The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I wish I could trust that, but I can't.

I think as soon as the run game falters, we bail.

Part of the success of last year is that they did trust Murray. I can't say Randle and McFadden have that level of trust, nor should they.
They never trusted Murray before last year. People were constantly complaining that we would abandon the running game too early. I think a big part of that trust is in fact, the Oline and Linehan's guidance over the running game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They never trusted Murray before last year. People were constantly complaining that we would abandon the running game too early. I think a big part of that trust is in fact, the Oline and Linehan's guidance over the running game.
I just think they rolled with it. Especially after realizing they bailed on it in the Green Bay game.

This is a different circumstance and it is built a lot more of faith and hope that Murray was.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Lamar Miller is now my pet cat trade target. I think he'd be a superstar here. Hopefully he's available for a 4th or less. I might even go 3rd for him.
I'd rather have Randle and a 3rd than Lamar Miller.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd rather have Randle and a 3rd than Lamar Miller.
I'd strongly hesitate to give up a third, especially since he's in a contract year, but I really think Miller would be much better than what we have.

I think Miller is a lead back. I really don't see it in Randle at all. We'd be pretty set with 250 carries for Miller and maybe 150 for McFadden.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Leary for Miller?
I'd hate to lose depth along the oline, but I'd prefer to do that than lose a 3rd rounder. Leary is a FA after this season. But then again, so is Miller. Although Miller would probably be a lot easier to resign if you wanted to.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If Randle has his head on right I think he'll be every bit as good as Miller. The only backs I'd really go all in for are Peterson or Forte.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Randle has his head on right I think he'll be every bit as good as Miller. The only backs I'd really go all in for are Peterson or Forte.
Agreed. Miller is good, but his game is a lot like Randle.

I want a back with power who after his 20th carry, the D is feeling it. That is what was good about Murray, he would bring it late.

All in all, this trade stuff is silly. We already made our bed.

And it has McFadden and Randle in it.

Genghis Khan

I think Miller has a similar style to Randle but I think he's much better. Plus I think Miller has a 200 carry season under his belt. Not so much Randle.

Forte is available? Regardless, Forte is 29 and appears to be in the normal decline for his age. I'd have almost zero interest unless he was dirt cheap.

By contrast Miller is 24 and seems to be ascending.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

I really believe we will make a move for somebody. It might not be for a while, but I think we will.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I saw some stuff on Twitter today about Doug Martin. Probably not truth to it.

townsend

Banned
I wish I could trust that, but I can't.

I think as soon as the run game falters, we bail.

Part of the success of last year is that they did trust Murray. I can't say Randle and McFadden have that level of trust, nor should they.
I think we did trust Murray more than we will trust Randle/McFadden. Because he was a good back, and they are average backs. But in the time where we were horrid at running the ball, Murray was still a good back, and yet we relied on the running game as if he were below average.

If we can trust average backs as much as they deserve we should have a balanced and productive offense. Not as balanced or productive as last season maybe, but with the overhauled defense it should be an equivalently successful team. (ruling out significant injuries, or regression of key players.)

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The silly part is there probably not going to be some miracle trade that rescues this franchise.
I don't think a miracle trade is necessary to improve the situation at RB. I guess I am also not of the opinion that the franchise is in need of being 'saved' by a miracle. RB could end up being an issue but I want to see who they bring in before I get too worried about it. If they do nothing then count me as worried but if they bring in a guy like Lamar Miller I'll feel a lot better about it. He's better than Randle and he's damn sure better than Lance Dunbar & Ryan Williams. And McFadden. He or someone comparable combined with McFadden & Randle should be good enough. None of those guys are the salt the game away type of RB that you are looking for, but if they are all used they should be effective in that role as a group.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So last year the median rushing yards per team was 1728. Do we go over or under that?

Is there any doubt we could do well with a RBBC that earns over 1700 yards?

Or do we need more than an average rushing game to succeed when we also have a stellar passing offense?
We had better go over 2000 as a team. 1750 ain't going to cut it. We rushed for 1999 yards as a team in 2003.

I think we can go a yard better than that. Whatever we think of Williams and Randle, they would have started over any back on the 2003 roster, and the line is light years better.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
We had better go over 2000 as a team. 1750 ain't going to cut it. We rushed for 1999 yards as a team in 2003.

I think we can go a yard better than that. Whatever we think of Williams and Randle, they would have started over any back on the 2003 roster, and the line is light years better.
isn't going to cut what? Cut it in the division? I sincerely doubt A+ passing and C+ rushing isn't enough to overtake the bag of ass that is Wash, NYG, and Philly.

Top Bottom