MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rangers aren't looking good for the playoffs. I want to believe in their motto Never Ever Quit but it's getting hard. Not that I would quit but for hopes of getting to world series. I just have to keep reminding myself that they play up to or down to the competion. I think they are around 60-30 against teams with winning records. Just a scary time as even Hamels and Darvish aren't pitching very good.
Hamels and Darvish are what is making me nervous. They have both been really off in their last couple of starts. Hopefully, they are getting that shit out of their systems before the playoffs.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Hamels and Darvish are what is making me nervous. They have both been really off in their last couple of starts. Hopefully, they are getting that shit out of their systems before the playoffs.
More than just the last couple. Grant worked up their ERA after each of their last 5 starts and it's almost 7.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
More than just the last couple. Grant worked up their ERA after each of their last 5 starts and it's almost 7.
Jeez, man. I did not need to know that. I knew it had been bad lately but didn't realize how many starts it had been.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Braves completed the sweep of the Mets last night with Inciarte making a nice grab to rob Cespedes of a potential GW 3-run homer.

With that win the Braves' magic number is down to 2. Two more wins and we avoid an 100-loss season. :towel

The Braves have actually been semi-decent in the second half of the season.

Rev

Staff member
Braves completed the sweep of the Mets last night with Inciarte making a nice grab to rob Cespedes of a potential GW 3-run homer.

With that win the Braves' magic number is down to 2. Two more wins and we avoid an 100-loss season. :towel

With the loss last night we assured ourselves missing a 100 win season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Lots of people starting to jump on this Red-Sox-Are-The-Favorites bandwagon, and I'd rather they not.

They are in great form heading into the playoffs, but I still feel like the pitching needs more.

But they've got a great lineup that can play small ball or hit with power. They're gonna be tough to take out no matter who they face.

Can't wait for Fall, night time baseball. :towel

Rev

Staff member
Lots of people starting to jump on this Red-Sox-Are-The-Favorites bandwagon, and I'd rather they not.

They are in great form heading into the playoffs, but I still feel like the pitching needs more.

But they've got a great lineup that can play small ball or hit with power. They're gonna be tough to take out no matter who they face.

Can't wait for Fall, night time baseball. :towel
They might be the favorites. The Rangers pitching has gone South for the winter already. Cleveland has lost two of their starters to injury.

The only reason I hesitate is the fact that the Rangers play to their competition. Their record against the good teams is crazy good. We shall see shortly. Right now it looks like the Rangers will get the winner of the Baltimore/Toronto play in. Assuming both Toronto and Boston win that's a whole lot of offense we would have to get through.

Rev

Staff member
Derrick Holland is such a bum.
His problem has always been mental. Well mental and now can't stay healthy for the past couple of seasons. This is probably his last year with Texas as I cant see them picking up his option.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They might be the favorites. The Rangers pitching has gone South for the winter already. Cleveland has lost two of their starters to injury.

The only reason I hesitate is the fact that the Rangers play to their competition. Their record against the good teams is crazy good. We shall see shortly. Right now it looks like the Rangers will get the winner of the Baltimore/Toronto play in. Assuming both Toronto and Boston win that's a whole lot of offense we would have to get through.
A Red Sox/Rangers series could be one of the most exciting in a long time.

If both teams' pitching isn't up to snuff, then we could have hits galore with the lineups these teams have.

I could see a series full of 8-6 or 9-7 type games.

Carp

DCC 4Life
God...the NL wild card consists of 3 teams limping to the end of the season. I was pretty shocked that the Mets were making a run, they really have no business making the playoffs. We have 2 of our original 5 starting pitchers available...Matz is supposed to start on Friday, so that is something.

Now if they do make it, it will pretty much be playing with house money. Which may make them more dangerous to the Cubs or Dodgers in the divisional round.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
God...the NL wild card consists of 3 teams limping to the end of the season. I was pretty shocked that the Mets were making a run, they really have no business making the playoffs. We have 2 of our original 5 starting pitchers available...Matz is supposed to start on Friday, so that is something.

Now if they do make it, it will pretty much be playing with house money. Which may make them more dangerous to the Cubs or Dodgers in the divisional round.
Wounded animal!

That NL Wild Card race is a dead heat between the SF, StL, and NYM. One of those teams isn't going to make it. The Cubs play StL at Wrigley this weekend so they have a chance to nearly bury the Cards. Those bastards won't go away easily though. All 3 teams who are vying for that spot are potentially dangerous but also flawed. I still think I would rather play the Mets over the others in a series though. Especially with deGrom now out of the picture.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Go Braves. :towel

I want the first overall pick.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Go Braves. :towel

I want the first overall pick.
If I actually kept up with amateur/draft eligible players I'd probably be in favor of tanking. But since I don't know the players I'll take my cheap, meaningless wins now.

Besides, the Braves would probably spend the #1 overall pick on another pitcher. Something that I railed against earlier this year. I think they need to focus a bit more on drafting everyday players.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

1bigfan13

Staff member
That boat was f'd up. They had to be traveling at a high rate of speed.

Very sad news indeed.

1bigfan13

Staff member
According to the joint press conference that includes the Florida Fish & Wildlife, US Coast Guard, and Miami-Dade Fire and Rescure, it sounds like the boat capsized and landed on top of 2 of the victims and one victim was found in the water.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom