Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at 49ers | Week 4 | 10-02-2016

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I still wish we'd take a few more shots down the field but can't complain too much.

It was super impressive to see us go down 0-14 and Dak just shrug it off like nothing with that "I got this" swagger.

Loved getting to watch it in person.

On a side note the stadium was about 45% Cowboys fans and holy shit was it loud with people cheering for the Boys. It's a shame we can't get this type of noise at our stadium.
I don't think we took any shots downfield yesterday. We can get away with that against bad teams, but at some point we're going to have to try to keep up with a high powered offense.

What's going to happen when we go up against GB or Pittsburgh if they bring their A game?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Feels weird not watching anything but the highlights and of course reading you guys.

Sound like Prescott did it again and Elliott is doing good. No pass rush usual.

What was the deal with Bryant and Butler? Butler looked like he was sniveling.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nothing like going to Beasley to ice the game.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Feels weird not watching anything but the highlights and of course reading you guys.

Butler dropped a fade in the end zone...so Dez was coaching him up. Butler earlier had a stupid taunting penalty where he did this dumb ball spin on the CB.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It was super impressive to see us go down 0-14 and Dak just shrug it off like nothing with that "I got this" swagger.
That was nice to see. Down 14, defense looking like it wouldn't stop them at all, offense sputtering, and the kid didn't press and make it worse.

Great poise.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Yeah the taunting penalty that Carp mentioned basically cost us a promising drive. But he did also Cary a TD and the drop was covered pretty tightly.

Defense was abysmal the first two drives but they must have figured out what Kelly was doing because after that the Niners didn't do anything.

Id say the biggest thing you missed was just an excellent coaching performance.... Just an absolute clinic. :art

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah the taunting penalty that Carp mentioned basically cost us a promising drive. But he did also Cary a TD and the drop was covered pretty tightly.

Defense was abysmal the first two drives but they must have figured out what Kelly was doing because after that the Niners didn't do anything.

Id say the biggest thing you missed was just an excellent coaching performance.... Just an absolute clinic. :art
You know, I gladly stomach your gloating because if you're gloating that means the Cowboys are doing well. :lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak just looks so much more decisive than Romo I don't know if he is willing to trust more guys or is not waiting for the big play but this offense just runs so smooth and crisp.

I also wonder if Linehan has more sway over what is called without Romo playing as coach during game planning for the week.

As much complaining as people do about the depth of this what they have without Smith, Collins, Scandrick Lawrence Romo and today Dez is amazing.

I wonder what Faux outrage some will have this week to take away from a good win.
Yeah, the offense has that early 90's feel to it. I think most of why is the 3rd down efficiency. You just have that same confidence that they will get that big 3rd down conversion. It's been a lot of fun to watch.

And for those still on the fence about Dak, you can jump onto the bandwagon now. The Niners run some very confusing coverages/defenses, and he still marched up and down the field on them. He had a rough start, but once he figured it out, they couldn't stop him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Up until the personal foul I thought he was playing pretty well. The drop in the endzone sucked but it happens. It wasn't an easy catch by any means but it's also a catch you expect an NFL WR to make.

Cotton

Staff member
He wasn't wiffing on high fives there, it looked like he was going for smacking them on the helmet but intentionally missing.

And let's be honest. Thank god he missed Lee's head.
:lol

Cotton

Staff member
That was nice to see. Down 14, defense looking like it wouldn't stop them at all, offense sputtering, and the kid didn't press and make it worse.

Great poise.
That was what was most impressive to me, and what is one of Romo's ultimate downfalls. He presses too hard sometimes and tries to get in it on one or two plays. Dak took what was given to him and methodically moved up and down the field.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
My personal plan for Romo would be for him to come back this year and take his shot.
Then slip into the backup position next year to continue to mentor Dak and provide Dallas with the best backup QB in the league.
Retire after 2017 when it costs nothing (Dallas actually gets 9.5M in cap space back) and move into the coaching staff.
The problem is I don't think Jerry or Garrett will open up the spot for competition. As long as Romo is here and healthy he's going to start no matter what Dak does. When he's ready to go this year, he'll be starting. Beginning of next season, he'll be starting.

What will be interesting is if he stays healthy and starts but declines and plays poorly. Not sure how bad it'd have to get for them to remove him. But it'll probably be a moot point since I doubt he'll stay healthy the rest of this year, much less all of next season.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That was what was most impressive to me, and what is one of Romo's ultimate downfalls. He presses too hard sometimes and tries to get in it on one or two plays. Dak took what was given to him and methodically moved up and down the field.
I'd like more downfield passes, but if the short dump offs and slants are working and we're moving up and down the field and scoring then I have no problem with it. The Pats have been a championship season and annual contender doing just that.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd like more downfield passes, but if the short dump offs and slants are working and we're moving up and down the field and scoring then I have no problem with it. The Pats have been a championship season and annual contender doing just that.
Whatever Dak is most comfortable with is what I go with. The short passing game just complements the running game in maintaining an advantage in TOP, so I'm perfectly okay with it.

Top Bottom