JJT: Dez Bryant to have MRI for knee injury sustained early in win

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dez Bryant to have MRI for knee injury sustained early in win
8:20 AM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dez Bryant sprained his right knee early in the first quarter Sunday night, but he stayed in the game and caught three passes for 40 yards and a touchdown in the Cowboys' 31-17 win over the Chicago Bears at AT&T Stadium.

Owner Jerry Jones said Bryant will have an MRI on Monday.

"We feel OK," Jones said. "We're going to do some other things, too. But right here, yes. Right now, we're fine. We'll give it another look-see with the MRI."

Bryant suffered the injury on the game's second play, when he caught a hitch, broke a tackle and linebacker Christian Jones dragged him down after an 11-yard gain. As he tumbled out of bounds, Bryant landed awkwardly, his legs going in different directions.

Dak Prescott led scoring drives on all four Dallas possessions in the first half before throwing his first career touchdown pass, and the Cowboys beat the Chicago Bears 31-17 on Sunday night.
He sat on the turf for a moment, then jogged across the field. About 10 yards from the Cowboys' sideline, Bryant dropped to his knees and the Cowboys' training staff attended to him.

Bryant returned after a few plays.

"I saw how the knee took it. That was a little concerning," Jones said. "I did see him moving around, but I saw Michael Irvin -- I'll never forget that -- go back out and play [after an ACL injury]. Let's just see how the MRI goes. We've got what we've seen in here, and that's not something I would be alarmed about."

When the Cowboys were on defense, Bryant spent some time riding an exercise bike on the sideline. The Cowboys led 24-10 in the fourth quarter, when Bryant caught a slant in stride, broke a tackle and lunged into the end zone as the Cowboys took a 21-point lead with 9:02 left in the game.

Bryant made a brief appearance in the locker room, grabbing his clothes, a pair of retro Jordans, and a fistful of diamond-and-gold jewelry.

"I'll be back," he said to the throng of media at his locker. "I won't be too long."

About 45 minutes later, a club spokesman announced he wouldn't be available.

Bryant missed seven games last season. He missed five with a broken right foot early in the season, and the Cowboys shut him down for the last two weeks to avoid further injury.

He had surgery on the foot in the offseason.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When I watched the replay during the game it looked like the ankle was the part that was badly bent but I guess it's okay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This still makes me nervous. Dez is a guy who will play through some pain so it worries me that there could be more injury there then indicated by his quick return to the game.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Still no updates? Scares me with this team. We'll find out tomorrow they have to amputate his lower torso.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The longer it takes for the Dez news to come out the worse I think the news will be.

The first kiss of death was Jerry claiming that Dez was "OK". Pretty much the same thing he said about Romo.

I think whatever is wrong with Dez will probably result in him being sidelined for at least a month.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The longer it takes for the Dez news to come out the worse I think the news will be.

The first kiss of death was Jerry claiming that Dez was "OK". Pretty much the same thing he said about Romo.

I think whatever is wrong with Dez will probably result in him being sidelined for at least a month.
Yea last I saw anything about Dez was him and Collins were both getting their MRIs earlier today so them sitting on the Dez news can't be good

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones has misplaced his reading glasses. He will crank out the report tomorrow.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah this is starting to have me worried now. I'd imagine if it looks questionable with Dez they may be wanting a second opinion before releasing any information.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, but is like a real bad feeling.
I was just f'n with ya.

I have the same feeling. To me, if the MRI was clear, Jerry would already be announcing to the world that Dez was fine. I think they're wanting a second opinion to be sure before releasing info that it's worse than originally thought to be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
=
I have the same feeling. To me, if the MRI was clear, Jerry would already be announcing to the world that Dez was fine. I think they're wanting a second opinion to be sure before releasing info that it's worse than originally thought to be.
I get the feeling there is damage and they are debating if Dez can just play through it or if he needs surgery and to be shut down for awhile.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling there is damage and they are debating if Dez can just play through it or if he needs surgery and to be shut down for awhile.
Sounds about right, isn't there one ligament that you can kind of play through, like a meniscus or something? Maybe miss 2 weeks or there-abouts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sounds about right, isn't there one ligament that you can kind of play through, like a meniscus or something? Maybe miss 2 weeks or there-abouts.
That is the one thing I think is hopeful. He did come back and play. If it were serious, you'd think that would have been impossible.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I believe the MCL is that ligament. That was Steph Curry's injury I think and he wasn't out that long.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
We're probably going to wake up tomorrow to find out that Dez has had his leg amputated.

Top Bottom