QB Controversy Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't agree with your assessment that he'd be lucky to play 8 games. I think this is the fundamental point of contention here: You think Romo is likely incapable of staying healthy or incapable of being effective. I think there's a good chance he can return to 2014 form. That is not a waste of resources.
He misses half this season. He misses most of last season. And health gets worse with age. What makes you think he will be a 15 to 16 game QB again?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm sure the Patriots are glad they didn't do that when the proven Bledsoe went down and Brady stepped in. I think some harm can be done in benching a young QB playing like an elite QB.
I think Romo is better than Bledsoe and Dak not as good as Brady. Brady was frankly just better at that point, the Pats through luck or insight made the right choice. I think Romo is the better QB right now. I guess after 3 games you've seen enough that you think Dak is better, I haven't.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He misses half this season. He misses most of last season. And health gets worse with age. What makes you think he will be a 15 to 16 game QB again?
Cause his injuries aren't degenerative; they should heal. Yes you get more likely to get injured as you age but that means like, for example, a 5% chance of injury to a 10% chance. It just so happens that Romo has come up snake eyes twice in a row and had some bad luck. I don't think it's more likely that he gets hurt than not.

He has a good OL protecting him and he's shown he can excel with a good running game. I want to see that again. Plenty of time to see Dak if Romo can't hack it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Romo is better than Bledsoe and Dak not as good as Brady. Brady was frankly just better at that point, the Pats through luck or insight made the right choice. I think Romo is the better QB right now. I guess after 3 games you've seen enough that you think Dak is better, I haven't.
I didn't say Dak is better. But I also don't think there is a massive gap. I think Romo is the better pure passer but Daks athletic ability has him making plays that Romo simply can't make. And it's opening things in the passing game that wouldn't be open with Romo. But if Dak's your QB going forward in future year (Which he should be for everything I've explained) I don't see the point in benching him in favor of Romo this year. IF this was Wentz and a top 4 draft pick, I don't think there would be any talk of benching him in favor of Romo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I actually just said I would not bench Romo for Wentz either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cause his injuries aren't degenerative; they should heal. Yes you get more likely to get injured as you age but that means like, for example, a 5% chance of injury to a 10% chance. It just so happens that Romo has come up snake eyes twice in a row and had some bad luck. I don't think it's more likely that he gets hurt than not.
He keeps hurting the same exact body parts. His back, collarbone and ribs. Say what you want about degenerative but he is repeatedly injuring the same parts of his body and he is missing more and more games. To me that is clearly a downhill slope at this point. Calls his bones brittle at this point. He keeps breaking them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The collarbone clearly wasn't healed.

Oh well, this is all a moot point.... Romo will get another shot as he should... if he fails or gets another season ending injury then Dak takes over. It's really that simple and for a guy that is going to the Ring of Honor who when healthy gives us the best chance to win, that's how it should be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh well, this is all a moot point.... Romo will get another shot as he should... if he fails or gets another season ending injury then Dak takes over.
If we are 4-2 or 5-1 going into the bye that's a huge mistake.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If we are 4-2 or 5-1 going into the bye that's a huge mistake.
See, then that means you think Dak is better than Romo going forward. I don't. I think Romo gives us the best chance to win if he's healthy. Doesn't matter if we are 5-1, 4-2 or 2-4. Whenever Romo is recovered I think he is the better QB, you think Dak is clearly. I just disagree.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
See, then that means you think Dak is better than Romo going forward. I don't. I think Romo gives us the best chance to win if he's healthy. Doesn't matter if we are 5-1, 4-2 or 2-4. Whenever Romo is recovered I think he is the better QB, you think Dak is clearly. I just disagree.
So hypothetically if Dak keeps posting numbers like he has while leading us to a 5-1 record you would bench him? Why would you bench what is working so flawlessly for Romo who you admittedly don't know how rusty he will be?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cause I expect Romo to knock the rust off quickly (relatively, even if it costs us a game or two) and be the best QB on the team down the stretch, thereby giving us the best chance to win in the playoffs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cause I expect Romo to knock the rust off quickly (relatively, even if it costs us a game or two) and be the best QB on the team down the stretch, thereby giving us the best chance to win in the playoffs.
Yeah I'll take the hot hand I know over the elderly QB coming off missing a season and half. Should be interesting to see what the Cowboys do if Dak keeps this up.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I'll take the hot hand I know over the elderly QB coming off missing a season and half. Should be interesting to see what the Cowboys do if Dak keeps this up.
So Dak is better in your opinion. Duly noted.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
It doesn't matter how good you are if you can't stay on the damn field.

townsend

Banned
He hasn't been "healthy" for a long time. Even in 2014 he needed Wednesdays off and played miserably with the shortened week on Thanksgiving.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He hasn't been "healthy" for a long time. Even in 2014 he needed Wednesdays off and played miserably with the shortened week on Thanksgiving.
And? I said if he gets injured again obviously Dak takes over. That possibility doesn't mean he shouldn't be starter when healthy.

Top Bottom