The Colin Kaepernick Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Work mostly, the usual.

Times are good. Came back to hear if I am supposed to love or hate the rookie.
You will love him for now. As soon as he throws his first interception, you will be asked to hate him. Carry on.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Serious question.

Have you ever travelled outside of the borders of the United States?

If so, where?
This is a good question...I have had an opportunity to spend quite a bit of time in Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan. In Afghanistan I saw locals there retrieve old plastic water bottles, flatten them down, attach some old string or rope to them, crafting a make shift shoe out of it. Local nationals would work on base at times and they would take those very same bottles and fill them with goats milk on their way in...often times appearing curdled or chunky before they drank it. Now in Kyrgyzstan I saw that outhouses were used in public places...like schools. Just a hole in the floor for them to use. Dental care was minimal, if at all, meeting kids that were 5-6 years old with teeth that were rotting, visibly seeing cavities in their teeth. At the same school I'd watch the cook stretch some potatoes and cabbage into meals for all the kids...often times that would be their only meal. When you would come into close contact with the kids you could smell the smoke on them from the open pit fires they would have in their house.

It adds perspective when you see stuff like that. If my wifi is not pushing out a strong enough signal for my iPad to serve as entertainment for me before I go to sleep, oh I whine and cry about it...quite selfish and silly.

Then you have people like Bipo...calling this country a cunt because he is edgy like that. He is among those people who think if he posts a meme on Facebook that he is radically making a difference. The same people that want their country to be different, but only by spouting off on social media. They can point out all kinds of flaws with the US, but do nothing in terms of activism to affect change.

Folks like that are much more comfortable being victims...needing a boogie man, so instead of an individual person or entity, they make this "cunt" of a country their personal villain.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is a good question...I have had an opportunity to spend quite a bit of time in Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan. In Afghanistan I saw locals there retrieve old plastic water bottles, flatten them down, attach some old string or rope to them, crafting a make shift shoe out of it. Local nationals would work on base at times and they would take those very same bottles and fill them with goats milk on their way in...often times appearing curdled or chunky before they drank it. Now in Kyrgyzstan I saw that outhouses were used in public places...like schools. Just a hole in the floor for them to use. Dental care was minimal, if at all, meeting kids that were 5-6 years old with teeth that were rotting, visibly seeing cavities in their teeth. At the same school I'd watch the cook stretch some potatoes and cabbage into meals for all the kids...often times that would be their only meal. When you would come into close contact with the kids you could smell the smoke on them from the open pit fires they would have in their house.

It adds perspective when you see stuff like that. If my wifi is not pushing out a strong enough signal for my iPad to serve as entertainment for me before I go to sleep, oh I whine and cry about it...quite selfish and silly.

Then you have people like Bipo...calling this country a cunt because he is edgy like that. He is among those people who think if he posts a meme on Facebook that he is radically making a difference. The same people that want their country to be different, but only by spouting off on social media. They can point out all kinds of flaws with the US, but do nothing in terms of activism to affect change.

Folks like that are much more comfortable being victims...needing a boogie man, so instead of an individual person or entity, they make this "cunt" of a country their personal villain.
Spot on.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well said, Carp.

El Salvador isn't those places you mentioned, but it's third world.

I've seen the outhouses that you speak of and have even had to use one myself. I've seen people living in shacks made out of stuff not much stronger than cardboard and aluminum.

No one has to live like that here, even if their economic status would probably leave them with no other choice but to do so. But thanks to our government, one that so many people bitch about, lots of people with very little income, and even worse, no ambition, get to at least live like a decent human being. There may be flaws in the system that allow these people to live like this for free, but the point is, ours is a country that will not allow people even of the lowest class to live like an animal.

There are a lot of things wrong with the US, no doubt. But you have to go to third world countries and places where corruption and disorder is a daily part of life to truly realize how fortunate we are to live in this country.

The hot issue at the moment is the obvious problem we're having between law enforcement and black men. My opinion on the matter is that it is a serious issue that can no longer be ignored. You can't pretend it's not as bad as it is, and there's no justifying the actions of some of these murderers by saying they felt threatened or that these black guys in the hood give them cause to feel fearful, etc.

BS.

These are just glaring examples of racial profiling, abuse of power, and maybe even poor training, and it's time people stopped making excuses and just start calling this what it is. I don't know what the solution is, but I know it's isn't waiting for the right time to do something.

Action needs to be taken now.

To Carp's point, I can at least respect that Kaepernick is getting involved and using his money and his time to try and make a difference as opposed to making some meaningless statement or worthless gesture. Like most of you, I think it's funny that a half white guy who grew up in a white privileged family would do this, but whatever.

If you want to see change in this country, then get involved. Don't go posting on the internet or wear a shirt at a rally then go home and watch Netflix or go back to your regular life.

If you're going to criticize the country for how it is, then get out and try and make a difference. Otherwise, shut up and move somewhere else.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well said, Carp.

El Salvador isn't those places you mentioned, but it's third world.

I've seen the outhouses that you speak of and have even had to use one myself. I've seen people living in shacks made out of stuff not much stronger than cardboard and aluminum.

No one has to live like that here, even if their economic status would probably leave them with no other choice but to do so. But thanks to our government, one that so many people bitch about, lots of people with very little income, and even worse, no ambition, get to at least live like a decent human being. There may be flaws in the system that allow these people to live like this for free, but the point is, ours is a country that will not allow people even of the lowest class to live like an animal.

There are a lot of things wrong with the US, no doubt. But you have to go to third world countries and places where corruption and disorder is a daily part of life to truly realize how fortunate we are to live in this country.

The hot issue at the moment is the obvious problem we're having between law enforcement and black men. My opinion on the matter is that it is a serious issue that can no longer be ignored. You can't pretend it's not as bad as it is, and there's no justifying the actions of some of these murderers by saying they felt threatened or that these black guys in the hood give them cause to feel fearful, etc.

BS.

These are just glaring examples of racial profiling, abuse of power, and maybe even poor training, and it's time people stopped making excuses and just start calling this what it is. I don't know what the solution is, but I know it's isn't waiting for the right time to do something.

Action needs to be taken now.

To Carp's point, I can at least respect that Kaepernick is getting involved and using his money and his time to try and make a difference as opposed to making some meaningless statement or worthless gesture. Like most of you, I think it's funny that a half white guy who grew up in a white privileged family would do this, but whatever.

If you want to see change in this country, then get involved. Don't go posting on the internet or wear a shirt at a rally then go home and watch Netflix or go back to your regular life.

If you're going to criticize the country for how it is, then get out and try and make a difference. Otherwise, shut up and move somewhere else.
Agree all around.

I wish more people would look at things as soberly as this.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I still have an issue with Kaepernick though...I think he got saved by some socially conscious people because he was vague and ill equipped to talk about social topics. Kneeling during the national anthem is offbase too because he has issues with local police.

He was also fined by the NFL for calling Lamar Houston the N word. He denied it, Houston said he did say it, so I just don't think he comes from the right place.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seahawks' Doug Baldwin: Death threats won't silence me
play
Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin explains Seattle's decision to interlock arms during the national anthem, the message he wants to get across and the importance of San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick initiating the conversation. (2:31)

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin said during an interview with "60 Minutes Sports'' that he has received death threats since demanding that attorneys general in all 50 states review their training policies for police officers.

"I had a few," Baldwin said, according to a transcript of the interview that was released Friday. "A couple of people told me to watch my back."

Baldwin, whose father is a police officer, said during the interview that the threats will not stop him from speaking up.

"If something was to happen to me, I think that would just further prove my point that there are issues in our culture, in our society that need to be changed," he said

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick revealed recently that he has received death threats in response to his decision to kneel during the national anthem in protest of racial oppression in the U.S.

On Sept. 23, Baldwin called for a change in law enforcement "to eliminate militaristic cultures while putting a higher emphasis on de-escalation tactics and crisis management measures."

"Now this is not an indictment of our law enforcement agencies," Baldwin said. "I just want that to be clear. We know that there's a select few -- a very minute few -- of law enforcement who are not abiding by those laws and policies.

"However, we also know that there are laws and policies that are in place that are not correcting the issue that we have in our society right now."

I totally agree with everything said here. It's not about race. It's about training officers better. Many of these situations where people get killed on both sides don't start out with someone wanting to kill another. But it escalates there.

townsend

Banned
Seahawks' Doug Baldwin: Death threats won't silence me
play
Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin explains Seattle's decision to interlock arms during the national anthem, the message he wants to get across and the importance of San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick initiating the conversation. (2:31)

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin said during an interview with "60 Minutes Sports'' that he has received death threats since demanding that attorneys general in all 50 states review their training policies for police officers.

"I had a few," Baldwin said, according to a transcript of the interview that was released Friday. "A couple of people told me to watch my back."

Baldwin, whose father is a police officer, said during the interview that the threats will not stop him from speaking up.

"If something was to happen to me, I think that would just further prove my point that there are issues in our culture, in our society that need to be changed," he said

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick revealed recently that he has received death threats in response to his decision to kneel during the national anthem in protest of racial oppression in the U.S.

On Sept. 23, Baldwin called for a change in law enforcement "to eliminate militaristic cultures while putting a higher emphasis on de-escalation tactics and crisis management measures."

"Now this is not an indictment of our law enforcement agencies," Baldwin said. "I just want that to be clear. We know that there's a select few -- a very minute few -- of law enforcement who are not abiding by those laws and policies.

"However, we also know that there are laws and policies that are in place that are not correcting the issue that we have in our society right now."

I totally agree with everything said here. It's not about race. It's about training officers better. Many of these situations where people get killed on both sides don't start out with someone wanting to kill another. But it escalates there.
The way I look at it race is an aspect of the issue. Officers react differently to an old lady than a full grown man, they react differently to guy in a suit compared to a guy covered in tattoos. They react differently to a black man than a white man, something in their brain tends to sense more danger when the person they're dealing with is black. Most of the unarmed black men are shot by people who are on high alert, they'd probably feel the same way about a white guy if he looked like a member of a Biker gang.

From what I've heard from people with education in criminal justice you frequently hear "Racial profiling is wrong, but it may save your life some day." I think young officers are frequently conditioned to associate black men with immediate danger.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The way I look at it race is an aspect of the issue. Officers react differently to an old lady than a full grown man, they react differently to guy in a suit compared to a guy covered in tattoos. They react differently to a black man than a white man, something in their brain tends to sense more danger when the person they're dealing with is black. Most of the unarmed black men are shot by people who are on high alert, they'd probably feel the same way about a white guy if he looked like a member of a Biker gang.

From what I've heard from people with education in criminal justice you frequently hear "Racial profiling is wrong, but it may save your life some day." I think young officers are frequently conditioned to associate black men with immediate danger.
Of course they act differently to various factions because the probability of potential problems comes from certain factions. Maybe it's profiling or maybe it experience that raises the antenna but that's just the way it is and unless and until these circumstances change it will continue to go down that way.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Same thing with various factions walking around or moving into your neighborhood. I don't want that element around as they represent the probability of doing no good in the neighborhood.

It's unfortunate that black people are where they are, but police officers aren't responsible for undoing past injustices. Until then, they do what it takes to be safe while keeping us safe. Same thing with universities - not their responsibility to right past wrongs. Admit the top students regardless of race.
Your sarcasm isn't addressing the post I made. There is statistical data information that will support what I said. Your response really addresses nothing but an attitude.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What sarcasm? Officers treat factions differently because they statistically represent more violence, why can't normal citizens being on higher alert and calling in suspicious activity or expressing concern for who's moving in? Statistics prove higher crime rates in predominantly black neighborhoods.

Unless you're being sarcastic???
No. I was wasn't but I wasn't sure where you were coming from.

Top Bottom