Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at 49ers | Week 4 | 10-02-2016

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Supposedly Byron Jones was supposed to have deep coverage but he jumped another route
I mentioned that yesterday.

He has been really good in man, but very inconsistent in zone. He's making the wrong reads too often.

The deep ball to Doctson in the Skins game was his fault as well, and it was a very similar deal to the deep ball yesterday where he inexplicably came short to the cross route when his job in that coverage is to help over the top.

He needs to fix that or we're going to be paying it for it very soon as we start facing teams with elite passing options.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Gabbert was hit in the pocket which affected the throw and Qb's miss throws every week, on this play yes Smith had a step but it also looked like he was tracking the ball the whole way so we don't know if he could have never made a play.
Call it what you want, but Smith had already beaten him and Claiborne is not catching him with that speed.

Missed throws happen, yes, but all I'm saying is one of Claiborne's biggest struggles since he came into the NFL is dealing with down the field stuff, and I've seen a handful of instances already where he's been beat for what should have been big plays but bad throws saved him.

He's playing well and I'm glad to see it, but I'm just saying let's pump the brakes on talking about extending him and all that stuff. Let's see how the next few weeks play out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mentioned that yesterday.

He has been really good in man, but very inconsistent in zone. He's making the wrong reads too often.

The deep ball to Doctson in the Skins game was his fault as well, and it was a very similar deal to the deep ball yesterday where he inexplicably came short to the cross route when his job in that coverage is to help over the top.

He needs to fix that or we're going to be paying it for it very soon as we start facing teams with elite passing options.
The Doctson play was Carr's fault, although I agree that Jones could take better angles when in zone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Glad he made the play and it's going to serve as another building block towards his confidence in what has been a very solid season for him so far.

But it's also a reminder to be cautiously optimistic because that should have been a TD and he's been very fortunate at multiple times this season to not have allowed a deep TD when he was beat.

If Cousins and Gabbert make better throws, Claiborne's season, while still promising, isn't being looked at with the same view as it is now if multiple deep ball TD's are also on his resume for through 4 weeks.

Good signs, but let's just wait and see on him, as L.T. would say.
I think Claiborne had fine enough coverage on that deep a post play. In trailing position he has to be in position to challenge anything underthrown and he clearly was.

I think it was Jones' responsibility for leading coverage, and because he bit underneath he was way out of position. If Gabbert had been a real QB that was almost a sure TD.

At the end of the day, the pass rush needs to make the QB nervous on such a deep pattern. We greatly lack inside push.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Call it what you want, but Smith had already beaten him and Claiborne is not catching him with that speed.

Missed throws happen, yes, but all I'm saying is one of Claiborne's biggest struggles since he came into the NFL is dealing with down the field stuff, and I've seen a handful of instances already where he's been beat for what should have been big plays but bad throws saved him.

He's playing well and I'm glad to see it, but I'm just saying let's pump the brakes on talking about extending him and all that stuff. Let's see how the next few weeks play out.
You just said in another post he should have been expecting help over the top which pretty much makes everything else moot and you have no idea what kind of play he could have made he looked beat by White the previous game as well.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think Claiborne had fine enough coverage on that deep a post play. In trailing position he has to be in position to challenge anything underthrown and he clearly was.

I think it was Jones' responsibility for leading coverage, and because he bit underneath he was way out of position. If Gabbert had been a real QB that was almost a sure TD.

At the end of the day, the pass rush needs to make the QB nervous on such a deep pattern. We greatly lack inside push.
It was the pass rush that affected that throw he was hit as soon as he threw it.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
When things looked grim, and we were down 14-0...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
What section were you in? I was up on 404 and it was loud. Had to love the Niners suck chants going on also.
Was in 413. That section was 90%+ Cowboys fans, was with my buddy who's a Niners fan and he was heavily outnumbered.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Giants win off of two Bradford TO's.
I want both teams to lose. I know as a Cowboys fan a Giants loss is best for us. But I also want the Vikes to be exposed for the fraud team that they are. Their defense is good but I'm still not buying that offense. Ultimately I'll root for the Vikes though. I'm all about trying to win the NFL East this year.

data

Forbes #1
I want both teams to lose. I know as a Cowboys fan a Giants loss is best for us. But I also want the Vikes to be exposed for the fraud team that they are. Their defense is good but I'm still not buying that offense. Ultimately I'll root for the Vikes though. I'm all about trying to win the NFL East this year.
Yeah, no earthly reason to root for Vikings loss here.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Don't mind C-rock, he's just pissy that he was wrong thinking the Vikings would win 8 games max.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Looking forward to the Vikes passrush causing some Eli sad face.

Top Bottom