Jerry Jones hires lawyer and threatens to sue over Roger Goodell extension

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Frank Schwab
Shutdown CornerNov 8, 2017, 3:49 PM

Jerry Jones isn’t happy with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell anymore, and the feud might get ugly for the NFL.

According to the New York Times, the Dallas Cowboys owner has hired lawyer David Boies (who finds himself involved in the Harvey Weinstein scandal) and has threatened to sue the league and some team owners over the negotiations over Goodell’s contract extension. The Times reported there was a conference call with Jones and the NFL’s compensation committee — owners from the Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Texans — and Jones told them legal papers were drawn up and would be served this Friday unless the committee drops its plan to give Goodell an extension. Goodell’s contract expires after the 2018 season.

While nothing has happened yet, it’s a growing issue for the league.

While there are plenty of criticisms of Goodell, including questions about television ratings and much of the attention for this season on player anthem protests, it’s easy to wonder if Jones is getting back at Goodell for suspending his star running back Ezekiel Elliott. The NFL suspended Elliott six games in August over an alleged domestic violence incident, after Jones was adamant there was no evidence against him. Elliott has continued to play while the issue works its way through the courts, but Jones still seems to have turned on Goodell over the suspension. The New York Times report said the threats over Goodell’s extension “stems from Jones’s anger over the commissioner’s suspending” of Elliott.

Goodell has faced heat from the outside, but it has been rare to hear any owners rip him publicly. The league has grown to unprecedented financial success under Goodell. But with so many negative off-field stories dominating the action on the field recently, the tide seems to be turning.

Goodell and the NFL did what it thought was right in suspending Elliott. In doing so, it seems the commissioner made a very powerful enemy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No wonder we haven't been getting holding calls for weeks.

The league has known this is up.

Same as in 1995. Here we go.

midswat

... soon
People keep complaining we’re not getting holding calls. We’re leading the league in sacks. Maybe because people aren’t holding against us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
People keep complaining we’re not getting holding calls. We’re leading the league in sacks. Maybe because people aren’t holding against us.
You would think if we are winning at the line that often teams would do everything they possibly could to stop us, up to and including holding us.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What in the world would he actually sue them for? He can't sue just because they don't vote the way he'd like.

Or he could, but I don't see on what grounds he'd win.

midswat

... soon
If people were holding against us and the refs were just not calling it because omg goodell mara conspiracy! then how would a team and a defensive coordinator who has struggled to generate sacks forever finally lead the league in sacks?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You would think if we are winning at the line that often teams would do everything they possibly could to stop us, up to and including holding us.
Even I am only half kidding when I imply there is a league wide conspiracy against us. But there is something more than random chance.

And yeah, having a good DL would indicate it should draw more holdings as teams struggle to stop it, not less.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just like how OL coaches can teach how to "hold" like GB, there are techniques that DLs can use to draw holding penalties. A lot of it has to do with hand usage, how much a player uses speed versus power, etc.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If people were holding against us and the refs were just not calling it because omg goodell mara conspiracy! then how would a team and a defensive coordinator who has struggled to generate sacks forever finally lead the league in sacks?
Because on clean breaks, hold or no hold we are getting to the QB.

It’s the questionable stuff (which almost all holding is) that is simply not being called.

Like I said above, I am half kidding when I say there’s a conspiracy. But if there’s not, then it’s some other reason. Maybe the refs are overreacting to our own OLs dominance or something.

There is no way that it just has happened that the best pass rush in the league has had no one hold them to the level that is called against the Dallas OL, in 5 weeks. Not possible, not believable. There is an explanation somewhere besides that “it just hasn’t happened.”

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just like how OL coaches can teach how to "hold" like GB, there are techniques that DLs can use to draw holding penalties. A lot of it has to do with hand usage, how much a player uses speed versus power, etc.
This doesn’t explain the blatant holds that are missed such as Sean Lee’s last week where Kelce basically bear hugged him.

midswat

... soon
Because on clean breaks, hold or no hold we are getting to the QB.

It’s the questionable stuff (which almost all holding is) that is simply not being called.

Like I said above, I am half kidding when I say there’s a conspiracy. But if there’s not, then it’s some other reason. Maybe the refs are overreacting to our own OLs dominance or something.

There is no way that it just has happened that the best pass rush in the league has had no one hold them to the level that is called against the Dallas OL, in 5 weeks. Not possible, not believable. There is an explanation somewhere besides that “it just hasn’t happened.”
Refs are screwing us.

#dbair

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm not one to claim there is a conspiracy against us, but you sure have to wonder. To think there just might not be any holding against us is laughable. Sean Lee was mauled on more than one occasion, as was Lawrence. And that's just what we can see from our TV. If you think it's not happening, I don't know what to tell you.

As for more sacks, it's not like they're coming from guys that have a history of just doing absolutely nothing. Both Lawrence and Irving have shown they can rush the passer. Maliek Collins has shown it. Crawford has shown flashes. Now they have a little experience playing together, and it's showing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For all I know Jerry was fighting the extension behind the scenes before the suspension for Zeke. Hell maybe we all have it backwards. Maybe the Zeke suspension was a grudge the commish had against Jerry.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For all I know Jerry was fighting the extension behind the scenes before the suspension for Zeke. Hell maybe we all have it backwards. Maybe the Zeke suspension was a grudge the commish had against Jerry.
That makes far more sense to me.

It took a very very long time to develop and how it finally went down seemed like it was like a nuclear option.

midswat

... soon
I'm not one to claim there is a conspiracy against us, but you sure have to wonder. To think there just might not be any holding against us is laughable. Sean Lee was mauled on more than one occasion, as was Lawrence. And that's just what we can see from our TV. If you think it's not happening, I don't know what to tell you.

As for more sacks, it's not like they're coming from guys that have a history of just doing absolutely nothing. Both Lawrence and Irving have shown they can rush the passer. Maliek Collins has shown it. Crawford has shown flashes. Now they have a little experience playing together, and it's showing.
I'm not saying its not happening. I just don't buy any conspiracy thing. Ref's miss calls in every game. Mostly holding and pass interference.

And while those guys have "shown flashes", they're both playing like Reggie White all of a sudden.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: Jerry Jones believes Goodell lied about Ezekiel Elliott

Posted by Mike Florio on November 8, 2017, 6:24 PM EST

So why is Cowboys owner Jerry Jones targeting Commissioner Roger Goodell? On the surface, it’s supposedly about the contract, and only about the contract.

But the it’s-just-business approach has a very real personal element to it. According to Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jones believes that Goodell lied about the question of whether running back Ezekiel Elliott would be suspended. Specifically, Jones believes Goodell said Elliott would not be suspended.

Per Hill, Jones views the situation as an “unforgivable breach of trust.”

Jones has publicly commented on several occasions about the Elliott suspension, arguing that the situation results from a flawed internal disciplinary process that emerged from an overreaction to the Ray Rice mess. More than three years later, this new mess could end up being just as messy, if not messier.

Top Bottom