Jerry Jones hires lawyer and threatens to sue over Roger Goodell extension

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not pro Jerry at all, but I may be even more anti-Goodell. The guy is bad for the league.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That would be an unconscionable and unacceptable exercise of power from the commissioner. I'd never support something like that.

If we think what he's doing to Zeke and other players is beyond the pale, and what he's doing to the game and the league is beyond the pale, forcing out an owner in a power play is several steps beyond even those things.

Hell no.

It's not about Jerry, it's about the autonomy of each and every franchise.
Yeah anyone who would be happy with Jones losing his franchise over a Commissioner who just a few days ago was hated by the same people who thought he had too much power and needed to be ousted is almost comical. What circumstance could anyone think that this is a desired outcome. They arei pretty mixed up.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

GShock

DCC 4Life
Stephen's not been forwarding League mail for some time.

Cotton

Staff member
Committee wants Jerry Jones to stop threatening Roger Goodell talks
ESPN.com news services

The NFL's compensation committee has given Jerry Jones a cease-and-desist warning in response to the Dallas Cowboys owner's threat to sue the league over contract extension talks with commissioner Roger Goodell, according to The New York Times.

The committee issued the warning to Jones after holding a conference call Monday to discuss Goodell's potential extension, according to the Times.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank released a statement Monday, saying that the committee is still working toward an extension for Goodell and disputing Jones' assertion that owners have been misled regarding "critical facts" about the negotiations.

"The Committee is continuing its work towards finalizing a contract extension with the Commissioner, consistent with the mandate provided in the unanimous May 2017 Resolution," Blank said in his statement. "Regardless of what may have been reported, the Committee is working within the financial parameters outlined to the ownership at the May meeting. The negotiations are progressing and we will keep ownership apprised of the negotiations as they move forward. We do not intend to publicly comment on our discussions."

Blank, the chairman of the six-member committee, terminated Jones as a non-voting, ad-hoc seventh member Saturday because of Jones' threat to sue the league.

In a letter sent last week to owners on the committee, Jones claimed he "has discovered a number of very concerning issues" while engaged as a committee member, including that "the Ownership (sic) and Jerry Jones now understand that they have been unquestionably misled" by Blank and that "critical facts" have been misrepresented regarding Goodell's contract.

ESPN reported Sunday that Goodell's last written counterproposal, sent to the committee around Aug. 1, was seeking approximately $49.5 million in annual salary and included the lifetime use of a private jet and lifetime health insurance for his family.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones, Jerry Jones' son, said during a radio interview Monday that he and his father "want what's in the best interest of the league."

"We're not against Roger, we just don't know if this is the time to be talking about a major contract extension when the league certainly has incredible challenges in terms of where we are with the league," Stephen Jones said during an interview with 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. "Whether that's our ratings, whether that's our concern with our sponsors, I think we need to be focusing on our business and not necessarily on contract extensions.

"It's not that we're against Roger. I think Jerry has been vocal about it, that's certainly not easy to do when you have certain momentums that are going one way and you take a contrarian stance. ... In his mind, what we take as an organization, we just don't think it's in the best interest of the NFL right now to move forward."

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Jerry Jones said there is no truth that he has a replacement in mind for a new commissioner. His fight of the extension for Roger Goodell is mostly about timing. "He has 18 months (left before the contract expires)," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. "We've got all the time in the world to extend him. We need to slow this train down." Jones said he would not back off his threat of suing the NFL if there is an extension.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Jerry has a good point here. Why the big rush to get him re-signed?

Cotton

Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't understand the rush or the huge salary. These are all smart guys -- why do they approve the ridiculous salary?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry Jones said there is no truth that he has a replacement in mind for a new commissioner. His fight of the extension for Roger Goodell is mostly about timing. "He has 18 months (left before the contract expires)," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. "We've got all the time in the world to extend him. We need to slow this train down." Jones said he would not back off his threat of suing the NFL if there is an extension.

It's not like they have to worry about Goodell being poached by another company, there's no way he makes anywhere close to that much anywhere else

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There's barely any point to the commissioner's position to begin with. On top of that, all this current guy does is muck everything up and leech off of the popularity the league built over the past 40 years.

You could probably hire any reasonably intelligent person for 1/50th of what this buffoon wants and not notice a single bit of difference.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There's barely any point to the commissioner's position to begin with. On top of that, all this current guy does is muck everything up and leech off of the popularity the league built over the past 40 years.

You could probably hire any reasonably intelligent person for 1/50th of what this buffoon wants and not notice a single bit of difference.
Fine, fine, you don't have to twist my arm.

I'll do it.

I'll even promote Garrett to league offices to rid you guys of him.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't understand the rush or the huge salary. These are all smart guys -- why do they approve the ridiculous salary?
In contrast to the $50 mill a year that Goodell is wanting, Adam Silver only makes $11 mill a year.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
In contrast to the $50 mill a year that Goodell is wanting, Adam Silver only makes $11 mill a year.
Yes, and IMO Silver has done a fairly good job keeping everyone content in the NBA. Whereas dipshit Goodell has been terrible for the game in general.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yes, and IMO Silver has done a fairly good job keeping everyone content in the NBA. Whereas dipshit Goodell has been terrible for the game in general.
Even if GOodell weren't doing a terrible job, I have a hard time understanding why the NFL commissioner warrants compensation of that type.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I believe Silver had a large hand in forcing out Sam Hinkie from the Sixers, so fuck Adam Silver too.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
It's not like they have to worry about Goodell being poached by another company, there's no way he makes anywhere close to that much anywhere else
That and his salary is tax exempt.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Yep. The Commissioner can see the handwriting on the wall as far as his tenure with this job. The players Association is getting ready to get crossways with him and probably other owners are getting disenchanted with his dictator style of governance. He is probably trying to get his deal in place with the few that have any regard for him namely the committee who deals with salaries and benefits. I think all of this is going to blowup in his face before it’s all said and done.

Top Bottom