User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brice Butler: If I知 not a starter, I知 not returning to Dallas

Brice Butler: If I知 not a starter, I知 not returning to Dallas

Brice Butler: If I知 not a starter, I知 not returning to Dallas
    Posted by Charean Williams on January 11, 2018, 4:02 PM EST

Cowboys receiver Brice Butler made 15 catches in 2017. He has 73 in his five-year career.

Yet, Butler says only lack of opportunity held him back, declaring he would have produced better than Dez Bryant this season if given Bryant痴 132 targets. Further, Butler, who becomes a free agent in March, gave the Cowboys an ultimatum while making the rounds at Fox Sports 1 on Thursday.

展ith Dallas, the situation has to be right for me to go back, Butler said on The Herd, via the Dallas Morning News. 的 have to be a starter. If I知 not starting, I知 not going back.

Butler, 27, played 261 offensive snaps, fourth among the team痴 wide receivers, and Dak Prescott targeted him only 23 times in 490 attempts.

的 think in this league, when you think about the business aspect, you致e got to follow the money trail, Butler said on Undisputed. 釘oth of our starters made money. Terrance [Williams] just got paid last year. So there were times where I was like, 選知 making plays, aren稚 we trying to win games? Why am I not on the field? But that痴 the only thing that I can really think of.

The Cowboys will have change at the position next season. Cowboys receivers coach Derek Dooley left for the University of Missouri; the team likely asks Bryant to take a pay cut, and Butler apparently will seek a chance to be a starter elsewhere.

Bryant made 69 catches for 838 yards and six touchdowns, and Butler said he痴 100 percent confident he could have had bigger numbers given the same chances Bryant had.

釘ecause I知 ready. It痴 my time, said Butler, who led the team with a 21.1 yards per catch average. 的致e been there for three years. I feel like me and Dak have a really good relationship. We work on routes. There痴 times that we might not have completed a square-out throw in practice, and we池e taking that time out in practice to actually work on it. So I think that痴 why when you saw us in the game, he tried to come to me, and most of the times we produced.

This guy might make more of a case for himself if he was available the three games that killed us down the stretch.

But he wasn't.

And this has to be a first. A guy with 15 catches on an entire season saying he deserves to be a starter.

He may have a point though. In Dallas it's not an actual competition. No matter how much he outplayed Dez he was never going to jump him on the depth chart.

You know it’s bad when JAGs are jumping ship ha

He ain’t no Jimmy Smith or Patrick Jeffers.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'd think about keeping Butler and dumping Dez. I think Butler gives you a lot of what Dez does with better deep speed. They both make the spectacular catches and drop some of the easy ones. Butler does a really good job of going up and over guys. And what you can get Butler for on a contract allows you to use a top pick there and take some time getting the young guy ready. Frankly, Butler does a better job of getting separation. I think Butler has been under utilized in Dallas and if given the chance could give you those 700-800 yards receiving like Dez if given the balls.

I do find his attitude a little irritating but I think he is just frustrated right now in Dallas and has a high opinion of himself. But then again, most WR's are sort of divas so it isn't that surprising.

7. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'd think about keeping Butler and dumping Dez. I think Butler gives you a lot of what Dez does with better deep speed. They both make the spectacular catches and drop some of the easy ones. Butler does a really good job of going up and over guys. And what you can get Butler for on a contract allows you to use a top pick there and take some time getting the young guy ready. Frankly, Butler does a better job of getting separation. I think Butler has been under utilized in Dallas and if given the chance could give you those 700-800 yards receiving like Dez if given the balls.

I do find his attitude a little irritating but I think he is just frustrated right now in Dallas and has a high opinion of himself. But then again, most WR's are sort of divas so it isn't that surprising.
    I agree and I'd be fine with that. Butler isn't a WR1 type but we've already been lacking that for a couple, few years and Butler can fill the role as a stopgap.

Im ok with moving on from Dez as a WR1 but not ok with replacing him with this JAG. Let him walk.
    #Fire Garrett

I am pretty much of the same opinion. Butler has consistently been able to deliver a verticle threat when he is in the lineup. Bryant will never be able to do that on the minus side of the 50 yard line. He is a verticle threat primarily when the LOS is 30 yards or less.
    Since Day One

I agree with this, but we'll still need a true #1 WR.