Jerry Jones hires lawyer and threatens to sue over Roger Goodell extension

data

Forbes #1
As long as he stays long enough for the DCC to chant You Screwed Zeke at the draft.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
As long as he stays long enough for the DCC to chant You Screwed Zeke at the draft.
He should avoid the book depository during his visit there... just sayin' :unsure

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Feud Grows Between NFL, Cowboys' Jerry Jones Over Goodell

The Associated Press has obtained a letter sent by the NFL to Jerry Jones' attorney accusing the Dallas Cowboys owner of "conduct detrimental to the league's best interests" over his objection to a contract extension for Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The letter accusing Jones of sabotaging the negotiations was sent to David Boies on Wednesday. Jones hired Boies and threatened to sue the NFL if Goodell's contract extension was approved by the compensation committee, made up of six owners. All 32 owners voted unanimously in May to let the committee finalize a deal with Goodell.

The letter, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, was written by outside counsel for the compensation committee and given to the AP by a person who requested anonymity because it was not intended to be made public.

It's the latest escalation of a feud between the NFL and one of its most powerful owners. Jones has denied that his objections to the extension are tied to Goodell's decision to suspend star running back Ezekiel Elliott for six games over alleged domestic violence.

Elliott abandoned his legal fight over the suspension Wednesday. He has five games left to serve.

"Your client's antics, whatever their motivation, are damaging the league and reflect conduct detrimental to the league's best interests," the letter said.

Jones has said he has issues with compensation in the deal, along with concerns about the escalation of player protests involving the national anthem and how the league has handled them. He also has suggested that owners should revisit the power that the position wields.

The letter confirmed that Jones was removed as a non-voting member of the compensation committee after threatening to sue.

Jones, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August, was accused of sharing with all the owners an outdated document related to the negotiations with Goodell.

"Someone who is genuinely concerned 'that the owners know the truth about the negotiations' would not deliberately distribute such an outdated document, particularly when he has in his possession drafts that are current and accurately reflect the actual state of negotiations, or threaten to sue the league and its owners if he does not get his way," the letter said.

Jones has acknowledged being at odds with the compensation committee chairman, Atlanta owner Arthur Blank, over the Goodell talks. They didn't speak on the field before the Falcons' 27-7 victory over the Cowboys on Sunday.

Blank issued a statement Monday saying the committee planned to proceed with finalizing the Goodell deal and would keep other owners updated.

Jones claimed Tuesday on his radio show that "well over half" the owners agree with him in wanting a final vote after the committee is finished negotiating the deal.

"With due respect, we urge Mr. Jones to drop his misguided litigation threats and media campaign to undermine the committee's mandate," the letter said. "And we urge Mr. Jones to support the committee's deliberations, not attempt to sabotage them."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Feud-Grows-Between-NFL-Cowboys-Jerry-Jones-Over-Goodell-457863003.html

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: Jones requests a league meeting to discuss Goodell’s contract extension

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

November 16, 2017 05:10 PM

UPDATED 1 MINUTE AGO

FRISCO —

Dallas Cowboys is not backing down on his attempt to block a contract extension for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, despite “threats of retaliation” from other NFL owners.

Jones on Thursday requested a special league meeting to discuss Goodell’s contract extension negotiations, according to the Wall Street Journal.

According to the report, Jones sent the NFL a letter, calling for a meeting on Nov. 28 to discuss the negotiations, oversight of the compensation committee handling the deal, and the date of a vote on the extension. He cited “threats of retaliation” against him by other owners in recent weeks, which included reports of possible discipline from suspension, to fines, to loss of possible draft picks.

The NFL “has undergone unprecedented upheaval in the last two years, including a significant decline in television ratings, increased advertiser discontent, high-profile litigation concerning player suspensions, and decreasing ticket sales,” Jones wrote in the letter, per the Wall Street Journal. “This is not the time for the League to undertake massive contractual obligations which are inconsistent with the League’s performance.”

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said the team had no comment on the matter.

Jones has threatened to sue the NFL and has refused to back down in attempts to obstruct the extension, which has been discussed by the league’s compensation committee.

The league sent a letter to Jones’ lawyer, David Boies, who Jones hired to represent him in a possible suit against the NFL. The letter says that Jones’ “antics” are “damaging the League and reflect conduct detrimental to the League’s best interests.”

The disciplinary actions include a fine, suspension or loss off a draft pick or picks by the Cowboys, the report said.

“With due respect, we urge Mr. Jones to drop his misguided litigation threats and media campaign to undermine the Committee’s mandate,” said the letter sent from NFL attorney Brad S. Karp to Boies, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post.

“We urge Mr. Jones to honor the resolution that he and his fellow owners adopted and allow the Committee to continue its work, in compliance with the May 2017 Resolution and the League Constitution. And we urge Mr. Jones to support the Committee’s deliberations, not attempt to sabotage them.”

Cotton

Staff member
Owners to devote session to Roger Goodell deal at Dec. 13 meeting
7:54 PM CT
Todd ArcherAdam Schefter

When the NFL convenes for its Dec. 13 meeting in Irving, Texas, there will be an owners-only session that will deal with the impending extension for commissioner Roger Goodell, according to sources.

The session was scheduled after Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones requested a special meeting in front of the full ownership group on Nov. 28 in New York. The Wall Street Journal first reported Jones' request. Jones' meeting request was denied, but owners will make time for a session two weeks later, sources said.

Jones and the NFL have had a back-and-forth regarding the extension talks that have had both sides threatening legal action.

Jerry Jones sent a letter to ownership suggesting a Nov. 28 meeting to discuss the negotiations over Roger Goodell's contract extension negotiations, but league owners currently don't plan to act on the request, a source told ESPN.

On Wednesday, The Associated Press obtained a letter sent to Jones from the compensation committee that accused him of "conduct detrimental to the league's best interest."

Jones was an ad hoc member of the compensation committee until he was removed by chairman and Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank after threatening legal action against the NFL and the six teams that make up the committee if the extension for Goodell was finalized.

In his Tuesday appearance on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, Jones said he wants the league to "slow the train down" on an extension for Goodell. Last May, all 32 owners voted unanimously to let the committee finalize a deal with Goodell.

In Jones' letter to ownership, he said he wanted the Nov. 28 sit-down in order to discuss the negotiations, oversight of the compensation committee handling Goodell's deal and the date of a vote on the extension. He also cited "unprecedented upheaval" in the NFL over the past two seasons, saying, "This is not the time for the League to undertake massive contractual obligations which are inconsistent with the League's performance."

Jones has denied that his objections to the extension are tied to Goodell's decision to suspend Cowboys star running back Ezekiel Elliott for six games over alleged domestic violence.

Elliott abandoned his legal fight over the suspension on Wednesday. He has five games left to serve and will be able to rejoin the Cowboys for their Dec. 24 home game against the Seattle Seahawks.

Jones has said he has issues with compensation in the Goodell deal, along with concerns about the escalation of player protests involving the national anthem and how the league has handled them. He also has suggested that owners should revisit the power that the position wields.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I remember when Jones blurted out "he'll have plenty to say in due time" when asked in the very beginning if he had anything to say about Zekes suspension.

I'm guessing this is what he was waiting for.

:lol

On the flip side, Jones must have some semblence of support from enough owners to call the Committees hand. Because they haven't done shit with Goodells contract, and now are going to have a special owners only meeting.

Fuck Blank...he's a dipshit.

Cotton

Staff member
I remember when Jones blurted out "he'll have plenty to say in due time" when asked in the very beginning if he had anything to say about Zekes suspension.

On the flip side, Jones must have some semblence of support from enough owners to call the Committees hand. Because they haven't done shit with Goodells contract, and now are going to have a special owners only meeting.

I would bet good money that behind closed doors the NFL compensation committee doesn't have near the confidence they are showing to the public. I think they are probably pretty worried that there is a chance their progress towards a renewed contract gets delayed bare minimum.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I would bet good money that behind closed doors the NFL compensation committee doesn't have near the confidence they are showing to the public. I think they are probably pretty worried that there is a chance their progress towards a renewed contract gets delayed bare minimum.
Schefter reported yesterday that his source within the NFL that told him a few days ago that he was 100% certain the Goodell deal would go through, but yesterday, he reduced the number to 75%.

As Schefter said, that's still a very high probability, but just the fact that the guy reduced his odds by 25% just days after saying that it was a sure thing means that Jerry Jones is gaining traction.

Cotton

Staff member
I am not making this up... this is exactly what Jerry supposedly told Goodell when Goodell initially called to tell him Zeke was suspended.

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

It's a long article, but if you want to read it... http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21441056/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-bitter-battle-saw-coming-led-dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones

Cotton

Staff member
This is from that same article....

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This is kind of like an Eagles-Steelers game where you wish for a giant sinkhole to open up and wipe out both of them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I am not making this up... this is exactly what Jerry supposedly told Goodell when Goodell initially called to tell him Zeke was suspended.

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

It's a long article, but if you want to read it... http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21441056/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-bitter-battle-saw-coming-led-dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones

Damn.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is from that same article....

This part here is very telling to me:

Nobody knows what Jones is going to do. But at the age of 58, Goodell is fighting to keep his job. In public, he looks fresh and energetic, and he is more resolute than ever to leave with a legacy of having come close to fixing football's long-standing issues. Up close, though, his face has changed due to relentless stress; it is now sallow and lined and tired. Roger Goodell is in a battle few saw coming, with the league's membership teetering on an all-out, unprecedented civil war.
I don't think this will have a negative effect on Jerry's day to day quality of life. That bastard there is one stubborn, resolute S.O.B. and I can see him going through this fight for as long as he has to and not skip a beat or bat an eye.

Goodell on the other hand? He's already been through rough times and he has shown that he'll bend. With a wife and 2 younger kids, how much of this public bashing and daily amounts of overwhelming stress can he take?

If I'm Jerry, I would be trying to go about this two ways: Try to win this thing by convincing more owners to join you and/or wear that bastard down until he simply throws in the towel because he just doesn't want to do deal with it anymore.

Either way, when it's all said and done Jerry will still be the owner of the league's most popular team and won't be any worse off than he is right now. But Goodell, even if he wins, could end up losing and suffering a lot.

So I hope Jerry goes all in until it's simply not possible to go on anymore and makes Goodell pay one way or the other.

Cotton

Staff member
Daniel Snyder emerges as primary ally of Jerry Jones
Posted by Mike Florio on November 17, 2017, 11:32 AM EST

Dogs and cats are indeed living together, as the NFL borders on mass hysteria.

In his ongoing assault against the contract extension to be given to Commissioner Roger Goodell, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones still has a small cadre of like-minded owners. The strongest supporter is believed to be the man who owns one of his top on-field rivals.

As noted here last week, Washington owner Daniel Snyder urged Jones to accept an offer from Falcons owner Arthur Blank to accept a vote on the Compensation Committee, which Blank chairs. More recently, suspicions have emerged regarding Snyder assuming an active role in leaking information to the media — information that may or may not be accurate.

For example, as one league source explained it to PFT, some suspect that Snyder was the source of a report from CNBC’s Scott Wapner that more than half of all owners want to press the brakes on Goodell’s new contract. Likewise, it’s not unreasonable to wonder whether Snyder was the unnamed owner who dismissed to the Washington Post the possibility of Jones facing anything more than payment of the NFL’s legal fees and also a fine in connection with his (so far hollow) threat to sue the league.

Though the possibility of franchise forfeiture remains remote, the NFL already has told Jones that he faces the loss of draft picks and a possible suspension for engaging in conduct detrimental to the league. Logic and common sense suggest that only someone sympathetic to Jones would scoff at any potential punishment more than financial in nature.

It’s still unclear which owners agree with Jones and Snyder. It’s believed that Jones has a total of four or five allies, and there’s no evidence that the group has grown in recent weeks. At this point, it would take at least 24 to undo the mandate provided in May to the Compensation Committee to negotiate and finalize a new contract with Goodell.

So why hasn’t the deal been done? That’s a question for a future blurb.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've never been one to believe in referee conspiracies or the league trying to tilt outcomes, despite the bullshit that happened against the Packers the last two playoff games, but at this point I'm expecting there to be plenty of questionable shit going down in our games for the foreseeable future.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I have no doubt that Jerry will at the very least gain a lot of traction. Because he's smart enough to frame this through something just about every owner will listen to - their wallets.

vince

Not So New Member
I've never been one to believe in referee conspiracies or the league trying to tilt outcomes, despite the bullshit that happened against the Packers the last two playoff games, but at this point I'm expecting there to be plenty of questionable shit going down in our games for the foreseeable future.
Hell the Patriots winning the way they did last year is enough to tell me there's a conspiracy going on.

data

Forbes #1
I have no doubt that Jerry will at the very least gain a lot of traction. Because he's smart enough to frame this through something just about every owner will listen to - their wallets.
A significant enough sized Boycott Goodell Campaign could garner attention.

Top Bottom