Schefter: Gregory Withdraws Appeal Of Suspension

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't know if it is an attitude about pot being dangerous as much as it is about the legality issues, in most of the country. They test for illegal and substance abuse drugs. Pot happens to be an illegal drug. It not a matter of sense and sensibility it's a matter of law. That's the dog that wags the tail.
That is rapidly changing. 20 states now have either made it legal or have decriminalized possession. This is being driven by the will of the people. The majority is now in favor of legalization and the percentages are climbing. The NFL can continue to hold out & suspend players for it but the direction this issue is headed is pretty clear. Like it or not it really is only a matter of time. I think the NFL would be wise for now to stop testing for it. I suppose they could do that but still suspend players who get arrested for it since it would then be a legal matter and public information. Wouldn't be an entirely level playing field though since it is legal in some states.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'm sure like some article I read suggests, that the owners will offer not testing for weed in exchange for some huge concession from the players whenever they do a new deal.

Nevermind that immediately stopping testing for a plant would be a big help for them to keep players on the field.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But at the moment it's not a practical matter issue. It's still a legal issue. When the law changes and the NFL changes fine but until that happens the players are going to have to abide by the rules or suffer the consequences. They don't have the option currently to decide for themselves. Going against the grain is cutting their nose off to spite ..........

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But at the moment it's not a practical matter issue. It's still a legal issue. When the law changes and the NFL changes fine but until that happens the players are going to have to abide by the rules or suffer the consequences. They don't have the option currently to decide for themselves. Going against the grain is cutting their nose off to spite ..........
It's all stupid. It's the job of law enforcement, not the NFL, to police marijuana.

It's not a performance enhancing drug like steroids or even cocaine could be.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's all stupid. It's the job of law enforcement, not the NFL, to police marijuana.

It's not a performance enhancing drug like steroids or even cocaine could be.
It may in fact be stupid but it is the currently ruling system so like it or not that's the dance card. You lineup or go home.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Yeah, I don't think baseball really gives a shit if their players smoke pot. It could be done right now in the nfl

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, I don't think baseball really gives a shit if their players smoke pot. It could be done right now in the nfl
Maybe it could but it isn't currently. The NFL is their employers and they make the rules. All of you work for someone and you are compelled to play by the rules whether you like them or not. It may be a silly system but until it is changed you toe the line or suffer the consequences.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maybe it could but it isn't currently. The NFL is their employers and they make the rules. All of you work for someone and you are compelled to play by the rules whether you like them or not. It may be a silly system but until it is changed you toe the line or suffer the consequences.

The point of this discussion isn't whether players should follow the rules; of course they should. The point of this discussion is whether the rule should exist in the first place, and it shouldn't.

Testing for weed harms the league. Good players are taken off the field. On the other hand, not testing doesn't harm the league. We wouldn't really hear about players who smoke and it's not a performance enhancer.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The point of this discussion isn't whether players should follow the rules; of course they should. The point of this discussion is whether the rule should exist in the first place, and it shouldn't.

Testing for weed harms the league. Good players are taken off the field. On the other hand, not testing doesn't harm the league. We wouldn't really hear about players who smoke and it's not a performance enhancer.
I am aware that there is a stance regarding what should not be but it's simply moot until such time as a change is made.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I am aware that there is a stance regarding what should not be but it's simply moot until such time as a change is made.
It's almost as if we're here on a message board discussing our opinions and stuff.

dallen

Senior Tech
I suppose you think players should get suspended when they get a parking ticket too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speeding is illegal. The NFL doesn't suspend players for speeding.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I suppose you think players should get suspended when they get a parking ticket too.
I don't have an opinion when players should get suspended. I do know what the rules are currently and the NFL thinks they should be suspended. It's their rule and what I expect is for players to be intelligent enough to stay out of trouble.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I get what LT is saying.

Most of us work at a job where we're not allowed to smoke weed. If we do, we get fired. Fired, not suspended, fired.

Therefore, we follow the rules if we want to keep our jobs.

We also don't get fired or suspended for parking/speeding tickets just like NFL players don't get fined or suspended.

So what makes NFL players any better than anyone else who works for a living?

They should do what is required just like we do to keep our jobs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of us work at a job where we're not allowed to smoke weed. If we do, we get fired. Fired, not suspended, fired.

We also don't get fired or suspended for parking/speeding tickets just like NFL players don't get fined or suspended.

I've never once been required to do a UA for a job. Obviously some do but I think its a gross overexaggeration to say most jobs actively test and fire employees for weed.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I get what LT is saying.

They should do what is required just like we do to keep our jobs.
I don't know for sure that 'most' people have jobs where they randomly get tested. I would venture to say that most do not. But the NFL does and has that right, as LT has stated ad naseum. Everyone understands the current policy.

But the point of what a lot of people here are saying is they think it should change. And it isn't just limited to fans discussing it online. More and more players and ex-players are coming out in the media and calling for change. I would recommend reading some of the thoughts of the people who are advocating that change for the answer to 'why should they'. It is a topic of discussion in the media and there is speculation that the player's union may bring it to the table and that the NFL may indeed change the policy if the union makes other concessions.

LT calls it a moot point until it changes. I call it a worthwhile discussion that is actually happening right now and being driven by NFL players an ex-players and by extension a natural topic of discussion on a message board that discusses the NFL.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
Just because something's common practice doesn't mean it's right either. If we hadn't been brought up in a society where it was common practice, having an employer force you to give up a urine sample for analysis would probably be seen as a grossly inappropriate invasion of privacy.

I understand checking for sobriety before a guy operates machinery, but checking if he's smoked weed that month is just policing someone's private life.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just because something's common practice doesn't mean it's right either. If we hadn't been brought up in a society where it was common practice, having an employer force you to give up a urine sample for analysis would probably be seen as a grossly inappropriate invasion of privacy.

I understand checking for sobriety before a guy operates machinery, but checking if he's smoked weed that month is just policing someone's private life.
While you can make a case for your position the real point is that pot testing in the NFL is part of the terms of an employment contract. It doesn't matter how many other jobs do not have this requisite, what matters is that NFL players do. In fact most jobs do not have contracts but some do and if you happen to be someone who is under contract you have a responsibility to comply.

I am surprised that with the attorney's on this site they would gloss over this. Now you can argue that the contract terms are unfair and should be changed but the fact remains there is a contract. I would like to know how many of you are under contract and allowed to disregard its terms because you don't think it is fair?

Again I don't have a position one way or another about what should be but I do know how it is and that is the lead dog currently.

Top Bottom