User Tag List

Page 128 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129 LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1290

Thread: The Gun Control Debate Thread

I have been wondering why the Santa Fe school shooting disappeared from the news cycle so quickly.

It really hit close to home. I was down the road looking at houses and got held up in traffic when they were searching the kid's home in Alvin. One time my sister and her friend brought Christmas presents to a couple of underprivileged little girls, one of who eventually became a victim in this shooting.

Anyway, why was the Parkland coverage seemingly endless, but this one was gone in a few days? No AR-15 used? Not in a swing state? No emerging teenage activists on Twitter? I am genuinely asking.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbrown View Post
    I have been wondering why the Santa Fe school shooting disappeared from the news cycle so quickly.

It really hit close to home. I was down the road looking at houses and got held up in traffic when they were searching the kid's home in Alvin. One time my sister and her friend brought Christmas presents to a couple of underprivileged little girls, one of who eventually became a victim in this shooting.

Anyway, why was the Parkland coverage seemingly endless, but this one was gone in a few days? No AR-15 used? Not in a swing state? No emerging teenage activists on Twitter? I am genuinely asking.
    I have wondered the same thing, and it comes down to gun used, IMO.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Gun used and most of the kids are still pro-2nd amendment imo
    2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion

4. The following user likes this post:

Parkland kids who emerged were politically active kids who were really well educated and could act as their own pundits, but unlike most other pundits had a credible experience, and status as a survivor to immunize them from the ordinary round table, cable news chatter that tends to drown the discussion with pre-existing talking points.

Also since conservatives and the Alt-Right tend to go with scorched earth tactics, with personal attacks and conspiracy theories about any opponent, they gave Parkland kids a ton of exposure as many conservative luminaries made asses of themselves trying to shut up shooting survivors.

I don’t think that happens very frequently, which is why so many school shootings die in news cycle after a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    Parkland kids who emerged were politically active kids who were really well educated and could act as their own pundits, but unlike most other pundits had a credible experience, and status as a survivor to immunize them from the ordinary round table, cable news chatter that tends to drown the discussion with pre-existing talking points.

Also since conservatives and the Alt-Right tend to go with scorched earth tactics, with personal attacks and conspiracy theories about any opponent, they gave Parkland kids a ton of exposure as many conservative luminaries made asses of themselves trying to shut up shooting survivors.

I don’t think that happens very frequently, which is why so many school shootings die in news cycle after a week or so.

Yeah, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post

Yeah, okay.
    What’s your beef here.

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    What’s your beef here.
    Those kids were not well educated. They came out saying some of the same stupid shit that a lot of the gun control advocates have been spewing for years. The simply read from a pre-written script written by other uneducated people. And, I mean uneducated on guns in general, not book education.

Those kids were not well educated. They came out saying some of the same stupid shit that a lot of the gun control advocates have been spewing for years. The simply read from a pre-written script written by other uneducated people. And, I mean uneducated on guns in general, not book education.
    They at least should not be presumed to be more educated than the Texas kids who didn't have a mic stuck in front of their face for being anti-gun.

They are kids. They know about the same as high schoolers everywhere.

When I say well educated, I mean they go to a rich school, where decent teachers actually prepared them to speak pretty eloquently, and have a certain level of media savvy. Now obviously you have personal opinions about guns, that I probably agree with more than you’d think. But I think the script stuff is laughable, and I bet Parkland’s testing well above the state avg.

Quick search shows Marjory Stoneman Douglas is much higher in AP participation, and national ranking (Santa Fe is unranked). Santa Fe does have a better student to teacher ratio, but that doesn’t mean its teachers are any good.