QB Controversy Thread...

townsend

Banned
I still think that's a poor decision. You can have Romo as your starter or you can have Dak and 30 mil extra in cap room to build the defense. To me that's an easy decision. Especially considering Romo's injury history. When you have a starting QB eating up as much cap room as Romo is hinders our ability to do much of anything in free agency to improve the defense.
Yeah, I'd rather roll with Dak and Sanchez in 2017. Or maybe draft another developmental QB as a backup. An injury prone QB is a liability, even without the enormous cap number.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My, how quickly they turn on you.

Good thing Garrett knows how to win without Romo so that we can deal him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well I guess we disagree. But I am not ready to say Prescott is equal to or better than Romo yet either.
He is not better than Romo. A healthy Romo. But honestly, say by some crazy stretch, we are 5-2 with Prescott, what then? Don't want another Beuerlein-Aikman deal in the middle of the season.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Romo is a top 5 / top 10 QB. He's earned the right to keep his job when healthy. If he gets hurt again, put Dak back in. It's that simple.

If Romo isn't good anymore, let him show it first. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

There's no hurry to keep Dak in there, and he may benefit from watching Romo for a bit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo is a top 5 / top 10 QB. He's earned the right to keep his job when healthy. If he gets hurt again, put Dak back in. It's that simple.

If Romo isn't good anymore, let him show it first. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

There's no hurry to keep Dak in there, and he may benefit from watching Romo for a bit.
Yeppers. Experience counts for something.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My, how quickly they turn on you.

Good thing Garrett knows how to win without Romo so that we can deal him.
We all saw it coming when we wanted to trade up for Wentz. Just so happened we lucked out with a fourth round pick

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We all saw it coming when we wanted to trade up for Wentz. Just so happened we lucked out with a fourth round pick
The reasoning was different. It was and is assumed that Romo would be injured and a replacement would need to be put in place for the day he was finished so as not to be left in a lurch. Well that has been done so now it's a matter of whether Romo can continue. That hasn't been finally determined yet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The reasoning was different. It was and is assumed that Romo would be injured and a replacement would need to be put in place for the day he was finished so as not to be left in a lurch. Well that has been done so now it's a matter of whether Romo can continue. That hasn't been finally determined yet.
That is correct, Romo did in fact get hurt just like many of us predicted and the replacement has come in and lit it up. In fact Dak was the top rated QB in the NFL this weekend according to QBR. Which doesn't even take into account the big time runs. How many times does Romo have to get hurt before people want to stick with a QB who is playing like an NFL elite? Just seems silly to me.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I really can't see how anyone would want to go into next season counting on Romo as the starter. His injuries make him way too unreliable at this point. Why not build this team around Prescott after this year? Everyone should have plenty of evidence by now to know Dak isn't just lucking his way into this thing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
That is correct, Romo did in fact get hurt just like many of us predicted and the replacement has come in and lit it up. In fact Dak was the top rated QB in the NFL this weekend according to QBR. Which doesn't even take into account the big time runs. How many times does Romo have to get hurt before people want to stick with a QB who is playing like an NFL elite? Just seems silly to me.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I really can't see how anyone would want to go into next season counting on Romo as the starter. His injuries make him way too unreliable at this point. Why not build this team around Prescott after this year? Everyone should have plenty of evidence by now to know Dak isn't just lucking his way into this thing.
Why not wait and see how he comes back first? It may play out by itself.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why not wait and see how he comes back first? It may play out by itself.
Possibly but I worry that you're kind of throwing off Prescott who is in a groove. Benching the hot hand seems silly. Sort of like Brady and Bledsoe.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

You aren't "counting" on Romo; you have Prescott if Romo is a no go. That's the definition of having your bases covered.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You aren't "counting" on Romo; you have Prescott if Romo is a no go. That's the definition of having your bases covered.
At this point Prescott seems like a more known commodity for this season then Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you advocate using 20-30 mil of your cap space on a guy who is lucky to play 8 games in any given season at this point? That's not covering your bases, that is wasting resources.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Romo's unknown is whether he can stay healthy. I don't see the harm in going with the veteran and then if he falters turning it over to dak.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So you advocate using 20-30 mil of your cap space on a guy who is lucky to play 8 games in any given season at this point? That's not covering your bases, that is wasting resources.
I don't agree with your assessment that he'd be lucky to play 8 games. I think this is the fundamental point of contention here: You think Romo is likely incapable of staying healthy or incapable of being effective. I think there's a good chance he can return to 2014 form. That is not a waste of resources.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Romo's unknown is whether he can stay healthy. I don't see the harm in going with the veteran and then if he falters turning it over to dak.
I'm sure the Patriots are glad they didn't do that when the proven Bledsoe went down and Brady stepped in. I think some harm can be done in benching a young QB playing like an elite QB.

Top Bottom