Backups Ron Leary and Chaz Green lead Cowboys' ground game

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Backups Ron Leary and Chaz Green lead Cowboys' ground game
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Now, you understand why the Dallas Cowboys didn’t trade Ron Leary in the offseason, and why they drafted Chaz Green in the third round last year.

Each played an important role Sunday in the Cowboys’ 31-17 win over the Chicago Bears.

Leary, a starter last year until La’el Collins replaced him, was disappointed the Cowboys didn’t trade or release him during the offseason since he couldn’t win the starting job with the Cowboys. Well, he entered the game in the third quarter when Collins suffered a sprained big toe, and he played well.

The Cowboys rushed for 199 yards and a 4.7 average per carry. Rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott rushed for a career-high 140 yards on 30 carries.

Thy did it with Green starting for perennial Pro Bowler Tyron Smith, who missed the game with back spasms. The spasms occurred Friday and Smith thought he could get his back loose enough to play Sunday. But that didn't happen.

“I didn’t know I was playing until I got the stadium,” Green said. “I thought there was a chance after what happened Friday with Tyron, and I prepare to play every week. I thought there was a chance, but I didn’t know.”

Green, a third-round pick, last year didn’t play after his surgery slowed him in the offseason. He struggled when he finally received a chance in the preseason, but he did a solid job Sunday. The Cowboys regularly gave him help, and he did commit two penalties but Dak Prescott was still standing after the game, so his performance was a successful one.

“I have to improve and get better,” Green said, “but I thought I did OK.”

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No, I still don't understand. Depending on the retun we could have gotten I would have rathered Looney playing last night plus the extra piece.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I still don't understand. Depending on the retun we could have gotten I would have rathered Looney playing last night plus the extra piece.
Yeah I agree with you, especially if the Collins injury isn't serious. But the results were pretty good with backups basically covering the entire left side of our offensive line against the Bears. Also I'm really glad we didn't waste a draft pick on Leonard Floyd.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What do you think the return would have reasonably been?

Now that he is getting some recent play on tape it can only increase his value.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Aside from a couple penalties, I thought Green played pretty well. Be nice if he can continue to improve and eventually take over for Free.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What do you think the return would have reasonably been?

Now that he is getting some recent play on tape it can only increase his value.
I dont know. But i wouldn't have take a fifth or anything. But teams might have offered a player with similar youth/upside combo.

townsend

Banned
I'm so shocked Green has turned into something. I'm used to us red shirting offensive linemen and them never actually making it on the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm so shocked Green has turned into something. I'm used to us red shirting offensive linemen and them never actually making it on the field.
Yeah it's sort of nice. Drafted a tackle in the third round, were able to let him develop a little and then in year two he looks like he is a solid NFL offensive tackle. It's like there was a very specific plan for his development and it is working out exactly as they hoped. Definitely seems rare in Dallas.

And next year I'd draft a guard/center in the middle rounds with the same idea.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Green looked ok on a rewatch he seemed to recover well from initial moves but I don't think he was going against anything other than average pass rushers.

He did move pretty well and showed good pop in the run game.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Green looked ok on a rewatch he seemed to recover well from initial moves but I don't think he was going against anything other than average pass rushers.

He did move pretty well and showed good pop in the run game.
He looks to me like he's better suited to be an RT. He's a strong run blocker and probably an adequate pass blocker against mediocre / less skilled pass rushers, but I certainly wouldn't trust him on the left side full time. I think Free's guaranteed money is up after this season, so we could move on from him in the offseason and only have a cap hit for 1/3 his signing bonus (1.5 mil) next year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He looks to me like he's better suited to be an RT. He's a strong run blocker and probably an adequate pass blocker against mediocre / less skilled pass rushers, but I certainly wouldn't trust him on the left side full time. I think Free's guaranteed money is up after this season, so we could move on from him in the offseason and only have a cap hit for 1/3 his signing bonus (1.5 mil) next year.
Yeah but there is no chance he is looked at as a LT long term with Smith being still locked up longterm.

I do expect Free to be gone after this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah but there is no chance he is looked at as a LT long term with Smith being still locked up longterm.

I do expect Free to be gone after this year.
Yeah right now he is our swing tackle with the potential to move into the RT spot in the future. That's always been the plan with him. Of course if we move on from Free after this season we will need that all important swing tackle again.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Aside from a couple penalties, I thought Green played pretty well. Be nice if he can continue to improve and eventually take over for Free.
Like him as a run blocker and definitely as Free's successor.

Top Bottom