Williams: Cowboys didn’t miss Dez Bryant ... for at least one game

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you always need good WRs in this league, but if we aren't mainly focused on improving the defense in the offseason we are failing
The only downside to that is it generally takes a year before young defensive players are ready to be real impact guys. So if you're looking for immidiate results free agency si where you really want to look hard.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The only downside to that is it generally takes a year before young defensive players are ready to be real impact guys. So if you're looking for immidiate results free agency si where you really want to look hard.
I don't think we need to take such a narrow view of team building anymore now that our window isn't confined to whatever Romo has left.

We should have a good 5 year window with Prescott obviously, but also with Elliott and the OL at their peak. We need to build a dominant defense in that time, so far we have a few nice pieces in Jones, Lawrence, Collins, maybe Smith, but we need more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think we need to take such a narrow view of team building anymore now that our window isn't confined to whatever Romo has left.

We should have a good 5 year window with Prescott obviously, but also with Elliott and the OL at their peak. We need to build a dominant defense in that time, so far we have a few nice pieces in Jones, Lawrence, Collins, maybe Smith, but we need more.
I don't disagree with that thought process, but by that logic doesn't it make WR even more reasonable? In a 5 year window, how much of that will Dez be here for at a high level? I want to build this defense but I think this "must go defense" is a short sited approach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Wha...wha?

You are implying the Romo window is shut?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't disagree with that thought process, but by that logic doesn't it make WR even more reasonable? In a 5 year window, how much of that will Dez be here for at a high level? I want to build this defense but I think this "must go defense" is a short sited approach.
I'm not against a WR in the 1st at all, I'd just lean towards LB or safety all things being equal, and obviously DL. I'd even take the right CB if a guy with great ball skills like Tabor is there, although he seems like a bit of a dunce.

dallen

Senior Tech
We need to do both honestly. If we want to compete soon we're going to have to do something in free agency to band-aid the defense, but to build depth we'll have to draft and develop our own.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We need to do both honestly. If we want to compete soon we're going to have to do something in free agency to band-aid the defense, but to build depth we'll have to draft and develop our own.
Yeah, and it's not like we have been ignoring the defense. I mean we have been investing a number of picks in it over the last few years with guys like Collins, Jaylon Smith, Lawrence, Jones, Gregory, Tapper and Anthony Hitchens. Just that some might not be panning out (Randy Gregory) and others are still young and developing (Jones/Lawrence/Collins).

I think it is early to be looking at next years draft but obviously we want more D-lineman. We should load up on a position like that like we have on the O-line. But honestly if we are picking in the middle to latter portions of the first round, you just want big time impact players. If JuJu Smith-Schuster/Mike Williams is there in the middle to late first round, I'd certainly consider them as legit lead NFL WRs. Of course if you present me with an elite LBer/corner/safety/D-lineman prospect I'd be all for them too.

Top Bottom