Chiefs Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, it looks like Beasley may be out this week.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So, it looks like Beasley may be out this week.
Switzer gets his chance then.

As a returner, the guy sucks and needs replacing. But as a WR, I think he has some promise and I'm eager to see what he can do.

Cotton

Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Yet Another Tough Matchup For La’el Collins; Limiting Tyreek Hill
Thursday, November 02, 2017 10:28 AM CDT
By Bryan Broaddus

FRISCO, Texas – Here are the two big matchups I have my eye on heading into this game against Kansas City.

Dallas Cowboys OT La’el Collins vs. Kansas City Chiefs LB Justin Houston

It’s another week and another tough matchup for La’el Collins as he squares off against Justin Houston.

For the most part, Collins has fared well in his transition from guard to tackle. Ryan Kerrigan broke him down a couple of times last week, which was to be expected, but Collins wasn’t terrible overall.

In studying Houston, I see a similar player to what Collins faced in Kerrigan. Where Houston is different is that I don’t always see a relentless rusher. Both players do have the ability to break down their man. Houston can capture the edge, and once he does, he can really turn the corner.

When Collins is poor, it generally deals with his technique -- which allows his man to capture his corner. As I’ve said many times before about Collins, when his hands are bad, he’s bad. This is the area where Kerrigan took advantage of him and my worry when facing Houston. Things tend to compound for Collins when he has a poor set or two. The more he can stay in sync, the better he plays.

Collins cannot afford to miss with his hands in this game. He has to find a way to kick wide to Houston, stay in balance and get his hands on him quickly. When that all comes together for Collins, he has proven to be difficult to get around.

On the other hand, Houston has seen Collins’ technique flaws and will try work to make himself small. By this I mean, he will not give Collins much of a hitting surface. By playing almost sideways as he rushes, he can put Collins in some of those poor blocking positions that we saw him have against Kerrigan.

Dallas Cowboys CB Anthony Brown vs. Kansas City Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill

I have to admit that I expected more from Anthony Brown when we started this season. I just don’t see the same player that was outstanding his rookie season. He has struggled with his technique, which has caused him to struggle in coverage. There have been far too many situations where he has been out of position and he has given up receptions or drew flags from the officials.

With all that being said, he still is one of the most talented cornerbacks on this roster. In this matchup against Hill, he will need to be at his absolute best. Hill is one of the most dynamic players in the league and Andy Reid does an outstanding job of putting the ball in his hands.

Reid likes to line him up at different spots in the formation and let him go to work. He’ll play wide and in the slot. Reid also played him at running back against the Steelers. Even though he hasn’t had much success running the ball, the Redskins did have some success with Jamison Crowder and the jet sweep. I would expect that Reid would see that as a quick option for yards.

As a receiver, Hill a nightmare to deal with due to his speed. He is so sudden in the way that he plays. He can close the cushion in a hurry when he is facing off coverage. He runs by defenders in a flash. I guarantee that Reid will take a shot down the field with him, if not several. These Cowboys corners and safeties are going to have to be aware of where he is on the field.

The Steelers did a great job of taking this away, while the Raiders didn’t. Brown will need to be ready for the ball getting to the outside quickly. Some of Hill’s best plays are his out cuts. Where Hill will struggle is adjusting to the ball if it’s off target. If Brown can make him have to make some contested plays, then he has a chance control his opportunities.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I figured this much. Just traded for Morris in my fantasy league.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Good, I think he fits this blocking scheme better.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Good.

I hope he gets ample opportunities to get going.

Cotton

Staff member
Dak Prescott: 'I expect' former teammate Tony Romo to be critical during Cowboys broadcast
Shalise Manza Young

A year ago, Dak Prescott and Tony Romo were teammates on the Dallas Cowboys, with Prescott becoming a rookie sensation when he was pressed into service after Romo suffered a back injury in preseason.

On Sunday, they’ll see each other again for the first time in months, but in a different capacity: Prescott is still the Cowboys’ starting quarterback, but Romo has retired and entered the booth as the analyst on CBS’ top NFL broadcasting team as Dallas plays the Kansas City Chiefs.

Most former players and coaches who move into television are often criticized for being too soft on their old teammates and competitors, but Romo hasn’t really had that problem. And Prescott has no problems with Romo being just as critical of himself and the Cowboys as he would be with any other team.

“I kind of expect him to be [critical],” Prescott said Wednesday. “I hope he is.”

Prescott said the last time he and Romo spoke was in August, during Hall of Fame induction weekend, when Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was a member of the Class of 2017 and Dallas played in the year’s first preseason game.

But they’ll see each other again, likely on Friday, as Romo and his partner, Jim Nantz, meet with the coaches and a few players for production meetings.

Romo, who spent his entire 14-year career with the Cowboys, has been lauded for his ability to predict plays before the ball is snapped. That obviously could happen on nearly every play on Sunday when the Cowboys are on offense.

But Prescott is hoping his former teammate doesn’t do that too often.

“Hopefully he doesn’t call out and guess too many of our plays,” Prescott said. “He’ll still be very familiar with them. Hopefully he can stay away from that this week.”

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We just need to get Chidobe right so that he doesn't injure that thing again the next time he steps on the football field.

It would be odd to me if Collins isn't practicing on a limited capacity today though since he has been doing that all week long.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Something to watch on Sunday.

Pulled from this SI article: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/03/week-9-matt-ryan-falcons-panthers-cowboys-offensive-line-cam-newton-kelvin-bejamin-trade

Dallas’s best runs against San Francisco and Washington were when the ball flowed one way and Beasley went the other way. That’s a great tactic against a matchup coverage defense like Kansas City’s, where a defender is more likely to run with Beasley. And it’s a Chiefs run defense that’s allowing 4.9 yards a carry—third worst in the NFL.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With Zeke playing, we should easily put up 250 rushing yards on them. Which is good, because we need to keep Kareem Hunt and Alex Smith on the sidelines.
I live among the Chiefs bandwagon, I sure would like to get a win. Amazing how Chiefs fans have come out of the woodwork simply because someone lives in Missouri.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
With Zeke playing, we should easily put up 250 rushing yards on them. Which is good, because we need to keep Kareem Hunt and Alex Smith on the sidelines.
I guess we'll see but I wouldn't count on that.

Cotton

Staff member
I guess we'll see but I wouldn't count on that.
They have the 3rd worst rushing defense in the league. We should easily be able to gash them.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't agree that we should easily put up 250 yards rushing on them. That is a shit ton of rushing yards. Bad rushing defense or not.

Top Bottom