User Tag List

Page 85 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gun Control Debate Thread

“There is absolutely no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons."
    California Gov. GUESS WHO!! in 1967

The whole gun debate is retarded and I truthfully don't understand it.

Are there people out there who really believe stricter gun laws will make it harder for those with bad intentions to get guns? I mean drugs are illegal, but yet were still pathetically "losing" the war on drugs, and most non-nerdy kids (and even some of the nerds) in high school can score pot. Heroine and meth are at all time highs throughout the country.

On the flip side, are there really people who think the right to bear arms would protect you from the government? Are the yahoo's screaming "come and take them and you'll find a civil war" really serious? I don't care how many AR-15's you have, if the national guard comes rolling up on your house with armored vehicles, you're not going to win.

And honestly, I don't understand the logic behind the government wanting to take our guns away? What does this essentially accomplish? This is the part where someone points to how centuries ago civilians were mass murdered by dictators. Or what happened to the Indians here.

I don't know. I'm a gun owner. None of them are registered. I'm of the opinion that less government is a good thing. I'm all for the 2nd amendment. Bad people do things, not inanimate objects. The whole gun control thing is just foolish to me and I don't even pay it any attention, really.

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    That would be my guess as well but I havent actually seen the proposal. It doesnt seem reasonable that you could keep anyone from owning or possessing a gun if you were under 21. How would you even make that derermination in the first place.
    Well possessing you could do. They do it with felons all the time. But then are you not going to let anyone under the age of 21 shoot a fire arm? Get rid of youth hunting season then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Well possessing you could do. They do it with felons all the time. But then are you not going to let anyone under the age of 21 shoot a fire arm? Get rid of youth hunting season then.
    They do it with felons because the laws allow for inspection and entry for search. I don’t know how you make a case for those provisions on the average citizen simply because they are below the age of 21.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by bbgun View Post
    My guess is that the NRA will lose the SCOTUS appeal of the new Florida law. Judges are affected/influenced by the news just like anyone else, and bumping the minimum age limit to 21 is unlikely to be deemed "unreasonable."
    SCOTUS is a conservative majority and while they may have personal feelings about current events, I don't think they will allow it to cloud their view of what the Constitution says. Barring an adult from purchase of a weaon is clearly unconstitutional without exigent circumstance. Emotional feelings about what happened aren't in that category. Mental health, criminal back ground or a bad military discharge are. I like some of the things they passed, but this isn't one of them and my strong opinion is it will get overturned. Schmitty? opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by fortsbest View Post
    SCOTUS is a conservative majority and while they may have personal feelings about current events, I don't think they will allow it to cloud their view of what the Constitution says. Barring an adult from purchase of a weaon is clearly unconstitutional without exigent circumstance. Emotional feelings about what happened aren't in that category. Mental health, criminal back ground or a bad military discharge are. I like some of the things they passed, but this isn't one of them and my strong opinion is it will get overturned. Schmitty? opinion?
    Not according to Heller. Restrictions are allowed to be put on sales. You may not like it, but from my understanding, I think this would pass muster.

Quote Originally Posted by fortsbest View Post
    I dunno. Seems like it could fit into an exception, or at least close enough that it could go 5-4 either way.

3 students injured when California high school teacher fires gun during safety course

Three students at a central California high school were injured Tuesday when a teacher fired a gun inside of a classroom during a firearms safety course, according to police and local reports.

Dennis Alexander discharged a semiautomatic handgun as it was pointed at the ceiling, Seaside Police Chief Abdul Pridgen said.

Three teens attending Seaside High School in Monterey County were hurt by debris falling from the ceiling, Pridgen added.

One of the parents of an injured 17-year-old told NBC affiliate KSBW that the teacher had told the class that he was going to use the gun for a demonstration about how to disarm someone and was checking if the weapon was loaded.

"It's the craziest thing," said parent Fermin Gonzales, who told KSBW that he only learned of his son's injury when the boy came home. "It could have been very bad."

A picture obtained by KSBW showed the student with small red bruising to his neck, which Gonzales said appeared to be caused by a bullet fragment.

The incident happened during Alexander's administration of justice course, said the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District. Alexander also teaches math, and is a reserve police officer for the Sand City Police Department and a Seaside councilman, KSBW reported.

The school district said safety of students is the "top priority," and the teacher has been placed on administrative leave during an investigation. The Sand City Police Department said it also placed him on administrative leave.

Alexander could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

Three students at a central California high school were injured Tuesday when a teacher fired a gun inside of a classroom during a firearms safety course, according to police and local reports.

Dennis Alexander discharged a semiautomatic handgun as it was pointed at the ceiling, Seaside Police Chief Abdul Pridgen said.

Three teens attending Seaside High School in Monterey County were hurt by debris falling from the ceiling, Pridgen added.

One of the parents of an injured 17-year-old told NBC affiliate KSBW that the teacher had told the class that he was going to use the gun for a demonstration about how to disarm someone and was checking if the weapon was loaded.

"It's the craziest thing," said parent Fermin Gonzales, who told KSBW that he only learned of his son's injury when the boy came home. "It could have been very bad."

A picture obtained by KSBW showed the student with small red bruising to his neck, which Gonzales said appeared to be caused by a bullet fragment.

ng Alexander's administration of justice course, said the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District. Alexander also teaches math, and is a reserve police officer for the Sand City Police Department and a Seaside councilman, KSBW reported.

The school district said safety of students is the "top priority," and the teacher has been placed on administrative leave during an investigation. The Sand City Police Department said it also placed him on administrative leave.

Related: Teachers struggle with new 'default mindset' after Florida shooting

In 2015, California banned the concealed carry of guns at colleges and schools, although gun owners can ask for written permission from authorized school officials.

Pridgen said police are determining whether Alexander may have violated a city ordinance or penal code by bringing a gun onto campus.

School district officials told the Monterey County Weekly that Alexander was not authorized to carry a firearm on school grounds.

Arming teachers has been in the national spotlight after the shooting massacre of 17 people at a high school in Parkland, Florida, last month.

While Democratic lawmakers have called for stricter gun control, President Donald Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos have signaled allowing certain school personnel to have guns. The White House on Sunday said it will propose funding firearms training and bolster background checks.

Students in Parkland and across the country were planning Wednesday morning to walk out of classes to honor the shooting victims and demand gun reform laws.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarFan View Post

The incident happened during Alexander's administration of justice course, said the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District. Alexander also teaches math, and is a reserve police officer for the Sand City Police Department and a Seaside councilman, KSBW reported.

ng Alexander's administration of justice course, said the Monterey Peninsula Unified School District. Alexander also teaches math, and is a reserve police officer for the Sand City Police Department and a Seaside councilman, KSBW reported.

Related: Teachers struggle with new 'default mindset' after Florida shooting

In 2015, California banned the concealed carry of guns at colleges and schools, although gun owners can ask for written permission from authorized school officials.

Pridgen said police are determining whether Alexander may have violated a city ordinance or penal code by bringing a gun onto campus.

School district officials told the Monterey County Weekly that Alexander was not authorized to carry a firearm on school grounds.

Arming teachers has been in the national spotlight after the shooting massacre of 17 people at a high school in Parkland, Florida, last month.

While Democratic lawmakers have called for stricter gun control, President Donald Trump and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos have signaled allowing certain school personnel to have guns. The White House on Sunday said it will propose funding firearms training and bolster background checks.

Students in Parkland and across the country were planning Wednesday morning to walk out of classes to honor the shooting victims and demand gun reform laws.

They were injured from debris falling. Talk about a title to an article to grab attention that is totally dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post

They were injured from debris falling. Talk about a title to an article to grab attention that is totally dishonest.
    Um, a kid was hit in the neck by a bullet fragment.

And this article absolutely shows what can go wrong bringing guns into schools.

And this dipshit is a reserve policeman and still accidentally discharged a weapon in a school and injured kids whether it was from debris or not. It was still caused by an idiot with a gun.