QB Controversy Thread...

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Not in dispute, and irrelevant. We're talking about going forward. You think Prescott, I think Romo.
I hate to be a dick but I think you're living in a fantasy world that really wasn't all that great when it actually wasn't all that great to begin with.

Yes, he has put up some great regular season numbers and have set a lot of Cowboys records but this franchise is measured by Super Bowl trophies (despite the culture that Jerry World has created since Johnson left), not regular season stars. There's no trophy for being the regular season champion.

For as good as Romo has been he's no Brady, or Peyton, or Brees, or even the retarded Manning for that matter.

We've seen the best of Romo and the best delivered us a total of two playoff victories. That lack of production doesn't deserve or warrant this type of job security for someone who we can no longer rely on to even get through a game any longer. This guy couldn't even get through 3 snaps of a freaking preseason game and this coming from a guy who said he hasn't felt better in years.

With the start on Sunday Dak will have played, and contributed, as much to this team in the last two seasons as Romo has. Just let that sink in for a minute or few.

And quite honesty given how Romo played last season, especially his last two starts I'm not sure I want to see that again given the spark and game-to-game improvements that we've seen from Dak.

I'm ready to start looking towards the future rather than dwelling in the past.

So honest question, how many more times should we give Romo his job back post injury before we say enough is enough?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You are underselling dramatically how good Romo has been, quite recently. In 2014 he and Aaron Rodgers were basically the two best QBs in football.

I dunno, you tell me how many times I should want to give that another chance.

I hate to be a dick, but you are also living in a fantasy world about Prescott at this point. People are itching for the future because the potential of youth is always exciting, and they are remembering about the last 5 quarters Romo has played instead of the last 15 games. Why was our record in those games? Like 14-1 or something?

But three games of Dak and he's better. You're ready to move on. :lol

But I'm living in the fantasy world.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why not wait and see how he comes back first? It may play out by itself.
That's the whole idea. If he gets injured again it will take its course and the organization will be in a better position to deal with contract issues, etc. In addition the fan base will be behind the replacement. If he isn't injured then his performance will speak for itself.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And this is not coming from a huge Romo apologist btw. Those of you who've been here probably remember that I've been pushing them to draft a Romo challenger/replacement since Brady Quinn. I definitely know he is on ice that is at least a little thin both in terms of health and performance. I am glad it looks like we've lucked into a future starting QB again without basically investing any real assets.

But Romo has been an elite QB very recently, at least last time he was healthy and had a running game. He should have those things again. He's earned the right to get another shot that as a rookie Dak has not yet.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You are underselling dramatically how good Romo has been, quite recently. In 2014 he and Aaron Rodgers were basically the two best QBs in football.

I dunno, you tell me how many times I should want to give that another chance.

I hate to be a dick, but you are also living in a fantasy world about Prescott at this point. People are itching for the future because the potential of youth is always exciting, and they are remembering about the last 5 quarters Romo has played instead of the last 15 games. Why was our record in those games? Like 14-1 or something?

But three games of Dak and he's better. You're ready to move on. :lol

But I'm living in the fantasy world.
Yep, exactly right.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I love Romo, I think his greatness will be overlooked...based on his failure in some big spots, but also the spectacle that is the Dallas Cowboys.

At this point though, he is just not capable of staying healthy. This last hit that knocked him out was not some big hit...it was pretty nondescript, but he is out for half the season at least because of that. His back just seems brittle...even when he moves around in non-football moves.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dak's surprisingly high level of play means that Tony can fully, and I mean fully, heal. There is now NO rush to get Tony back, none. So take your time Tony, Dak's got this.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Romo is a top 5 / top 10 QB. He's earned the right to keep his job when healthy. If he gets hurt again, put Dak back in. It's that simple.

If Romo isn't good anymore, let him show it first. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

There's no hurry to keep Dak in there, and he may benefit from watching Romo for a bit.
I agree with this mostly because I don't think this is a championship caliber team but if Dak keeps getting better my tune will change.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But Romo has been an elite QB very recently, at least last time he was healthy and had a running game. He should have those things again. He's earned the right to get another shot that as a rookie Dak has not yet.
And when Romo gets hurt again, is Dak just holding the spot warm until Romo gets healthy again? I'm just tired of that same song and dance. I've been loyal to Romo his whole career but before this season ever started I said all the signs are there that Romo will get hurt yet again. And he did.

I think you're just hurting the future at this point by forcing Tony back onto the field over Dak.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I love Romo, I think his greatness will be overlooked...based on his failure in some big spots, but also the spectacle that is the Dallas Cowboys.

At this point though, he is just not capable of staying healthy. This last hit that knocked him out was not some big hit...it was pretty nondescript, but he is out for half the season at least because of that. His back just seems brittle...even when he moves around in non-football moves.
I don't think he can be counted on to stay healthy anymore but that hit was anything but nondescript there was a lot of torque and compression going on there.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
And when Romo gets hurt again, is Dak just holding the spot warm until Romo gets healthy again? I'm just tired of that same song and dance. I've been loyal to Romo his whole career but before this season ever started I said all the signs are there that Romo will get hurt yet again. And he did.

I think you're just hurting the future at this point by forcing Tony back onto the field over Dak.
Exactly right.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Exactly right.
Romo will either be able to play or not play but that will not hurt Dak. He is already on the team and is prepared to step in at any time. When he was drafted he nor anyone on the board thought he would step in and take over right away. Romo s future Will play out one way or another and Prescott will still be available with nothing lost.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Eventually you will hit a spot where Romo is no longer the best option, but that point is not now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What Dak has done is super impressive, no doubt. Love his poise and composure.

But you can't underestimate how horrible the Bears are. Total train wreck on both sides of the ball. Let's see what happens against a good team, which we probably haven't even played yet. (The Giants might turn out to be pretty good.)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What Dak has done is super impressive, no doubt. Love his poise and composure.

But you can't underestimate how horrible the Bears are. Total train wreck on both sides of the ball. Let's see what happens against a good team, which we probably haven't even played yet. (The Giants might turn out to be pretty good.)
Just to be clear this isn't some type of an overreaction to one game against the Bears. This isn't just one amazing preseason anymore. Dak has a pretty decent track record now. And I'm sure he will have a bad game eventually. Every QB does. Romo always seems to have a couple of real stinkers a year. Hell Big Ben just had a really bad one against the Eagles. But I think we have all seen enough to know this isn't just a mirage.

We have 3 more games before Dallas has to really make any decision about Romo starting. That decision may be made by this team either being 2-4 at that point of 5-1. I don't see any way we bench Dak if he is 5-1. Keeping in mind that it would include a win over the Bengals and the Packers in the process. We'd be absolute fools to. Short of that Romo probably gets his shot. And then when he throws his first pick the chants will start for Dak and we will be in the middle of a full blown QB controversy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo will either be able to play or not play but that will not hurt Dak. He is already on the team and is prepared to step in at any time. When he was drafted he nor anyone on the board thought he would step in and take over right away. Romo s future Will play out one way or another and Prescott will still be available with nothing lost.
I'm more concerned about losing games this year because we either rush him back or he is just not the QB he once was than I am about Dak's PT being delayed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm more concerned about losing games this year because we either rush him back or he is just not the QB he once was than I am about Dak's PT being delayed.
I'm more worried about screwing with this teams chemistry if Dak is winning games.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think he can be counted on to stay healthy anymore but that hit was anything but nondescript there was a lot of torque and compression going on there.
Sorry, but this is not some big hit or lots of torque and compression. It is a hit 99% of QBs jump back up from.

Top Bottom