QB Controversy Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it just sounds very "Dak vs Tony" when it's really not that at all.
No I think what it is about is pushing Romo's timeline back since Dak is doing so well. It just happens that right now it would have Romo returning against the worst opponent on our schedule all year. Of course if Dak keeps winning I fully expect for him to be starting the Browns game. You sort of lose the sense of urgency to bring a guy back from injury when you're winning games without him. I kind of suspect that's part of the reason we are being patient with Dez right now. Even at 4-2 going into the bye week that's an excellent start to the season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No I think what it is about is pushing Romo's timeline back since Dak is doing so well. It just happens that right now it would have Romo returning against the worst opponent on our schedule all year. Of course if Dak keeps winning I fully expect for him to be starting the Browns game. You sort of lose the sense of urgency to bring a guy back from injury when you're winning games without him. I kind of suspect that's part of the reason we are being patient with Dez right now. Even at 4-2 going into the bye week that's an excellent start to the season.
Yep. That's the smart thing to do. Give Romo the time needed to rehab and the easy part of the schedule to tune up. It's not a difficult decision. Now you will have two tuned up QB,s for a run assuming it falls that way. That shouldn't bring out the aingst in any fan.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't think we win at Green Bay without Dez.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think we win at Green Bay without Dez.
I think we are fine without Dez at GB, but not having Chaz or Tyron is scary as hell.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
By SportsDayDFW.com

Pro Football Hall of Famer Troy Aikman, the former Cowboys quarterback-turned-Fox NFL analyst, joined The Musers on KTCK-AM 1310 The Ticket on Thursday to talk all things Dallas Cowboys, including the Dak Prescott-Tony Romo situation. Here are some of the highlights:

On if he senses a split in the locker room about who should start at QB when Romo is healthy:

Aikman: "Well, I think there's certainly relationships, Craig, like you said. Tony has his relationships with players that he's very close with. I think those players that he is close with, those teammates, I think they empathize with him as to what he's dealing with and what he's missing out. But at the end of the day, all those guys in that locker room, and all those coaches, they just want to win. That's what you get paid for, that's what everyone signs up for, is to go win games, and whoever's on the field that allows that to happen- I think you've gotta be real careful. There's been a lot of discussion. These discussions began before we even got into Week 1, as to what happens when Tony comes back -- which I think really kind of illustrates just how impressive Dak was in the preseason -- and here we are now, five games later, and we're still talking about what happens with Tony, which is really a credit to Dak Prescott.

"But if you're [on the] coaching staff and you preach it's all about the team and, 'We're gonna do what's best for the team,' and it's all about winning and being unselfish, you've gotta be real careful, I think, when you make a change with a team that is playing as well as they are. And offensively, if you think about it, the numbers that they have are really off the charts -- how efficient they have been in protecting the football, scoring points, 10-play drives. They lead the league in 10-play drives; they lead the league in 10-play drives that result in a touchdown; they lead the league on third downs; the quarterback is third in the NFL in third-down passing. I mean, the numbers go on and on and on. They lead the league in rushing, and what exactly is Romo going to improve when he comes back? How is this offense going to be better when Romo comes back?

"I just think it's a delicate situation, and if I were looking at it, I would tend to do -- to go back to George's point about Jimmy and mine situation in '91 -- I didn't like it. I didn't like the decision. I made it clear to Jimmy: I felt that I should be playing. But, once I kind of got removed from it, even now, when I look back on it -- Jim and I have talked about it -- I get it. I completely understand and I don't think I would've made a different decision if I was in Jimmy's shoes. And I would tend to look at this as long as Dak is playing well, the team's playing well and they're hot, you go with the hot hand, and at some point, more than likely, either Dak's going to struggle, or he's going to get hurt and they're going to have to rely on a backup, and if that's Romo coming in off the bench, then you see what he's able to do. I just would have a hard time making that move with a team that's having as much success as they are right now, but as I've said many, many times, I think that they will make the switch whenever he's healthy and they feel that he's ready to come back and play."

-----------------------------------------

That's the million dollar question.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think we are fine without Dez at GB, but not having Chaz or Tyron is scary as hell.
A couple of the Dallas area writers tweeted earlier that it was a rest day for Tyron and he said he's good to go for Sunday.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
A couple of the Dallas area writers tweeted earlier that it was a rest day for Tyron and he said he's good to go for Sunday.
That's what I was hoping after I read the intial practice reports.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I'm totally ok with that. Tyron has been around long enough that if he needs a rest day to prevent further isssues with that back, he deserves it. Just freaks me out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God, I hope so.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
By SportsDayDFW.com

Pro Football Hall of Famer Troy Aikman, the former Cowboys quarterback-turned-Fox NFL analyst, joined The Musers on KTCK-AM 1310 The Ticket on Thursday to talk all things Dallas Cowboys, including the Dak Prescott-Tony Romo situation. Here are some of the highlights:

On if he senses a split in the locker room about who should start at QB when Romo is healthy:

Aikman: "Well, I think there's certainly relationships, Craig, like you said. Tony has his relationships with players that he's very close with. I think those players that he is close with, those teammates, I think they empathize with him as to what he's dealing with and what he's missing out. But at the end of the day, all those guys in that locker room, and all those coaches, they just want to win. That's what you get paid for, that's what everyone signs up for, is to go win games, and whoever's on the field that allows that to happen- I think you've gotta be real careful. There's been a lot of discussion. These discussions began before we even got into Week 1, as to what happens when Tony comes back -- which I think really kind of illustrates just how impressive Dak was in the preseason -- and here we are now, five games later, and we're still talking about what happens with Tony, which is really a credit to Dak Prescott.

"But if you're [on the] coaching staff and you preach it's all about the team and, 'We're gonna do what's best for the team,' and it's all about winning and being unselfish, you've gotta be real careful, I think, when you make a change with a team that is playing as well as they are. And offensively, if you think about it, the numbers that they have are really off the charts -- how efficient they have been in protecting the football, scoring points, 10-play drives. They lead the league in 10-play drives; they lead the league in 10-play drives that result in a touchdown; they lead the league on third downs; the quarterback is third in the NFL in third-down passing. I mean, the numbers go on and on and on. They lead the league in rushing, and what exactly is Romo going to improve when he comes back? How is this offense going to be better when Romo comes back?

"I just think it's a delicate situation, and if I were looking at it, I would tend to do -- to go back to George's point about Jimmy and mine situation in '91 -- I didn't like it. I didn't like the decision. I made it clear to Jimmy: I felt that I should be playing. But, once I kind of got removed from it, even now, when I look back on it -- Jim and I have talked about it -- I get it. I completely understand and I don't think I would've made a different decision if I was in Jimmy's shoes. And I would tend to look at this as long as Dak is playing well, the team's playing well and they're hot, you go with the hot hand, and at some point, more than likely, either Dak's going to struggle, or he's going to get hurt and they're going to have to rely on a backup, and if that's Romo coming in off the bench, then you see what he's able to do. I just would have a hard time making that move with a team that's having as much success as they are right now, but as I've said many, many times, I think that they will make the switch whenever he's healthy and they feel that he's ready to come back and play."

-----------------------------------------

That's the million dollar question.
That is absolutely spot on.

Those in favor of bringing back Romo say he opens up the offense even more because he is a more experienced and seasoned passer. While this isn't necessarily wrong, this is also highly dependent upon his ability to remain healthy, and if he is even the same guy physically that he was 2 years ago.

Remember, he is 36. So even if say he could stay injury-free, we haven't really seen him have to play QB on a consistent basis since the end of 2014. What is his arm like now? Does he still have enough arm and back strength to make all the throws he could before? If he doesn't, will he press in other ways to compensate and make mistakes?

Every time Romo has had mistake-filled games or mistake-filled stretches in a season, it's always when he's pressing. That's a situation I'd like to avoid.

So not only are we hoping that the guy is still the same QB he was 2 years ago, we also need to remember that while he theoretically would bring a new wrinkle to the offense, we'd also be losing a significant one in return.

With Dak out, gone are the read option looks that have given defenses fits, not to mention the mobility Dak has shown that has led to first downs and touchdowns. This has been a huge factor in us having one of the best and most efficient offenses in the league.

As I've said all along, I just wouldn't mess with what is right now a perfect thing. Unless Dak gives us reason to do so, I ride with him from here on out.

townsend

Banned
That is absolutely spot on.

Those in favor of bringing back Romo say he opens up the offense even more because he is a more experienced and seasoned passer. While this isn't necessarily wrong, this is also highly dependent upon his ability to remain healthy, and if he is even the same guy physically that he was 2 years ago.

Remember, he is 36. So even if say he could stay injury-free, we haven't really seen him have to play QB on a consistent basis since the end of 2014. What is his arm like now? Does he still have enough arm and back strength to make all the throws he could before? If he doesn't, will he press in other ways to compensate and make mistakes?

Every time Romo has had mistake-filled games or mistake-filled stretches in a season, it's always when he's pressing. That's a situation I'd like to avoid.

So not only are we hoping that the guy is still the same QB he was 2 years ago, we also need to remember that while he theoretically would bring a new wrinkle to the offense, we'd also be losing a significant one in return.

With Dak out, gone are the read option looks that have given defenses fits, not to mention the mobility Dak has shown that has led to first downs and touchdowns. This has been a huge factor in us having one of the best and most efficient offenses in the league.

As I've said all along, I just wouldn't mess with what is right now a perfect thing. Unless Dak gives us reason to do so, I ride with him from here on out.
I'm personally in favor of leaving Dak in. But I did hear something interesting from a JJT interview. Apparently they shifted to the no huddle after going down 0-14 in San Francisco because Dak was having a tough time identifying the shifting defensive fronts and the no huddle more or less kept the 49ers defense in the same formation.

So Romo still has 10 to 100 times theunderstanding of defenses that Dak does. As the season moves forward we might see the learning curve catch up to Dak. Of course the fact the we don't have to "Kill! Kill! Kill!" Every play and run the clock down to 0 while Romo tries shift the entire offense around, is probably one of the reasons this offense is looking so much more crisp.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm personally in favor of leaving Dak in. But I did hear something interesting from a JJT interview. Apparently they shifted to the no huddle after going down 0-14 in San Francisco because Dak was having a tough time identifying the shifting defensive fronts and the no huddle more or less kept the 49ers defense in the same formation.

So Romo still has 10 to 100 times theunderstanding of defenses that Dak does. As the season moves forward we might see the learning curve catch up to Dak. Of course the fact the we don't have to "Kill! Kill! Kill!" Every play and run the clock down to 0 while Romo tries shift the entire offense around, is probably one of the reasons this offense is looking so much more crisp.
And that's to be expected for a rookie, but I'm ok with that.

Despite whatever he might have struggled with, our offensive statistics across the board are excellent and I wouldn't mess with it.

Again, unless he forces us to, I don't take him out of the lineup.

townsend

Banned
And that's to be expected for a rookie, but I'm ok with that.

Despite whatever he might have struggled with, our offensive statistics across the board are excellent and I wouldn't mess with it.

Again, unless he forces us to, I don't take him out of the lineup.
I doubt it works like that. But you're right. The good news is we'll probably get 2 or so weeks of teasing Romo's return so opposing defensive coordinators won't know who to plan for.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The constant gyrations at the line of scrimmage also leave you wide open for miscommunication, false starts, etc.

Top Bottom