Jaylon Smith ???

stubbie

Not So New Member
Any news on this kid. Last thing I saw was back in the beginning of October. Anyone think he sees the field this year? Our defense is hanging in there, but with the injuries starting to pile up, we will need a spark at some point.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Any news on this kid. Last thing I saw was back in the beginning of October. Anyone think he sees the field this year? Our defense is hanging in there, but with the injuries starting to pile up, we will need a spark at some point.
There haven't been any solid updates on him lately. Just Jerry spewing rainbow diarrhea for the most part. I doubt he plays this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There haven't been any solid updates on him lately. Just Jerry spewing rainbow diarrhea for the most part. I doubt he plays this year.
Someone else I believe had met with or had dinner with him and I can't remember who. They basically said they wouldn't be surprised if Jaylon was ready to go by like week 12 or 14. But yeah I'm not holding my breath for this season. I'm certain Jaylon will be ready and good to go next year but I think this season has always been a stretch.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd love that to be true but you'd think that we would have heard by now that the nerve was firing or some such. The guy is gonna need weeks of being active before he's ready to set foot on the field for a game.

We are running out of weeks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd love that to be true but you'd think that we would have heard by now that the nerve was firing or some such. The guy is gonna need weeks of being active before he's ready to set foot on the field for a game.

It's kind of odd seeing interviews of Jaylon. The guy is just super upbeat and positive about the rehab, the team and basically everything going on. But then he just kind of beats around the bush when it comes to any real details about the injury and where it stands. I almost get the feeling that the team has told him not to release any of that information in order to keep people in the dark. I'm just not sure what the teams rational exactly is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

The nerve is firing or it's not. I believe there is a window of time that will close on this type of condition. I think it is 18 months. If it hasn't fired by then it wont ever fire. How long ago was he injured.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The nerve is firing or it's not. I believe there is a window of time that will close on this type of condition. I think it is 18 months. If it hasn't fired by then it wont ever fire. How long ago was he injured.
Last December or January. Believe it was their bowl game??

Stars

DCC 4Life
I don't see how you can ever count on him to play even a down. You notice in any article about him they can never pin down anything about the nerve? Team won't say shit either.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Every time I hear about this guy I think of him accidentally dropping his foot. That makes me chuckle.

Oops, I dropped my keys...and my foot.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I predict he comes back towards the end of the year and excelling on special teams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see how you can ever count on him to play even a down. You notice in any article about him they can never pin down anything about the nerve? Team won't say shit either.
But he has sort of said that the nerve is coming back. So my interpretation is that it's already firing. I think people have this assumption that as soon as the nerve fires he will have full function again. But I don't think that's really how it works. I think once it starts firing there is still a decent rehab process to get it back to full function. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

And the grins all over Jaylon's face when he is talking about it make me think that he is going to come back at some point this season but that maybe the team has instructed him to release no information as to that fact. Sort of as a way to surprise the league (I realize that's a silly thing to do with a rookie but that's just the way it appears to me and Jerry has become super secretive with all injuries on all of our players).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He ain't doin' shit. [/DFDC]
And he might not this year. Hell he could come back this season and still not do anything. He is a rookie who hasn't played a down in the NFL. Expecting him to jump in there after a serious injury and be any sort of an impact player this season is probably wishful thinking.

If you don't think he'll ever do shit, well then you really are a DFDC

Stars

DCC 4Life
But he has sort of said that the nerve is coming back. So my interpretation is that it's already firing. I think people have this assumption that as soon as the nerve fires he will have full function again. But I don't think that's really how it works. I think once it starts firing there is still a decent rehab process to get it back to full function. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

And the grins all over Jaylon's face when he is talking about it make me think that he is going to come back at some point this season but that maybe the team has instructed him to release no information as to that fact. Sort of as a way to surprise the league (I realize that's a silly thing to do with a rookie but that's just the way it appears to me and Jerry has become super secretive with all injuries on all of our players).
Ahh I hadn't seen anything with him insinuating that it was coming back. Good point about the rehab process even after it fires as well.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

Well I had a nerve injury in my eye. It was a small nerve that runs from the brainstem to the eye. Much shorter and smaller than the peroneal. Anyway, it took about 6 months for it to heal fully. The muscle it supplied started off weak and got stronger and stronger until it was back to normal. So based on a n of 1, I agree.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

The nerve will fully generate but the trick is to get it to function. That's for the neural impulse to fire down the nerve. Otherwise the foot will continue to be limp.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The nerve will fully generate but the trick is to get it to function. That's for the neural impulse to fire down the nerve. Otherwise the foot will continue to be limp.
It has been mentioned that the nerve is firing and that he has been able to do stuff without the brace.

So there's that?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I predict he comes back towards the end of the year and excelling on special teams.
That's about the most I'd guess we could hope for considering he missed OTAs, minicamp, training camp, and all practices in his pro career.

Given that, I don't know why we'd bother. Let him rest more and make sure he's healthy.

Top Bottom