Schefter: Gregory Withdraws Appeal Of Suspension

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I wasn't counting on Gregory to provide a damn thing this year, so this is just whatever to me.

The guy will be just another in a long line of wasted 2nd round picks for us.

Here's an idea, Cowboys -- next year when we're coming up to the 2nd round, try picking a guy who is both rated as a 2nd round talent AND can actually contribute right away. No injury history, no shady behavioral problems, no drug issues, no recent surgeries.

Just a normal, solid football player....for once!

Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'd actually gain a little bit of respect for Garrett and the Cowboys if they were to cut Gregory.

Right now I don't see the value in holding on to him. Should be an easy decision.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I wasn't counting on Gregory to provide a damn thing this year, so this is just whatever to me.

Here's an idea, Cowboys -- next year when we're coming up to the 2nd round, try picking a guy who is both rated as a 2nd round talent AND can actually contribute right away. No injury history, no shady behavioral problems, no drug issues, no recent surgeries.

Just a normal, solid football....for once!

Is that too much to ask?
No problem.....TE good for you? We're due, ya know.

townsend

Banned

Just a normal, solid football....for once!

Is that too much to ask?
So, I'm hearing you want a solid well rated TE in the second round.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd actually gain a little bit of respect for Garrett and the Cowboys if they were to cut Gregory.

Right now I don't see the value in holding on to him. Should be an easy decision.
Agreed, it's time to move on from his nonsense.

At this point you're wasting time hoping this guy will decide that football matters.

They've taken a stand with Hardy and McClain...it's time to show these young guys that draft picks will be kicked to the curb as well.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And to hell with supporting him with his drug problem.

If the NFL is worried about it, they can stand up a support system.

This team handicaps itself plenty without worrying about rehabbing idiots.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree. He is useless for this season and with all the off time he will learn new ways to ingest pot.

townsend

Banned
I don't care if we try and give Gregory another shot. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to get his act together. Pac Man, and Ricky Williams have managed to do something after they were written off.

Compared to what we've tolerated from McClain, Gregory's a boyscout.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm pretty sure he already knew all the ways.
I think he is a waste of time. His actions fly in the face of conformity. He will not change and I think this because there is nothing in his actions to indicate he will.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry says the NFLPA was more responsible for withdrawing the appeal. In other words, they felt they could not win.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't care if we try and give Gregory another shot. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to get his act together. Pac Man, and Ricky Williams have managed to do something after they were written off.

Compared to what we've tolerated from McClain, Gregory's a boyscout.
I don't see the point in cutting a player who still has value. He literally is costing Dallas nothing right now, including a roster spot. I'm sure someone will tell me that this will be a "lesson" to other guys on the roster but I doubt it. Gregory would probably get picked up by another NFL team and given another chance. It's not like the guy is some sort of a locker room cancer.

townsend

Banned
I think he is a waste of time. His actions fly in the face of conformity. He will not change and I think this because there is nothing in his actions to indicate he will.
Eh. He's 23. It's not that unlikely that he learns a lesson from a year long suspension. Leon Lett was suspended in 97 went to the pro bowl the next year.

townsend

Banned
I don't see the point in cutting a player who still has value. He literally is costing Dallas nothing right now, including a roster spot. I'm sure someone will tell me that this will be a "lesson" to other guys on the roster but I doubt it. Gregory would probably get picked up by another NFL team and given another chance. It's not like the guy is some sort of a locker room cancer.
I agree. I feel like a lot of the fandom, is looking for a pound of flesh. As well as wanting to right past wrongs with the Cowboys' poor track record with these kinds of issues.

But it's a knee jerk. There's no benefit to getting rid of Gregory. Of course, as LT alluded to, how he spends his year off will be pretty telling. If he shows up at the end of this season out of shape, we'll have a pretty good idea on his level of commitment.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree. I feel like a lot of the fandom, is looking for a pound of flesh. As well as wanting to right past wrongs with the Cowboys' poor track record with these kinds of issues.

But it's a knee jerk. There's no benefit to getting rid of Gregory. Of course, as LT alluded to, how he spends his year off will be pretty telling. If he shows up at the end of this season out of shape, we'll have a pretty good idea on his level of commitment.
That's exactly right.

When you draft a guy, it's not supposed to be for the next year or two. Ideally you are looking at a long term investment. It's disappointing that we aren't getting much out of his first couple years but to pull out of the investment now would be short sighted.

In 2/3/4 years we might be very glad we stuck it out. There's no benefit to cutting bait right now and no real downside to sticking with him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Typically, I'd want to rid the team of a guy like this but I figure there's no sense in cutting him now.

The guy can't play until December, right? So why not keep him on the roster until then? If this guy really is a lost cause, then there is no way he stays clean from now until then. If he actually makes it that far and keeps his nose clean, then it's a reason to believe he might have a shot to make it.

Again, you repeat this process going into TC next year. If he stays clean the whole time, you've got something. If not, then just cut him.

Basically, give the guy one last chance. Next strike and he's out.

townsend

Banned
Typically, I'd want to rid the team of a guy like this but I figure there's no sense in cutting him now.

The guy can't play until December, right? So why not keep him on the roster until then? If this guy really is a lost cause, then there is no way he stays clean from now until then. If he actually makes it that far and keeps his nose clean, then it's a reason to believe he might have a shot to make it.

Again, you repeat this process going into TC next year. If he stays clean the whole time, you've got something. If not, then just cut him.

Basically, give the guy one last chance. Next strike and he's out.
Seriously though, sitting home for 14 weeks and not using is a pretty serious test. It actually seems pretty unintuitive to say "How dare you use this illegal drug, now go home and have nothing to do, and feel bad about yourself, that'll stop your drug use."

It seems like if they weren't going to stop testing for harmless recreational drugs, they could at least come up with a plan to curb use, not just punish users. It's such a 20th century approach to the problem.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously though, sitting home for 14 weeks and not using is a pretty serious test. It actually seems pretty unintuitive to say "How dare you use this illegal drug, now go home and have nothing to do, and feel bad about yourself, that'll stop your drug use."

It seems like if they weren't going to stop testing for harmless recreational drugs, they could at least come up with a plan to curb use, not just punish users. It's such a 20th century approach to the problem.
Although I think he is allowed to at least be at the Dallas facilities. He can't practice but he is able to workout in the facilities and such. At least the Cowboys are able to continue providing him some sort of resources. Plus I doubt the stint in rehab did much for him in terms of working out. He probably needs to be hitting the gym right now.

Top Bottom