Mendez: Cowboys think Romo has a leadership style 'where guys listen to him'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys think Romo has a leadership style 'where guys listen to him' and told him they want to see more of it

Tony Romo said sitting out the spring practices gave him a different perspective on practice, allowing him to talk to players about mistakes on the spot, rather than having to wait until the film room.

It wasn’t exactly how the Cowboys would have designed it, but an increased vocal presence is exactly what they were looking for from the veteran quarterback this year.

“We talked to him very specifically in the beginning of the offseason – we wanted more of that from him,” coach Jason Garrett said last week as the veteran mini-camp wrapped up at Valley Ranch. “I think he embraced the role. I think any quarterback would. He has a real knack for a leadership style where guys listen to him.”

Romo said he would have rather practiced than served as an extra coach. But he did appreciate the chance to see practice in a new way and talk to his teammates on the side.

“You can kind of get with them quickly, right after the play, and let them assess why their leverage was here and what they needed to do to get themselves in the right position, or why they needed to widen or take a step – whatever it might be,” he said. “I think that’s part of me growing as a player and understanding what needs to be done to help the team win.”

Garrett said the Cowboys have players who can learn from Romo’s style.

“They certainly respond to his play, but also his demeanor,” Garrett said. “And that’s a real positive thing for our football team. We have some younger players who need some teaching, not only from the coaches, but also from some of the veteran players, and certainly from the quarterbacks. So I think Tony has done a real good job in that area.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Top Bottom