Tony Romo Press Conference

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is not about the money, it's about Jerry wanting to do right by Romo.
And I'm sure Jerry will try to do right by Romo. But that could just be letting him have input about which team trades for him. I mean if you're talking about a first round pick, I seriously doubt Jerry would forgo the first round pick and just cut Romo to be "nice."

But that wasn't why the Colts did what they did with Manning. The Colts cut Manning because he was due an 28 mil roster bonus. Something that Romo does not have.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
We'll be lucky to get one third for Romo. Everyone knows we'll cut him if they wait long enough.
I'm not seeing a reason why the Cowboys would outright cut him. If no one wants to offer up a 1st round pick or high 2nd at minimum, the Cowboys can just hold on to him.

Yes he'd be a very expensive luxury item, but I wouldn't just flat out cut him. Especially since the average NFL QB misses a few games a year due to injury.

What am I missing?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Earlier in the season on The Break, when it was becoming clear that Dak might just be something special, they talked about if Romo is owed anything by this franchise. As in, do they owe it to him to give him his starting job back? There were mixed opinions then but that was before some of these more recent impressive victories and now no one can justify saying Romo should be reinserted as starting QB. I never felt like they necessarily owed him the starting job back. He has had the job for 10 years and has made a shitload of money. He can't rightfully expect more than that.

However, what I do feel like they owe him is to be as accommodating and mindful of his wishes as possible when it comes time to part ways. I hope they handle the situation with his best interests in mind and do whatever they can to make him as happy as he can be given the situation. I have no doubt they will. He is so interwoven into this franchise at this point and so revered by Jerry Jones that I can not imagine anything but it being handled the proper way.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Just heard the press conference. What a class act. Acknowledging the pain while being clear he knows the score. Couldn't ask for more.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Good point. This could be one of those situations where Jerry's loyalty bites us in the ass again.

The smart/correct move would be to hold on to him until someone offered up a decent trade package.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd have preferred to hear his "If this is the worst thing that happens to me, I've lived a pretty good life" speech.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I'm not seeing a reason why the Cowboys would outright cut him. If no one wants to offer up a 1st round pick or high 2nd at minimum, the Cowboys can just hold on to him.

Yes he'd be a very expensive luxury item, but I wouldn't just flat out cut him. Especially since the average NFL QB misses a few games a year due to injury.

What am I missing?
I have no idea what the cap ramifications would be and how/whether cutting him would allow us to make an Olivier Vernon-type signing, but absent some clear cut slam dunk immediate benefit to the franchise, I cannot imagine a better mentor and backup for Dak for next year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have no idea what the cap ramifications would be and how/whether cutting him would allow us to make an Olivier Vernon-type signing, but absent some clear cut slam dunk immediate benefit to the franchise, I cannot imagine a better mentor and backup for Dak for next year.
Plus if you are Romo it gives you another 16 games to take over via injury the "best team he's ever had" and then not give the job back himself.

Genghis Khan

I think the issue is that it would be extremely difficult to carry a miserable and maybe even disgruntled Tony Romo beyond this year. And at some point you have to allow your young QB the space to not be looking over his shoulder for another year.

Like it or not there's a human element to this and it's significant.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think the issue is that it would be extremely difficult to carry a miserable and maybe even disgruntled Tony Romo beyond this year. And at some point you have to allow your young QB the space to not be looking over his shoulder for another year.

True.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah but you don't actually have to keep Romo as the backup. It's more about making other teams realize that it's a possibility to maintain the trade value. And if NFL teams value Romo as little as you seem to suggest with what you think we can get in a trade, then that says maybe Romo's value in this league is as a backup.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah but you don't actually have to keep Romo as the backup. It's more about making other teams realize that it's a possibility to maintain the trade value. And if NFL teams value Romo as little as you seem to suggest with what you think we can get in a trade, then that says maybe Romo's value in this league is as a backup.
It would seem to me that if you had a trade in mind the organizational brainstorming you would also need to develope a showcasing display. This would seem to require some playing time in actual game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would seem to me that if you had a trade in mind the organizational brainstorming you would also need to develope a showcasing display. This would seem to require some playing time in actual game.
:lol

Always comes back there for you. Hopefully Romo will get plenty of playing time in week 17 this season. Although if we have a first round bye, I'd want Dak to at least play a half of that game.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol

Always comes back there for you. Hopefully Romo will get plenty of playing time in week 17 this season. Although if we have a first round bye, I'd want Dak to at least play a half of that game.
No it's from your idea that the organization may have trade plans.

Genghis Khan

I'm not suggesting that at all about Romo's value. It's just that leverage in trades is a big deal.

Top Bottom