Thursday Night Chatter Thread - Week 3 | Texans v. Patriots| 09/22/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So Wentz threw for 85 more yards than Brissett on 16 more attempts and their Y/A is almost exactly the same.

Yet all I hear today is that Wentz is the real deal?

Am I missing something?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Also Osweiler has looked very average, I think that contract will suck big time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So Wentz threw for 85 more yards than Brissett on 16 more attempts and their Y/A is almost exactly the same.

Am I missing something?
If you watched each game live you could clearly see the vast differences between the two. Brissett couldn't complete much of anything past 5 yards while Wentz's stats were somewhat limited due to drops.

It's not just about the stats though, Brissett was clearly much more coddled than Wentz was.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If you watched each game live you could clearly see the vast differences between the two. Brissett couldn't complete much of anything past 5 yards while Wentz's stats were somewhat limited due to drops.

It's not just about the stats though, Brissett was clearly much more coddled than Wentz was.
Not comparing the 2 as prospects just noting how the game plans were similiar.

Wentz was also coddled by a lot of short passing and short fields.

I just don't see how anybody can be gushing over Wentz performance like I keep hearing on the radio today

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Brissett completed a total over one ball over 10 yards in that game. That's the big difference.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Also Osweiler has looked very average, I think that contract will suck big time.
I never understood the big contract to begin with.

He didn't win any games for Denver last season. He did a decent job keeping the ship afloat, but he wasn't out there throwing for 300 yards and 3 TD's a week. He filled in 8 times last year only throwing over 300 yards just once, and only twice in those 6 games did he throw more than 1 TD.

I'm not sure what it was that made Houston think he was worth the risk, but it's not looking like a smart investment at the moment. In 3 games, he's only led the offense into the endzone 3 times while throwing only 3 TD's to 4 INT's.

He's still young and it's still early, so I wouldn't bury the guy yet, but through 3 weeks, he certainly doesn't look like the guy that's going to lead a franchise.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is that a big difference when both had Y/A of 5.5.?
Well first of all 5.5 ypa isn't very good. But the fact that one guy was at least completing difficult passes while the other guy was completing easy ones is a big difference. But to say the numbers are the same except for passing attempts is a bit misleading. There is a reason why one QB had a QB rating of 86 and the other had a rating of 72. Brissett had a lower YPA, completion percentage and TD to INT ratio.

But if Brissett completes a 4 yard pass and his WR goes 16 yards to get a first down that isn't the same thing as completing a ball 16 yards down field.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well first of all 5.5 ypa isn't very good. But the fact that one guy was at least completing difficult passes while the other guy was completing easy ones is a big difference. But to say the numbers are the same except for passing attempts is a bit misleading. There is a reason why one QB had a QB rating of 86 and the other had a rating of 72. Brissett had a lower YPA, completion percentage and TD to INT ratio.

But if Brissett completes a 4 yard pass and his WR goes 16 yards to get a first down that isn't the same thing as completing a ball 16 yards down field.
The only difference in the QBR is Wentz threw a TD and Brisset did not neither threw an int.

The YPA was a .2 difference 5.4 to 5.6.

This is not about propping Brisset its about Wentz mediocre numbers.

I mean these are the type of headlines going around today.

Is Carson Wentz the next coming of Ben Roethlisberger?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean these are the type of headlines going around today.

Is Carson Wentz the next coming of Ben Roethlisberger?
I think Wentz game is getting overhyped. It's interesting when you look at QBR and the old QB ratings system. Wentz for example, his QB rating is higher then Prescotts on the year. But for anyone that has seen both QBs play I think you'd be hard pressed for to say Wentz had played better then Dak. But if you look at QBR Dak's is way higher. Mostly on the old QB rating Dak is just hurt by not throwing for TD passes but who really cares if he is running for the TD instead. Or if he is getting us down to the goal line and Zeke is running it in.

I think Wentz has had his moments of looking truly great but I think he still has problems with throwing every pass like it's a rocket and it's causing some of these drops. Also some of those throws are going into tight or heavy coverage and being dropped as a result of defenders being right there.

data

Forbes #1
Regardless, Wentz is already better than anyone they've had in the last several seasons. Was hoping there'd be at least a 2 year on-ramp, if not total Manziel collapse.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Am I missing something?
Yes, Wentz's game was way overrated.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I never understood the big contract to begin with.

He didn't win any games for Denver last season. He did a decent job keeping the ship afloat, but he wasn't out there throwing for 300 yards and 3 TD's a week. He filled in 8 times last year only throwing over 300 yards just once, and only twice in those 6 games did he throw more than 1 TD.

I'm not sure what it was that made Houston think he was worth the risk, but it's not looking like a smart investment at the moment. In 3 games, he's only led the offense into the endzone 3 times while throwing only 3 TD's to 4 INT's.

He's still young and it's still early, so I wouldn't bury the guy yet, but through 3 weeks, he certainly doesn't look like the guy that's going to lead a franchise.
It was just a case of supply and demand. There aren't enough quality QBs to go around so teams desperately pay out ridiculous contracts to any QB that shows an inkling of talent.

Osweiler's performance shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who paid attention last year. Quite honestly, aside from the TD-INT ratio, his numbers weren't much better than a washed up Peyton Manning.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Regardless, Wentz is already better than anyone they've had in the last several seasons. Was hoping there'd be at least a 2 year on-ramp, if not total Manziel collapse.
That still remains to be seen and this is exactly what I am talking about.

I know he is everyone's favorite whipping boy but Wentz has looked as good as Bradford did down the stretch last year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Wentz looked very good and less robotic.

I think he is benefiting greatly from the play calling but you still have to make the plays.

Also Pitt looked as bad we do rushing the passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom