User Tag List

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    So, you're saying we are an elite QB away from making Garrett a good coach?
    You're gonna have to point out where he's saying that. I'm not seeing it.

What about Eric Reid?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    What about Eric Reid?
    Meh, I assume he'll want too much money.

There are plenty of safeties I'd be interested in but I assume guys like him, Vaccaro, Boston, Joyner and so forth will be looking for at least about 7-8 a year, which isn't worth it considering what we already have at safety and what the rest of our roster looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Meh, I assume he'll want too much money.

There are plenty of safeties I'd be interested in but I assume guys like him, Vaccaro, Boston, Joyner and so forth will be looking for at least about 7-8 a year, which isn't worth it considering what we already have at safety and what the rest of our roster looks like.
    I don't know, I remember some solid safeties signing last off season on reasonable deals. But honestly I'm ok waiting on the draft. With Xavier Woods looking good we have the ability to be patient at safety. Even though I'd take a stud in the first in a heart beat. And if I can get a safety cheap in free agency I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
    That's only part of the problem. As I pointed out in one of my earlier posts above, even when Dez was paired with Tony Romo he didn't pull in a particularly high percent of passes thrown his way. By contrast our other two top receivers, Terrance Williams and Jason Witten, are pulling in 70% of the passes thrown their way with Dak as the starting QB. Right on par with the numbers they had with Romo.

So getting better play at QB won't fix our Dez problem.

That's pretty common for WR1s I think.

I don't know, I remember some solid safeties signing last off season on reasonable deals. But honestly I'm ok waiting on the draft. With Xavier Woods looking good we have the ability to be patient at safety. Even though I'd take a stud in the first in a heart beat. And if I can get a safety cheap in free agency I would do it.
    I really wanted Swearinger last year and he only got about 3/10 I believe, if we can get Vaccaro, Boston, Reid, etc. for something like that I'd do it in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    So, you're saying we are an elite QB away from making Garrett a good coach?
    Nah, of course not.

But if you took 2014 Romo and put him on the 2018 Cowboys, or heck current Brees, Ryan, Roethlisberger, etc., you'd get a reasonable approximation of prime Dez back.

The offense as a whole would look better, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
    Even with Romo at QB it seemed like the bulk of Dez's catches came from him having to outjump or outmuscle the DB for a tough catch. You don't see him create separation that often.

Overall I'd say it's a 3-part problem, IMO.

1. What I think is happening is Dez has lost some athleticism due to age and injury so he's not winning as many of those jump balls anymore. He lacks the speed and route running ability to beat coverages with underneath routes

2. Dak doesn't have the passing skills to consistently place the ball in the ideal spot for Dez.

3. The coaching staff is incapable of creating mismatches to place their receivers in the best position to succeed.
    I don't disagree with most of this (although I think point number 1 remains to be seen - Dez hasn't put up prime numbers since 2014 when he was I think 26. Age doesn't catch up to you at 26.).

I look at Dez a lot like TO. Certainly has flaws and kind of does what he wants, but what he does well he does SO well that he's very tough to stop.

What about Eric Reid?

Jerry will never sign the first guy to follow Kaepernick's lead.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    You're gonna have to point out where he's saying that. I'm not seeing it.
    "Everything will take of itself" to me implies winning something of significance, but maybe I read it wrong.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion