clarify.

townsend

Banned
I don't think it's fair to shit on Romo's legacy, I think he led bad teams to win games by force of will, and was handicapped by a horrible coaching staff. This team got it's first playoff wins in over a decade with Romo. He won us our first division championship since 1998. He was a winning QB on teams that would probably have looked like the cluster fuck in 2015 without him.

The "what has he won." line show's a heinous misunderstanding of what it takes to win a championship in this league. There's a reason Peyton Manning, the king of the early playoff exit, finally won another Super Bowl as a shell of himself. Because he worked as a cog in a well designed team.

2014 was Romo's shot to play in a conference championship (although the goal posts would have been immediately moved if he had) he played damn near flawless football for all of December and January, you can't say he didn't play well enough to get to the next level of the playoffs. The defense folded, Demarco fumbled, Dez got screwed on a call.

The reason I don't want to hand it back to Romo is because this isn't the 2015 Broncos, he's not 2014 Romo, and even if he played his balls off, the team wouldn't get further than it did in 2014. He has maxed out his potential. Bravo, take a bow, thanks for the memories. At this point he's a progress stopper and even if he's as good or even better than Dak still, the improvement caused by forcing him into the lineup wouldn't be nearly as beneficial as setting Dak up as a future starter.

hstour

Brand New Member

I did say, "And to win on a slightly off day is a good thing."

Troy won games on an "off" day. As I said, it was a good thing.

I try to temper my praise as well as temper my criticism.

hstour

Brand New Member
I don't think it's fair to shit on Romo's legacy, I think he led bad teams to win games by force of will, and was handicapped by a horrible coaching staff. This team got it's first playoff wins in over a decade with Romo. He won us our first division championship since 1998. He was a winning QB on teams that would probably have looked like the cluster fuck in 2015 without him.

The "what has he won." line show's a heinous misunderstanding of what it takes to win a championship in this league. There's a reason Peyton Manning, the king of the early playoff exit, finally won another Super Bowl as a shell of himself. Because he worked as a cog in a well designed team.

2014 was Romo's shot to play in a conference championship (although the goal posts would have been immediately moved if he had) he played damn near flawless football for all of December and January, you can't say he didn't play well enough to get to the next level of the playoffs. The defense folded, Demarco fumbled, Dez got screwed on a call.

The reason I don't want to hand it back to Romo is because this isn't the 2015 Broncos, he's not 2014 Romo, and even if he played his balls off, the team wouldn't get further than it did in 2014. He has maxed out his potential. Bravo, take a bow, thanks for the memories. At this point he's a progress stopper and even if he's as good or even better than Dak still, the improvement caused by forcing him into the lineup wouldn't be nearly as beneficial as setting Dak up as a future starter.
Have to agree with the general sentiment.

I hate the "well Eli has two rings" argument for grading a QB. Brady 3 rings because of the team Belichick put around him and the fact that Belichick is willing to forsake EVERYTHING for the team he is trying to build. Aikman has 3 because of Jimmy being the same.

Both of those TEAMS had TEAMS in ALL ASPECTS that were dominant. And the HC could out-scheme the other team.

Single players just do not elevate a team to win a Superbowl. But the opposite does happen. Ref: Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer or even the famed Joe Namath.

Look at the list here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/118647-the-10-worst-quarterbacks-to-win-a-super-bowl/page/1

But let's look at the seasons that that the SB winner had vs Romo the same year.

SB XLII (2007 season)

Eli: 23 TDs 20 INTs 86.95% TD/INT
Romo: 36TDs 19 INTs 52.77% TD/INT

SB XLVI (2011 Season)

Eli: 29 TDs 16 INTs 55.17% TD/INT
Romo: 31 TDs 10 INTs 32.25% TD/INT

So who was the better QB and who had the better team?

During the 2007 season when Eli beat Brady in the SB, Eli threw 23 TD and 20 INTs. In the same year, Romo threw for 36 TDs and 19 INTs. So was Eli better than Romo just because he won a ring in 2007?

In

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's had 10 years as a starter to prove himself.

Enough said.
Jesus Christ, yes he's had 10 years and proven quite a bit in that time. He was a god damn mvp candidate two years ago and only Aaron Rodgers outplayed him.

Are you serious?

Top Bottom