MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yep. Just dumb. Sad because it involves our top catching prospect. Sure hope it doesnt derail his career and he can learn from this idiocy.
Maybe he has learned how to give a great handjob.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
That is atrocious. The only appropriate action, in my opinion, is to give the Rangers organization the death penalty.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yep. Just dumb. Sad because it involves our top catching prospect. Sure hope it doesnt derail his career and he can learn from this idiocy.
:lol

I can think of other reasons why it's sad beside involving your top catching prospect and threatening his career.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol

I can think of other reasons why it's sad beside involving your top catching prospect and threatening his career.
Thought that was pretty much a given but I guess you have to really spell things out here.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yoenis Cespedes returning to Mets on 4-year, $110M deal
BY Kristie Ackert
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 2:42 PM

Yoenis Cespedes will be back with the Mets in 2017. The Cuban slugger and the Mets agreed to a record-breaking four-year, $110 million deal Tuesday afternoon, sources said, ending the suspense on his future well before the Winter Meetings.

The deal gives the 31-year-old left fielder the top average annual value (AAV) for an outfielder ever and the second-highest AAV for a position player after Miguel Cabrera. It breaks the Mets’ record for an AAV and gives Cespedes a full no-trade clause.

He will get $22.5 million in his first year, then $29 million, $29 million and $29.5 million, according to Jon Heyman.

Cespedes had walked away from $47 million in the final two years of his contract with the Mets when he opted out earlier this month, hoping to find a multi-year, mega contract this winter. He seemingly found the best deal for him right back in Flushing.

The Mets made re-signing Cespedes their main priority this winter and let the right-handed bat know that, through direct communications with his agent and also through back channel communications. They believed his relationships within the team and his comfort level playing in New York would give them the advantage, and it seemingly did.

He was reportedly talking to four teams — including the Dodgers, Giants and Nationals — and there was some concern that the Mets would be beat out by the offer of a fifth year.

Cespedes, however, was most valuable to the Mets.

They desperately needed his right-handed bat back in their lineup. He almost single-handedly sparked the Mets on to their 2015 World Series run after they acquired him in a deadline-day trade from the Tigers. Last season, Cespedes hit 31 home runs and drove in 86 runs in 132 games, despite playing with a nagging right quad injury for most of the season.

That means the Mets landed their two main free-agent targets for this offseason. Re-signing Cespedes was their top priority along with re-signing second baseman Neil Walker.

But Sandy Alderson’s work is not done.

The Mets GM will now have to make room for Cespedes in the outfield and on the Mets’ payroll. Alderson will look to move right fielder Jay Bruce. The Mets had picked up his $13 million option for 2017 as a safety net in case they did not sign Cespedes, but they will try to turn him around, possibly for a back-of-the-bullpen reliever or another right-handed bat.
--------------------------------------------------

Pretty high AAV but a move the Mets probably had to make. As with any big contract only time will tell if this will be worth it but 4 years is a good length for a guy like Cespedes, IMO.

Apparently the Astros made a pretty strong run at him and may now turn their attention to Edwin Encarnacion.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
For their first 'meh' move of the offseason the Cubs inked John Jay to a 1 year $8M deal. Sadly this is probably a sign that Fowler is gone. I did not expect the Cubs to shell out the kind of dough it was going to take to keep him but was still hopeful they would. Seems like they will probably go with an Almora/Jay CF, mostly Almora hopefully. Underwhelming from an offensive standpoint but Jay will probably only play against tough righties & Almora is an outstanding defensive CF. With Heyward in RF & Almora in CF it will matter less that Schwarber & Zobrist will likely both see significant time in LF.

Time to trade Jorge Soler in a package for a SP.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Bringing Cespedes back was huge. We are far too lefthanded in the lineup as it is, but his value in wins and losses is the kicker....since he came to the Mets we are 106-74...18-23 without.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned

:tippytoe

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Would love to add Encarnacion. It's either him or Napoli. I would take either.

Rev

Staff member

Would love to add Encarnacion. It's either him or Napoli. I would take either.
Everybody goes to Texas to raise their offers. Can't see anyway they will be able to afford Encarnacion. Napoli will be back once he finds his asking price is too much.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Exciting to see what the Astros are doing, but not sure why are just pouring all resources into the offense...they need pitching. They actually pitched well last year, but my thinking is that they are going to be better offensively, just with the development of the young offensive core they have together. Maybe in adding these pieces they would be more apt to move some of their higher level hitting prospects for pitching.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Exciting to see what the Astros are doing, but not sure why are just pouring all resources into the offense...they need pitching. They actually pitched well last year, but my thinking is that they are going to be better offensively, just with the development of the young offensive core they have together. Maybe in adding these pieces they would be more apt to move some of their higher level hitting prospects for pitching.
That's pretty much the thinking, this is just a year with scarce top of the line prospects.

Everybody wants Bregman and I think that is the major sticking point.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I read today that they are willing to part with either McHugh or Fiers. McHugh is under control through 2019 (arb eligible in 2017) and is only 29 so I might ask about his price as a Hammel replacement if I were the Cubs. He is not great by any stretch but a decent back end of the rotation guy with some potential to be a little better then that.

Fiers has a similar contract situation but is a couple years old so I wonder if he has a lower asking price. He has not exactly been an innings eater. I would definitely not give up any top end prospects for either of these guys and I can't imagine any team will. They can probably get a couple of decent pieces but I guess it is going to depend on if they get enough to make it worth moving one of them. Sounds like it would be a cost saving move since both are arb eligible in 2017.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

:tippytoe
I can not tell you how awesome it is that "pulling off a Cubs season" is now the goal around the league. For so long "pulling a Cubs" was generally associated with some sort of epic failure.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The Washington Nationals, balking at Bryce Harper’s demands in early talks about a long-term contract extension, now are preparing themselves to be without their All-Star outfielder after 2018, a high-ranking Nationals executive told USA TODAY Sports.

The executive spoke to USA TODAY Sports on Monday only on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the negotiations.

Harper, according to the executive, is asking for a record deal that will exceed 10 years in length, and likely pay him in excess of $400 million.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Rev

Staff member
Sale is just too hard to get.

Top Bottom