QB Controversy Thread...

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The TEAM was 12 - 4.

Romo was just 34 TDs vs 9 INTs...

...and runner up in the MVP voting.

:tippytoe
And it got us how many SB Trophies?

:happydance

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Funny how that works.

Along those same lines. I've seen quite a few Romosexuals claim that Romo gives us the best chance to win a title this year. My question is this. What has Romo ever done in the postseason that would give anyone confidence that he'll suddenly turn into a clutch playoff QB capable of leading a team to a Super Bowl?

If he had a resume like Roethlisberger or Brady then I'm right there with them when it comes to giving him his job back because guys like that have proven that they can lead a team deep into the playoffs. Romo on the other has generally underwhelmed in the postseason.

I'm not rocking this boat for someone with a 2-4 postseason record and who has never come remotely close to leading his team to a Super Bowl.
Thank you. I agree with you 100%.

This would be a completely different story if he had either of those two resumes and I would be completely on board with bringing him back once he was healthy because he'd have that track record.

Let's put it another way.. If Dak and the team continue winning and we end up as either the #1 or #2 seed then in one season he has already gone as far in the playoffs as Romo ever has in his years as a starter.

Or say we get a wild card spot and advance.. Then congrats, he's half way to matching Romo's career playoff wins.

People need to let that sink in for a moment or few.

This isn't someone who has ever lit the playoffs on fire and some can argue that as great as 2014 was there were a few questionable calls that even allowed us to advance to face GB.

It isn't hate, it's just the reality of things and I realize that might be difficult for some people to hear.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Romo has had more fumbles in a game than Prescott has had.

Turnovers are the main driver why people actually don't want Romo back.
I would say it's between that, the late game backbreaking INTs, and that he's managed 2 career playoff wins.. But yeah, I get what you're saying.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Yeah I remember when Romo was a fumbling machine. But eventually he improved and then it seemed like he really rarely fumbled at all. All of Daks fumbles were in the last two weeks, so hopefully it's something he can kind of get corrected. I also think the ball was slick during the Packers game. Both QBs and WRs seemed to struggle with holding onto that ball.
It's certainly seemed to be true this past Sunday. Didn't appear that many people were able to hold onto the ball in that game. Heck, look no further than Rodgers as well who coughed it up quite a few times.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just meh? Someone has selective memory:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00/gamelog/2014/

He threw for 484 yds 4TDs and 0 Ints in the playoffs. That's not really meh.
He couldn't clear 200 yards in the loss to the Packers. And he fumbled 3 times in those two games. I didn't say they were stinkers but they were hardly amazing performances either.

And the Detriot game he stunk for 3 quarters and needed a monster fourth to come back and win. People forget how close that was to a loss because we shit ourselves most of the game.

hstour

Brand New Member
Style points don't really matter in the final score. He did enough in both of those games to win.

And fumbles that cost the team was the Murray fumble when he had 60 yards of daylight was far more impactful on the game.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Along those same lines. I've seen quite a few Romosexuals claim that Romo gives us the best chance to win a title this year. My question is this. What has Romo ever done in the postseason that would give anyone confidence that he'll suddenly turn into a clutch playoff QB capable of leading a team to a Super Bowl?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Don't know if this has been brought up, but does Wade Wilson finally get nay credit from this board or would Dak be the best QB of all time already with someone different?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Don't know if this has been brought up, but does Wade Wilson finally get nay credit from this board or would Dak be the best QB of all time already with someone different?
Wilson was absent for some (not sure how much) of training camp.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Style points don't really matter in the final score. He did enough in both of those games to win.

And fumbles that cost the team was the Murray fumble when he had 60 yards of daylight was far more impactful on the game.
So by that logic he lost the Packers game. Truth is if you continually rely on fourth quarter comebacks all it takes is one play or one call and you've lost. Walking that tight rope in the playoffs will get you out of the playoffs.

D

Deuce

I wasn't making a comparison, just stating the obvious.

But since you did, let's take a look:

Romo has 65 fumbles in 155 games or .419 per game.
Prescott has 4 fumbles in 6 games or .666 per game.

23 of Romo's came in the '07 & '08 seasons and he has been much better in the most recent years (except for '14 where he had 9).

So like Romo learned, Prescott needs to realize that as a mobile QB, you have to pay attention to how you are holding the ball when you are moving around.

That's all I was saying.
2 of Prescotts fumbles were strip sacks from the right side.

Thanks, Doug Free.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Linehan said the QBs never looked better when Wilson left camp for a few days, so no...fuck that guy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Someone on the coaching staff should get credit. Despite the assertion by some of the staff haters, Dak was not a finished product when he got here; in fact he rarely took snaps under center in college. He has taken to it quickly and that is due to his own abilities but he's certainly been well coached as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone on the coaching staff should get credit. Despite the assertion by some of the staff haters, Dak was not a finished product when he got here; in fact he rarely took snaps under center in college. He has taken to it quickly and that is due to his own abilities but he's certainly been well coached as well.
I agree with you on this. The offense Dak ran in college was not this offense. And Dak is doing things that very few rookie QBs are capable of. Someone has coached the guy really well. They have taught him how to look off safeties. They taught him how to read NFL defenses. They taught him how to adjust plays at the line of scrimmage.

Dak wasn't as raw coming out of Mississippi State as I thought or many others but there is no way in hell he came out this polished. Someone has done a great job of getting him up to NFL speed. That could be Wade Wilson, Linehan, Jason Garrett or Tony Romo for all I know. Or hell what is most likely is that it is some combination of that group. Those people deserve props for it. To say otherwise is unfair because those coaches get continually bashed based on the performance of the young QBs on the roster. As soon as one of those young QBs is good you can't abandon that argument and now say that the product on the field isn't a reflection of the coaching.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Probably Linehan. We know it isn't Garrett since he's just a walk-around coach now.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Probably Linehan. We know it isn't Garrett since he's just a walk-around coach now.
You don't know that, nor does walk around coach mean that he doesn't spend time coaching QBs, in fact my guess is that he does.

But my guess would be Linehan has done the bulk of the work.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Here's why Dak Prescott's transition from college to the Cowboys is going so well
The playbook was much more similar than anyone could have expected

by Will Brinson @WillBrinson 1h ago • 3 min read

No one could have foreseen the success Dak Prescott's had in the NFL. When Tony Romo went down, the Cowboys looked doomed because they were hinging their hopes on a rookie fourth-round pick. Instead Prescott's made a very good case for rookie of the year and is borderline in the MVP conversation.

The transition he made from Mississippi State, where he rushed 504 times in his final three years, to Dallas, where he's rushed 20 times in six games and completed over 68 percent of his passes with just one interception, has been remarkable.

Maybe it should have been more obvious. Because according Prescott, in an interview with CBS Sports for the latest edition of the Roughing the Passer Podcast (subscribe on iTunes here), the playbook in Dallas is surprisingly similar to his playbook at Mississippi State and it's a misconception that what he ran with the Bulldogs is different than what he runs with the Cowboys.

"Our passing game in college was pretty much the exact same that it is in the NFL. The only difference is I go under center sometimes. I was very fortunate to come in and get the playbook and just look at the plays and being able to connect them to plays we ran in college. So that worked well for me. Working from under center, doing things I wasn't asked to do in college, is just a testament to how hard my coaches -- Coach [Jason] Garrett, Coach [Scott] Linehan, Coach [Wade] Wilson -- from the time I got here, just planting the things in my head that I need to focus on getting back away from center, staying balanced in my throws ... great coaching."

Prescott, who appeared on behalf of Buffalo Wild Wings for his work with the Boys & Girls Club of America (see video below), also said flatly that "lot of our plays now are plays we ran at Mississippi State" and pointed to a crossover between Mullen and his current offensive coordinator Linehan.

As it turns out, the similarities should have been more obvious. According to Urban Meyer, in a 2012 interview with 11 Warriors, he and Mullen, back when Meyer was the wide receivers coach for Notre Dame, went and studied John L. Smith and Linehan's offense at Louisville.

Meyer said he was "enamored" with the offense.

In 1999, Dan Mullen was my GA at Notre Dame. John L. Smith was the coach at Louisville and Scott Linehan was the offensive coordinator. I started watching them on film and said I want to go study them. He said sure go ahead. We ended up staying four days and had to go buy a toothbrush. I was so enamored with the style of play.

So Prescott, the self-proclaimed "smartest quarterback" in the 2016 draft class, is spot on when it comes to his NFL coaching history.

What's fascinating about this is that there are often times situations where NFL teams implement plays from a college quarterback's college playbook in order to make him more comfortable. That hasn't been the case with Prescott, who just worked his way into the Cowboys offense seamlessly.

"No it's just how it worked out with where I landed," Prescott said. "From Day 1 when I go into camp, as the third-string guy, the plays were very similar and a lot we did in college. So I just lucked up on that behalf."

Top Bottom