Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Redskins | Week 2 | 09-18-16

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

It's weird; Hitchens was solid his first two years. He's been terrible so far this season (including preseason).

data

Forbes #1
Likely cutler is out vs us. In comes the dreaded backup QB. We are screwed.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Did Thornton not play? I'm pretty sure he played.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Likely cutler is out vs us. In comes the dreaded backup QB. We are screwed.
Not just Cutler. Travathan broke his thumb, Goldman has a high ankle and LaMarr Houston blew out his knee.

We lose by double digits.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I watched the game again the o-line is reminding me of how they looked at the beginning last year, just not quite in sync.

Tyron did not have his best game he was beat physically a couple of times against the run and pass.

Collins is still kinda hit or miss.

Does Elliot look a bit chunky?

I know everybody wants to rag on the defense but what they did from the onside kick onward was pretty great.

0 points in the 4th quarter when they could have cracked several times.

Pass rush was cringe worthy at times, DB play in the red zone was stellar.

And Dak just looks like a veteran that go ahead drive a was thing of beauty.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I watched the game again the o-line is reminding me of how they looked at the beginning last year, just not quite in sync.

Tyron did not have his best game he was beat physically a couple of times against the run and pass.

I know everybody wants to rag on the defense but what they did from the onside kick onward was pretty great.

Remember that Martin had a stinger last year that kind of limited him early in the year and the same thing may be happening with Tyron. I have faith that the OL will get it together as the year goes on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I was actually reading a report that basically said there are some questions about Elliot's conditioning and if maybe he has kind of gotten a little lazy since getting to the NFL.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
bad taste in women
interested in weed
suspect conditioning

Jerry hits another home run

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah I was actually reading a report that basically said there are some questions about Elliot's conditioning and if maybe he has kind of gotten a little lazy since getting to the NFL.
I don't know if Lazy is the right word but he does come of a bit spoiled and I think this humbling start is going to benefit him in the long run.

He might need to play lighter than he did in college like Laveon Bell.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if Lazy is the right word but he does come of a bit spoiled and I think this humbling start is going to benefit him in the long run.

He might need to play lighter than he did in college like Laveon Bell.
Yeah, I think it's probably a little more self entitled then anything. And the Cowboys didn't really help that by basically saying he could sit all preseason and just be handed the starting job. He may be a little out of condition as a result of that as well.

Personally I think he is just still pressing. You saw it at the beginning of the Skins game as well where he sort of fell on both of his early carries. Like he was pushing so hard that he was tripping himself up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also think Elliott is really just pressing too hard right now, I don't think he can handle the expectations, the ones from outside or the ones he has for himself. He is slipping all over the place, not showing patience in hitting holes and his second fumble was basically a result of just running into the back of his blockers and not showing vision.

Before the play even started you could kind of see him lurch forward a bit in anticipation of the snap, like he couldn't wait to get going.

The fact that his vision/patience were two of his biggest strengths in college makes me think this is something that he will improve on, and is likely a result of him pushing way too hard to live up to expectations/justify the pick.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Heres hoping Elliot isn't another poster child for why not to draft a RB at the top of the boards.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think during last week's game against the Giants they were talking about the Cowboys being concerned during training camp about Elliott's conditioning.

They said he was huffing and puffing hard after one series of an exercise. Meanwhile the vets were pretty much breathing normally and lining up for the next round of drills.

Urban Meyer strikes me as a guy who works his guys hard so I'm hoping that was just a case of a rookie being a little too full of himself after coming off a great college career. Hopefully that was his wake up call and there are no issues going forward.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

One of the former players on ESPN addressed the sloppy, inconsistent OL play. He says it's pretty much an epidemic around the NFL. He mainly pointed the finger at the limited practice time that was bargained for in the CBA. Therefore since guys aren't practicing full speed as much as they used to, his opinion is we're going to continue to see overall OL play struggle early in the year from here on out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
One of the former players on ESPN addressed the sloppy, inconsistent OL play. He says it's pretty much an epidemic around the NFL. He mainly pointed the finger at the limited practice time that was bargained for in the CBA. Therefore since guys aren't practicing full speed as much as they used to, his opinion is we're going to continue to see overall OL play struggle early in the year from here on out.
Part of the issue I have noticed, is that some of the line is trying to move to the second level too soon. They aren't securing the line long enough to let the RB hit the hole. They are moving on the the LB level too quickly.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I also think Elliott is really just pressing too hard right now, I don't think he can handle the expectations, the ones from outside or the ones he has for himself. He is slipping all over the place, not showing patience in hitting holes and his second fumble was basically a result of just running into the back of his blockers and not showing vision.

Before the play even started you could kind of see him lurch forward a bit in anticipation of the snap, like he couldn't wait to get going.

The fact that his vision/patience were two of his biggest strengths in college makes me think this is something that he will improve on, and is likely a result of him pushing way too hard to live up to expectations/justify the pick.
Yeah I agree.

He is not trusting his eyes, on that 1st fumble he seemed to be in between making a move or just a strong cut.

Last edited:
Top Bottom