User Tag List

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    If you put Dez with a top flight passing QB, Dez's number would return to his prime.

People focusing on Dez are focused on the wrong thing.

Get the QB better and everything will take care of itself.
    That's only part of the problem. As I pointed out in one of my earlier posts above, even when Dez was paired with Tony Romo he didn't pull in a particularly high percent of passes thrown his way. By contrast our other two top receivers, Terrance Williams and Jason Witten, are pulling in 70% of the passes thrown their way with Dak as the starting QB. Right on par with the numbers they had with Romo.

So getting better play at QB won't fix our Dez problem.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    If you put Dez with a top flight passing QB, Dez's number would return to his prime.

People focusing on Dez are focused on the wrong thing.

Get the QB better and everything will take care of itself.
    So, you're saying we are an elite QB away from making Garrett a good coach?
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
    That's only part of the problem. As I pointed out in one of my earlier posts above, even when Dez was paired with Tony Romo he didn't pull in a particularly high percent of passes thrown his way. By contrast our other two top receivers, Terrance Williams and Jason Witten, are pulling in 70% of the passes thrown their way with Dak as the starting QB. Right on par with the numbers with the numbers they had with Romo.

But, getting better play at WR1 will fix our Dak problem.

I seriously doubt this. Nothing about Dez screams that he is the same receiver that he was before his injuries. Maybe it's those career high in drops that inspire such confidence.

That's only part of the problem. As I pointed out in one of my earlier posts above, even when Dez was paired with Tony Romo he didn't pull in a particularly high percent of passes thrown his way. By contrast our other two top receivers, Terrance Williams and Jason Witten, are pulling in 70% of the passes thrown their way with Dak as the starting QB. Right on par with the numbers they had with Romo.

Dez's career percentage prior to Dak was actually only 60%. He's never been a high percentage guy. And I hope people aren't still pretending that Dez is the same guy he was in his prime. That's silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    But, getting better play at WR1 will fix our Dak problem.
    Even with Romo at QB it seemed like the bulk of Dez's catches came from him having to outjump or outmuscle the DB for a tough catch. You don't see him create separation that often.

Overall I'd say it's a 3-part problem, IMO.

1. What I think is happening is Dez has lost some athleticism due to age and injury so he's not winning as many of those jump balls anymore. He lacks the speed and route running ability to beat coverages with underneath routes

2. Dak doesn't have the passing skills to consistently place the ball in the ideal spot for Dez.

3. The coaching staff is incapable of creating mismatches to place their receivers in the best position to succeed.
    Last edited by 1bigfan13; 01-10-2018 at 03:31 PM.

I know this shouldn't matter but you know it factors into the decision making of the Arkansas hillbillies, but you also have to factor in that Dez is still very marketable. Even though his performance has been underwhelming the better part of the last 3 seasons, Dez still carries a considerable amount of star power.
    That is absolutely true. Someone like Allen Robinson will never have the jersey sales of Dez Bryant. Even if Dez isn't a stud WR anymore.

Even with Romo at QB it seemed like the bulk of Dez's catches came from him having to outjump or outmuscle the DB for a tough catch. You don't see him create separation that often.

Overall I'd say it's a 3-part problem, IMO.

1. What I think is happening is Dez has lost a some athleticism due to age and injury so he's not winning as many of those jump balls anymore. He lacks the speed and route running ability to create beat coverages with underneath routes

2. Dak doesn't have the passing skills to consistently place the ball in the ideal spot for Dez.

3. The coaching staff is incapable of creating mismatches to place their receivers in the best position to succeed.
    I think that's probably pretty accurate.

Yeah, everything has to be PERFECT with fucking Dez.

I guess getting in a time machine and pulling a young Tom Brady onto the 2018 Cowboys will magically make the football quit clanging off his hands.

Ball placement has to be fucking GOAT level with this guy to make any plays because he gets fucking ZERO separation.

Hell, let's go get Paul Blake so he can fire the ball into Dez's fucking facemask so he can actually catch it.

Aside from our own guys (Hitchens, etc.) here's a list of guys we should be interested in, since we're almost certainly not going to hand out any $10+ million contracts so I went ahead and listed value guys also with my favorites in bold. Some of these guys are older but someone like Ngata could come in and be a nice player if he is only out there for about 40% of the snaps.

This should probably just get posted on the first page instead of whatever gump lists these writers come up with.

WR: Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins
    Value: Paul Richardson, Marqise Lee, Taylor Gabriel, Albert Wilson, John Brown

RB (only interested in change of pace receiving backs, if cheap of course): Dion Lewis, Jerick McKinnon

DT: Donati Poe, Bennie Logan, Star Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson
    Value: DaQuan Jones, Shamar Stephen, Clinton McDonald, Haloti Ngata, Tom Johnson

DE: Ezekiel Ansah, Adrian Clayborn
    Value: Denico Autry, Alex Okafor, Kony Ealy, Jerry Attaochu

LB (none should be especially expensive): Tahir Whitehead, Demario Davis, Nigel Bradham, Preston Brown, Navorro Bowman

As far as safety I don't think there is much out there that represents a sizable upgrade and most would just be progress-stoppers. TJ Ward would be a nice box safety/nickel LB type if he comes on the cheap but Frazier has been good in that role so it's not really necessary. Kenny Vaccaro could be a name but I'd be hesitant to give him the big deal I'm sure he'll want but he would definitely be an upgrade as far as a box safety goes. Tre Boston will want too much money for being a 1-year wonder, LaMarcus Joyner is good but kind of duplicative with Woods. Bradley McDougald could be a nice, cheap option who brings some range in the back but again, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he is even over a guy like Heath.

Long story short, while some of these guys are better than what we have in safety I don't like the value there assuming guys like Vaccaro and Boston will want 7-10 a year, and I'd rather draft someone/keep developing guys like Woods and Frazier.