Schefter: Gregory Withdraws Appeal Of Suspension

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:lol

That isn't true at all. He is actually a very talented guy.
Really?

Where have you seen this talent outside of the Big 10?

All I've seen is a guy who almost got a sack or two in the preseason and who contributed next to nothing last year.

And from what I've seen from him so far, he doesn't strike me as a hard worker who will make a big leap in years 2-3.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't think you can say with any certainty that he sucks.
From what I've seen from him so far......he sucks. I'm just going by the tape that HE put out there.

I know you guys want to buy into potential and all that but I can only go by what my eyes showed me......and what I saw last year was a guy who looked like he's trying to skate by on natural ability because doing so was probably good enough in high school and college.

If he were a 6th rounder he'd already be off the team but since he's a 2nd rounder everyone feels the need to hold on to him in hopes of salvaging something from yet another wasted 2nd round pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I've seen from him so far......he sucks. I'm just going by the tape that HE put out there.
So you studied the tape did you? Was that the tape before or after the high ankle sprain? Because if you watch the tape before the high ankle sprain he was destroying the Giants, even if it didn't show up in the stat line. And no I can't forget that the guy was a first round talent or that he went toe to toe with Tyron Smith in preseason. You can dog him for smoking weed or being dumb all you want but to claim he just sucks is absurd. He was a rookie adding weight and coming back from a serious injury mid season.

You might be right about the suspensions and his work ethic though. Who knows what he will look like after being away from football for a year. He may be a 210 pound turd at that point. So you cut him then.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...his former Husker teammate, Maliek Collins, looks pretty damn good. If they move T. Crawford to DE more, that should open up more playing time for Collins and Thornton.

I was excited about the signing of Thornton, but for whatever reason he has the lowest snap total of any DL. I thought he would be a key cog this season, now it looks more like he is depth.

Jiggyfly

Banned
As an aside...his former Husker teammate, Maliek Collins, looks pretty damn good. If they move T. Crawford to DE more, that should open up more playing time for Collins and Thornton.

I was excited about the signing of Thornton, but for whatever reason he has the lowest snap total of any DL. I thought he would be a key cog this season, now it looks more like he is depth.
Collins has looked good and they played in some crucial situations so they must have some faith in him.

The biggest difference between Mclain and Thornton is that Mclain can get off blocks and still make a play Thornton right now is just not the better player.

He is still a huge upgrade over Hayden, I think most of the run issues are LB related outside of Lee no one else is getting off any blocks.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Thornton has the ability to play both DT spots...my preference would be for him to play the 3, not the 1...kicking Crawford to DE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Thornton has the ability to play both DT spots...my preference would be for him to play the 3, not the 1...kicking Crawford to DE.
That is pretty much what happened in the 2nd half and will probably repeat itself going forward. I would rather see Irving back up Thornton. To me, he seems better inside at the 3T.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Really?

Where have you seen this talent outside of the Big 10?

All I've seen is a guy who almost got a sack or two in the preseason and who contributed next to nothing last year.

And from what I've seen from him so far, he doesn't strike me as a hard worker who will make a big leap in years 2-3.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2016/9/7/12824782/dallas-cowboys-freeze-frame-why-care-about-randy-gregory?client=ms-android-att-aio-us

Not that this article is gospel, but it provides real, tangible evidence that Gregory flashed a good amount of talent last year.

You can say he doesn't have enough desire or dedication to ever realize his potential, and you may be right. But there should be no question about whether the talent is there, if you are being honest.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Thornton is more of NT, Mclain is much more active and fits the 3 much better but I agree about kicking Crawford to DE.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So you studied the tape did you? Was that the tape before or after the high ankle sprain? Because if you watch the tape before the high ankle sprain he was destroying the Giants, even if it didn't show up in the stat line. And no I can't forget that the guy was a first round talent or that he went toe to toe with Tyron Smith in preseason. You can dog him for smoking weed or being dumb all you want but to claim he just sucks is absurd. He was a rookie adding weight and coming back from a serious injury mid season.

You might be right about the suspensions and his work ethic though. Who knows what he will look like after being away from football for a year. He may be a 210 pound turd at that point. So you cut him then.
Oh for fuck sakes...you didn't watch tape either. Let's be clear here...you watched the game on TV like everyone else did. You did not watch tape or walk around all day with a whistle around your neck wearing coaches shorts.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Oh for fuck sakes...you didn't watch tape either. Let's be clear here...you watched the game on TV like everyone else did. You did not watch tape or walk around all day with a whistle around your neck wearing coaches shorts.
:lol

Carp

DCC 4Life
Thornton is more of NT, Mclain is much more active and fits the 3 much better but I agree about kicking Crawford to DE.
I think McClain is better suited at the 1 and Crawford at the 3. McClain plays with more power and I think Thornton is more athletic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh GFY, I never said I watched the tape. So don't give me some blow hard response just because you feel like being a dick today.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That is pretty much what happened in the 2nd half and will probably repeat itself going forward. I would rather see Irving back up Thornton. To me, he seems better inside at the 3T.
Where would that leave Collins? We seem to have a bunch of 3's and no real 1T or DE's...

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I know you guys want to buy into potential and all that but I can only go by what my eyes showed me......and what I saw last year was a guy who looked like he's trying to skate by on natural ability because doing so was probably good enough in high school and college.

If he were a 6th rounder he'd already be off the team but since he's a 2nd rounder everyone feels the need to hold on to him in hopes of salvaging something from yet another wasted 2nd round pick.
Yeah but rookies often look lost and DE isn't one of the easier positions to come in and play seamlessly. Any 2nd round rookie DE needs time just like DeMarcus Lawrence did.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Oh GFY, I never said I watched the tape. So don't give me some blow hard response just because you feel like being a dick today.
Really?

So you studied the tape did you? Was that the tape before or after the high ankle sprain? Because if you watch the tape before the high ankle sprain he was destroying the Giants, even if it didn't show up in the stat line.
You are referencing a tape that you watched. I'm sure you probably scribbled some notes on the clipboard you were holding as you watched the tape.

1. Take out trash
2. Buy ointment for rash
3. Gregory is beasting out vs Giants

Smitty

DCC 4Life
IMO, our best DL this season might be the following:

LE: Tyrone Crawford | Jack Crawford | Ryan Davis
NT: Cedric Thornton |
3T: Terrell McClain | Maliek Collins | David Irving
RE: DeMarcus Lawrence | Benson Mayowa | Charles Tapper (if ever healthy?)

Top Bottom