Curious George: Why didn't Randy Gregory get 1-year suspension? Is it time for MLB Justin Durant to start?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Curious George: Why didn't Randy Gregory get 1-year suspension? Is it time for MLB Justin Durant to start?

By Brandon George , Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys have their first win. But still a lot of questions remain about this year's team. I'm back for a Week 3 edition of Curious George.

This is a regular blog throughout the 2016 season that will appear every Tuesday morning, when I'll wonder out loud about five things that I'm curious about ...

Basically, it's like the old Arsenio Hall skit of five things that make you say, "Hmmm."

Play along with me, either commenting on my thoughts or give me some that you might have about this year's Dallas Cowboys.

* I'm curious why Randy Gregory wasn't suspended for a full year: Sources told Dallas Morning News writer David Moore that Randy Gregory is likely to be suspended through Week 14 after the NFL Players Association dropped his appeal. And, by the way, props to David, who is the only writer to have this story correct the entire way while it has been misreported by several outlets. ... But, why isn't Gregory facing a one-year banishment? Gregory is in Stage 3 of the NFL's substance abuse program for multiple positive tests for marijuana. He's going to get a 10-game suspension. He was already suspended the first four games of the season for violating the substance abuse policy in the offseason. Typically, the NFL jumps from a four-game suspension to a 10-game suspension and then a one-year ban in these cases, and doesn't tack on a 10-game suspension to a four-game suspension to make it a total of 14. Under the terms of the substance abuse program, a player in Stage 3 whose first positive test after advancing to Stage 3 is for marijuana shall be suspended without pay for 10 games. Any subsequent violation, which includes failure to comply with his treatment plan, results in a minimum one-year ban from the league. It's my understanding that Gregory tested positive for marijuana while in an out-of-state rehab facility before leaving the facility one weekend and missing a scheduled test. A missed test counts as another failed test. If Gregory has two more failed tests on his record, while in Stage 3, he'd be facing a one-year suspension. All this said, it likely won't matter one way or the other on the length of the suspension. Gregory isn't likely to play a down for the Cowboys this season as he works to get his life away from football in order. This much is clear, the NFLPA dropping Gregory's appeal speaks volumes. The NFLPA almost always supports its players in an appeal process. For it to drop the appeal tells you the association believed Gregory didn't have much ground to stand on in the appeal process and it simply wasn't worth the time.

* I'm curious if Justin Durant will start at MLB on Sunday night: Veteran Cowboys linebacker Justin Durant considered retiring this offseason. Cowboys fans are happy he decided to play at least one more year. Durant had his fingerprints all over the Cowboys' defensive stops in the fourth quarter of Sunday's win at Washington. He had a key run stop on third-and-short along with Sean Lee and then tipped away a fourth-and-1 pass from Kirk Cousins that would have continued a drive. So is it time for Durant to start at middle linebacker in place of Anthony Hitchens? Maybe and maybe not. Keep this in mind: Even though Durant has outplayed Hitchens in the first two games, the Cowboys want to play it safe with Durant and protect him from injury. The Cowboys took it slow with Durant in training camp to give him time to get in game shape. They kept him out the first few preseason games and limited his snaps when he did get on the field. Durant struggled with injuries in his first stint with the Cowboys. Several of his teammates said he was playing at Pro Bowl level in 2014 with Dallas until he was lost for the year after only six games. Durant's snap count jumped from 17 in the first week to 29 against the Redskins. Will it continue to climb in Week 3? Is he ready to start?

* I'm curious if Jason Garrett will continue his gambling ways: We saw a different Jason Garrett against the Redskins. Throughout his coaching tenure with the Cowboys, Garrett has always played it close to the vest. He doesn't take many risks, but he went for it on fourth-and-1 early on against the Redskins (and they converted) and then he tried an onside kick that didn't work out as well. Will he revert back to his old ways going forward or continue to take some chances in games? The Cowboys have a strong enough offense to warrant some risk-taking on fourth-and-short. They also have a vulnerable defense that could push Garrett to try a few more onside kicks. In short, this Cowboys team isn't among the best in the league and needs Garrett to take some chances at times. That hasn't been the norm for him.

* I'm curious if putting DT Tyrone Crawford at DE in second half Sunday was more about jump-starting him rather than lack of numbers: The Cowboys moved Tyrone Crawford from defensive tackle to left defensive end throughout the second half against Washington on Sunday. Asked multiple times after the win Sunday why he played at end rather than tackle in the second half, Crawford said it was because the Cowboys don't have the numbers now at end. He was referring to the Cowboys being without suspended ends DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory. But I'm curious if defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli was trying to jump-start Crawford more so than just looking at the move as a necessity because of a lack of depth now at end. Crawford said he played "horrible" the first week and again wasn't pleased with his play after the Washington win despite him registering a fourth-quarter sack. In 85 snaps through two games, Crawford has made only three tackles. The Cowboys need Crawford to have a big season if this defensive line is to survive over the long haul.

* I was curious when the last time the Cowboys had such a clean fourth quarter: The Cowboys turned in a rare fourth quarter for them Sunday at Washington in their 27-23 win. The defense had a sack and a takeaway in the fourth quarter against the Redskins and the team finished without a fourth-quarter penalty. The last time a Cowboys team registered a sack and takeaway and didn't commit a penalty in the fourth quarter in the same game was the 2013 opener against the Giants, a 36-31 win. So the Cowboys had gone 50 consecutive games without accomplishing that trifecta prior to Sunday. Oh, and by the way, the last time the Cowboys had a fourth-quarter sack and takeaway in the same game before Sunday was the 2014 regular-season finale at Washington (a 44-17 win).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
* I'm curious if putting DT Tyrone Crawford at DE in second half Sunday was more about jump-starting him rather than lack of numbers: The Cowboys moved Tyrone Crawford from defensive tackle to left defensive end throughout the second half against Washington on Sunday. Asked multiple times after the win Sunday why he played at end rather than tackle in the second half, Crawford said it was because the Cowboys don't have the numbers now at end. He was referring to the Cowboys being without suspended ends DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory. But I'm curious if defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli was trying to jump-start Crawford more so than just looking at the move as a necessity because of a lack of depth now at end. Crawford said he played "horrible" the first week and again wasn't pleased with his play after the Washington win despite him registering a fourth-quarter sack. In 85 snaps through two games, Crawford has made only three tackles. The Cowboys need Crawford to have a big season if this defensive line is to survive over the long haul.
I actually think that Crawford looked a little better rushing the passer from the DE spot against the Skins. I didn't see much of anything from him at the 3 technique spot. Not sure why that is but maybe we should consider more Crawford at DE and someone else at the 3 technique spot.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I actually think that Crawford looked a little better rushing the passer from the DE spot against the Skins. I didn't see much of anything from him at the 3 technique spot. Not sure why that is but maybe we should consider more Crawford at DE and someone else at the 3 technique spot.
I agree I think he has looked the best at the LDE position so far and I like a rotation of Collins, Mclain and Thornton at DT.

Irving can switch out at both DE positions with the other Crawford.

I think this would help out against the run as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree I think he has looked the best at the LDE position so far and I like a rotation of Collins, Mclain and Thornton at DT.

Irving can switch out at both DE positions with the other Crawford.

I think this would help out against the run as well.
I'd actually like to play Irving more at the 3 technique. I thought he looked really good there last year in his limited snaps. I think he is a so/so DE but as a 3 technique I think he has a lot of potential.

Top Bottom