QB Controversy Thread...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Romo provides the experience bonus but I worry about his declining skill set. Three serious back injuries as well as a couple of shoulder injuries. That has to affect his play going forward. I imagine we can expect to see less zip on passes, struggles with deeper passes, and an inability to extend plays like he used to.

I’m in favor of remaining with Dak because I like the mobility and decision making that he brings to the table. Not only is he excelling from the pocket like you expect from a franchise QB, but he also gives us that added dimension where we can move him outside of the pocket and he’s a legit threat to beat you with his legs or his arms.

Also, in just about every long scoring drive that the Cowboys have had this season, you can point to at least 1 play in that drive where Dak used his mobility to either run for the first down or to buy time so the receivers can uncover down the field. We’re going to miss that when he goes back to the bench. Just wait and see. We probably won’t have near as many long drives and our 3rd down conversation rate will probably take a nice dip because Romo can’t ad lib like he used to.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I'm afraid of. If he is not 100% himself, putting him back in could very well hurt us. And, even at 100% health he is going to be rusty as hell.
Yeah, the guy basically missed all of last year and will miss half of this season before he is healthy. So now you're talking about a guy essentially not playing any real QB for a year and half. And I'm sure Romo will get hurt again this year. So to me the question is, if Dak is in a groove and playing great do you really want to mess with that so that Romo can play a couple games before he gets hurt again? I use to say it doesn't matter if we bench Dak for Romo because Romo will just get hurt again anyway but I'm starting to think that it's not worth it to mess with Dak. Don't fix something that isn't broke.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo provides the experience bonus but I worry about his declining skill set. Three serious back injuries as well as a couple of shoulder injuries. That has to affect his play going forward. I imagine we can expect to see less zip on passes, struggles with deeper passes, and an inability to extend plays like he used to.

I’m in favor of remaining with Dak because I like the mobility and decision making that he brings to the table. Not only is he excelling from the pocket like you expect from a franchise QB, but he also gives us that added dimension where we can move him outside of the pocket and he’s a legit threat to beat you with his legs or his arms.

Also, in just about every long scoring drive that the Cowboys have had this season, you can point to at least 1 play in that drive where Dak used his mobility to either run for the first down or to buy time so the receivers can uncover down the field. We’re going to miss that when he goes back to the bench. Just wait and see. We probably won’t have near as many long drives and our 3rd down conversation rate will probably take a nice dip because Romo can’t ad lib like he used to.
I didn't realize he is ambidextrous. That's cool.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I didn't realize he is ambidextrous. That's cool.
QBs have attempted passes with their off-hand before. Usually doesn't turn out well for them, but it's happened.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best and worst QB performances from Week 3

Dak Prescott has the highest Total QBR in Week 3 Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images
12:38 PM CT
Sharon Katz & Jacob Nitzberg

Through 15 games in Week 3, there have been some impressive and not-so-impressive displays from quarterbacks around the NFL. ESPN Stats & Information takes a look at the best and worst QB performances from Week 3 in terms of ESPN's Total Quarterback Rating (QBR).

Top 3

Dak Prescott: 99.1 Total QBR

Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys scored on each of their four first-half possessions to take a 24-3 lead at halftime on Sunday night. He was 12-for-15 for 139 yards and added a rushing touchdown, accumulating a 99.6 QBR in the first half. With a two-score lead the remainder of the game, Prescott's QBR never dipped below 99 in the second half, and it was never lower than 97.5 for the entirety of the game.

Prescott added 2.7 expected points (EPA) with his rushes on Sunday, tied for the second-most by a QB this week, helping him to the third-most total EPA (9.1) of any QB in Week 3.

Aaron Rodgers: 99.1 Total QBR

In his 122nd career start for the Green Bay Packers, Aaron Rodgers posted a QBR of 99 or better for just the second time in his career (the other was versus the Bears in 2014). Rodgers was lights out to start the game, completing 12-of-18 passes, including four touchdowns in the first half.

Through 30 minutes, Rodgers had a 99.8 QBR and had already added nearly nine points to his net scoring margin more than an average QB would have with the same number of plays. Despite slowing down in the second half, Rodgers’ QBR never dipped below 98.5 for the rest of the game. QBR down-weights plays in blowout situations, and even though the game finished as a seven-point difference, it was out of hand for much of the second half.

One other factor worth highlighting is Rodgers’ impact by drawing defensive penalties. Though these plays will not show up for Rodgers in the box score, he drew a 66-yard defensive pass interference penalty that added 1.4 EPA, actually his second-biggest EPA play of the game. That play accounted for more penalty EPA than any other QB had in an entire game this week. No player in the past two seasons has had a bigger impact drawing penalties than Rodgers.

Russell Wilson: 93.8 Total QBR

Wilson left the game late in the third quarter with a knee injury, but by that point, the Seattle Seahawks were leading by 24 points and Wilson had already made a major impact. Wilson completed 15-of-23 passes and averaged 10.6 yards per attempt. Wilson's average pass traveled 11.2 yards in the air beyond the line of scrimmage, the highest of any QB so far in Week 3.

On throws of 15 yards or longer, he was 5-of-8 with a touchdown, and one of those completions traveled 50 yards in the air to Doug Baldwin on third-and-14. That play added 1.8 clutch-weighted EPA and was the seventh-biggest play of any QB of Week 3.

Bottom 3

Marcus Mariota: 3.6 Total QBR

Mariota posted a career-worst 3.6 QBR in the Tennessee Titans' 17-10 loss to the Oakland Raiders. At first glance, Mariota’s raw stats (17-of-33, 0 TD, 2 INT) may not look as egregious as other interception-laden stat lines; however, Mariota also fumbled twice (losing one), which cost his team about four EPA, and only converted two first downs in 12 third-down plays.

It’s worth noting that Mariota had a potential game-tying touchdown pass with 27 seconds remaining nullified by offensive pass interference, but given the plays that counted, Mariota was the least efficient QB in Week 3.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 5.0 Total QBR

Fitzpatrick threw six (yes, six!) interceptions in the New York Jets' 24-3 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. He is the first quarterback to throw zero pass touchdowns and six interceptions in a single game since Tom Tupa in 1989.

In total, Fitzpatrick’s interceptions cost the team 7.2 EPA, the worst total since Eli Manning had a five-interception game against the San Francisco 49ers in 2014. Where those interceptions came – three in the red zone and two inside the six yard line – made them even more costly.

The only reason that Fitzpatrick’s QBR isn’t lower is that he had a few good rushes, took no sacks and had a few big third- and fourth-down conversions (seven first downs in 15 plays). On a per-play basis, Mariota was less efficient than Fitzpatrick, but accounting for his total number of plays, Fitzpatrick cost his team more than any other QB in a game this season (-10.4 points added).

Carson Palmer: 13.4 Total QBR

Palmer tied a career high Sunday with four interceptions, and it was the first game in his career with four INTs and zero passing touchdowns. Palmer could get nothing going early in the game; he was 1-of-7 for 8 yards in the first quarter, which was good for a QBR of 1.2. Palmer's QBR got as high as 32.5 early in the fourth quarter, but then he threw all four of his interceptions to lower it to 13.4 by the end of the game.

Palmer cost his team 1.7 expected points in Sunday’s 33-18 loss to the Bills , the most expected points he's cost his team in a game since Week 16 of 2013 against the Seahawks, which was also the last time he threw four interceptions in a game. The problem for Palmer wasn’t only his four interceptions. A slow start (1.2 QBR in the first quarter) and inability to get things going downfield (9-of-23 with four interceptions on throws of 10 yards or longer) were the major contributors to his inefficient outing.

How do you bench a guy who is basically playing like an elite NFL QB?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If Dak continues playing well then I'd stick with him but I'm sure Jerry will make sure Romo is starting as soon as he's cleared.

I think we're targeting the Eagles game following our bye for Romo to return. And we have a fairly tough stretch before that: @SF, Bengals, @GB. If we somehow win at least 2 of those and are 4-2 going into the bye it would be ludicrous to replace Dak. But I think we end up losing at least 2 of the next 3 which would put us at 3-3. Even if Dak plays well it would make their decision easier.

But even if Tony returns I think it's just a matter of time before he's injured again. Eagles have a strong front 7 and 2 weeks later we go to Pittsburgh. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of Dak the 2nd half of the year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we're targeting the Eagles game following our bye for Romo to return. And we have a fairly tough stretch before that: @SF, Bengals, @GB. If we somehow win at least 2 of those and are 4-2 going into the bye it would be ludicrous to replace Dak. But I think we end up losing at least 2 of the next 3 which would put us at 3-3. Even if Dak plays well it would make their decision easier.
49ers suck and the Bengals are only 1-2 this year. It's not really a murderers row of games. I could easily see 4-2. Green Bay will be tough because Rodgers will probably make our defense his bitch but that's not really Dak's fault. To start the season I expected being 3-3 going into the bye without Romo. If we are 4-2 there is no way I bench Dak.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I would go back to Romo. He's still the better quarterback and he's our best hope to overcome this dipshit coaching staff and carry the team to a victory, but it would be a short leash.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
49ers suck and the Bengals are only 1-2 this year. It's not really a murderers row of games. I could easily see 4-2. Green Bay will be tough because Rodgers will probably make our defense his bitch but that's not really Dak's fault. To start the season I expected being 3-3 going into the bye without Romo. If we are 4-2 there is no way I bench Dak.
I know it's not a murderers row. But at GB is always tough. The Bengals may be 1-2 but their losses were to Pittsburgh and Denver. They aren't world-beaters but aren't pushovers either. 49ers are the weakest of the three but it's a road game and not necessarily an automatic W. We could win 2 of 3 or could just as easily lose 2 of 3. But assuming GB is a loss, then to win 2 of 3 would mean winning the next 2 which would give us a 4 game win streak. That's possible but probably not likely.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What do you do if Romo looks like the Thanksgiving 2015 game against the Panthers? That's what I can't help but feel we will see if Jones forces the issue. Assuming no one touches him, which they will. Its almost a forgone conclusion Romo will get hurt again, the question is how many snaps will he last?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I go back to the Veteran simply because of the chemistry that has already been established and once and for all try to answer the durability question.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I could be wrong, but it just feels like if the Dak train keeps on rolling the way it has been it may well be enough to usurp Romo if he struggles upon return, "healthy" or not. He'll get a shot but he has missed so much time—from training camp/preseason, to practice, to actual games—that I don't expect him to be real sharp when he does play.

Garrett and the organization have always had the "Tony gives up the best chance to win" mantra to lean on but, depending on how the next couple of months shake out, that may no longer be the case. It is going to be an extremely tough call because Romo is so entrenched in so many ways, but their hand could be pretty much forced. They are getting a glimpse of the future right now. Jerry Jones does not have a whole lot of future ahead of him at this point. The future needs to be now and I think that will be a factor that ultimately drives the decision to move on from Romo.

Of course if Romo comes back and plays well this is all pretty much moot, I am just pretty skeptical given the circumstances.
It's pretty foolish to think that if Romo comes back and gets handed the starting job that he's going to come out rolling and lighting the league on fire. I'm sorry but he didn't look all that great last season and you could tell there was a lot of rust there.

Not only that but we simply can't rely on him any more. This is the guy that couldn't even get out of preseason without an injury. What makes anyone think it will suddenly change now?

Listen, I was all for Romo starting the season and Dak learning from the bench. Then the Seattle game happened and that changed.

It isn't as if Romo got us some wins, got injured, and Dak came in. If so, then IMO that's still Romo's job. But Romo didn't start the season for us and we simply can't rely on him any more.

What happens if we're 4-2 by week 8? Should we automatically turn the keys back over to Romo against the Eagles and hope that there's no rust?

For all the great things that Romo has done he's had one winning season since JG took over and a whopping total of 2 playoff wins in his career. This isn't Tom Brady here.

People keep saying we'd be 3-0 if Romo was playing. So fucking what? We've seen the best of Romo and during the time where it matters most it hasn't been all that great outside of the regular season.

It's time for us to quit living in the past and look to build on the future.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
You ride the hot hand.

I'd like to believe that Dak would have to give you a reason to just let Romo have the ball back.

Romo is the $20million QB. I guess that's all the reason you need.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It's pretty foolish to think that if Romo comes back and gets handed the starting job that he's going to come out rolling and lighting the league on fire. I'm sorry but he didn't look all that great last season and you could tell there was a lot of rust there.

Not only that but we simply can't rely on him any more. This is the guy that couldn't even get out of preseason without an injury. What makes anyone think it will suddenly change now?

Listen, I was all for Romo starting the season and Dak learning from the bench. Then the Seattle game happened and that changed.

It isn't as if Romo got us some wins, got injured, and Dak came in. If so, then IMO that's still Romo's job. But Romo didn't start the season for us and we simply can't rely on him any more.

What happens if we're 4-2 by week 8? Should we automatically turn the keys back over to Romo against the Eagles and hope that there's no rust?

For all the great things that Romo has done he's had one winning season since JG took over and a whopping total of 2 playoff wins in his career. This isn't Tom Brady here.

People keep saying we'd be 3-0 if Romo was playing. So fucking what? We've seen the best of Romo and during the time where it matters most it hasn't been all that great outside of the regular season.

It's time for us to quit living in the past and look to build on the future.
I wasn't able to Prop this post, so I've quoted it for truth and clarity. :towel

We saw Romo in his prime and while there were good times, he fell short when the pressure was on.

It would be a different story if Dak didn't look so fucking composed running this team right now.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I wasn't able to Prop this post, so I've quoted it for truth and clarity. :towel

We saw Romo in his prime and while there were good times, he fell short when the pressure was on.

It would be a different story if Dak didn't look so fucking composed running this team right now.
I said the same thing a few weeks back. Even when Romo was healthy and in his prime, under his leadership the Cowboys usually only scratched out 7 to 9 wins with plenty of blown playoff opportunities mixed in there.

I just don’t see an older injury-riddled Romo suddenly making all the right plays to get this team over the top. Obviously all the Cowboys’ shortcomings don’t fall in his lap but he’s certainly made his fair share of mistakes that have prevented this team from winning meaningful games.

townsend

Banned
I've always felt bad for Romo. Obviously he choked big time in the Redskins game where Dak disavowed him, but we he did everything he could to beat the Giants at home in 2011(and clinch the division), and Rob Ryan's defense let them overcome a 12 point deficit in like 2 minutes.

He broke his back keeping us in the hunt against the Redskins in 2013 only to have Orton screw the pooch against Philly. He was perfect in 2014 up until the moment where they negated his TD pass to Dez.

I don't have any doubt that Romo on a 2011-2013 49ers team would have a SB ring or two.

That being said, I think it's foolishly optimistic to assume the Romo that takes the field in 2016 will even resemble that guy. He's had two devastating injuries since the last time he took a regular season snap.

Top Bottom