QB Controversy Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak Prescott on possibility of Romo starting: 'As long as we're winning, I don't care'

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott has led the team to a 4–1 start this season, but he has no issue with Tony Romo reclaiming his starting job when he returns from injury.

Prescott, a rookie, told Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel that the starter debate is "not my issue to get involved in," but he also said he doesn't mind ceding his starting role to the Cowboys' veteran quarterback, who has been nursing a back injury since preseason.

"Yeah, I want to play. But I'm at the beginning of my career. [Tony's] at the end of his," Prescott told Thamel. "As long as we're winning, I don't care."

Prescott led the Cowboys to a 28–14 victory over the Bengals on Sunday. The former Mississippi State quarterback completed 18 of 24 passes for 227 yards and a touchdown.

Romo underwent an MRI on Monday, and he reportedly could return sometime after the Cowboys' Week 7 bye at the earliest. It's unclear how long Romo will need to return to game shape.

The Cowboys play at the Packers on Sunday before their bye week.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If Dak plays well again next weekend and leads the team to a victory in Green Bay, I could see Jerry fabricating reasons to delay Romo's return. Similar excuses to what the 49ers have been using with Kaepernick. All they have to do is play the "conditioning" card.

Week 8 against the Eagles: Romo's conditioning is not there yet. We want to get this thing right this time around to avoid further injury.

Week 9 against the Browns: We lak Tony and want to do what's best long term for him and his family. Watching him move around and work in practice, relative to what we've seen in the past, it just wouldn't be prudent to rush him back out there. When he's ready we'll let y'all know.

Etc.

Cotton

Staff member
Why it'll be impossible for Jerry Jones to bench Dak Prescott for Tony Romo

By Matt Mosley , Special Contributor

Jerry Jones is having to answer questions regarding Tony Romo's status as starting quarterback on a weekly basis. The questions aren't going away because rookie quarterback Dak Prescott is performing at an All-Pro level through five games.

Jerry once again backed Romo in the wake of a stunning 28-14 win over the Bengals on Sunday. But another quote caught my attention.

"I didn't dream that I might see the best first half of football, for me, that I've seen around here in years and years and years all the way across the board, special teams, offense and defense," Jones told reporters. "I thought it was more about what we were than what Cincinnati wasn't."

Jones is mesmerized by what the next five or six years could look like with Ezekiel Elliott and Prescott. He feels a great deal of loyalty to Romo, but I don't think he has the stomach to remove Prescott from the starting lineup. He knows what other folks in the organization are already whispering: This is Prescott's team. If Jason Garrett attempts to reinsert Romo against the Eagles later this month, he might have a mutiny on his hands. One prominent member of the organization has already told me this will be a "big dilemma," as I reported in Texas Monthly last week.

Prescott's numbers are remarkable, but it's his growing stature in this locker room that will make it impossible to bench him. I know there's a theory that Romo will eventually get hurt anyway, but that's the wrong way to frame this. You can't remove one of the hottest quarterbacks in the league out of a sense of loyalty or financial commitment to Romo.

Prescott has taken full control of the quarterback room. He and Mark Sanchez have a great relationship. Romo has been helpful, but his main focus, understandably, has been his rehab. I have not found anyone in this organization who is rooting for Romo's return. He still has plenty of respect, but there's a belief that you can't go back to him now.

I think Broncos coach Gary Kubiak would've stuck with Brock Osweiler last season had he put up Dak-like numbers. He got himself benched after tossing three interceptions in one half. I'm not sure Prescott will throw that many this season.

If I secretly polled every member of the Cowboys offense right now (I think Gary Myers did this 30 years ago), I think 80 percent would lean toward Prescott. It's about the same with fans, as evidenced by this SportsDay poll.

This is a dilemma the Cowboys never anticipated when they selected Prescott in the fourth round. And it's not going away.

No need for Jerry to declare his starter yet, but when it's time, he'll go with Dak. He doesn't really have a choice at this point.

If you want to vote in the poll it is at http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/10/10/itll-impossible-jerry-jones-bench-dak-prescott-tony-romo

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Shutup Favre. As if you would ever have done that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any player who wants to bench himself is not a player I want on my roster for long. That isn't to be confused with the fact that I think Romo should embrace the backup position if that is the decision the coaches make for this season.

Cotton

Staff member
Dak Prescott says it again: 'This is Tony's team'
3:48 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas – As Tony Romo ramps up his conditioning work in his return from a compression fracture in his back, so too does the talk regarding a quarterback controversy.

On Wednesday, Dak Prescott, who is 4-1 for the Dallas Cowboys as Romo’s substitute, repeated his comment from earlier in the season.

“This is Tony’s team,” Prescott said. “I knew that going into the situation. I think everybody knew that. I’m just trying to do the best I can to give my team a chance to win week in and week out.”

Prescott has yet to have a pass intercepted in 155 attempts, a rookie record. He needs eight attempts Sunday against the Green Bay Packers to surpass Tom Brady’s NFL record for most passes without an interception to start a career.

Prescott has completed 107 of 155 passes for 1,239 yards and four touchdowns. He also has rushed for three touchdowns.

“It’s definitely not a distraction to me,” said Prescott, who added that he wants to play but will be happy if the Cowboys continue to win. “That’s not my call. It doesn’t have anything to do with me. My job is to come in here, like I say, give these guys a chance to win, get better each and every day at practice and that’s all I focus on.”

Coach Jason Garrett has answered questions relating to an impending dilemma the same way: “We’re focused on Wednesday’s practice and Dak and with everybody on our football team."

Romo’s most recent MRI on Monday showed the fracture has healed, and he is getting back to core strengthening. He has been throwing for the last couple of weeks and will do more during next week’s bye. The Nov. 6 game against the Cleveland Browns is the target date for a return.

The Romo-Prescott debate has started to kick into high gear with everybody from Brett Favre to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie weighing in.

Inside the locker room, however, there hasn’t been discussion.

“Oh, man, nobody is worrying about none of that stuff. We’re just playing football,” wide receiver Dez Bryant said. “Like I said we’re doing what we love to do. We can’t control what’s going on outside this building. Everybody wants to talk. Everybody wants to do all that, say crazy stuff, but you know people need to understand those are people just talking. You’re not hearing that from Coach Garrett or Mr. Jones or people around this building. It does not matter.”

Prescott continues to say it’s Romo’s team but not because it’s the right thing to say.

“I really don’t think these guys pay attention to that whole controversy or whatever you want to call it,” Prescott said. “We come in each and every day and we worry about the guys who are playing this week and who is in the starting lineup and the guys that have to come in and help this team win. That’s really our main focus.”

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Dak Prescott says it again: 'This is Tony's team'
3:48 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas – As Tony Romo ramps up his conditioning work in his return from a compression fracture in his back, so too does the talk regarding a quarterback controversy.

On Wednesday, Dak Prescott, who is 4-1 for the Dallas Cowboys as Romo’s substitute, repeated his comment from earlier in the season.

“This is Tony’s team,” Prescott said. “I knew that going into the situation. I think everybody knew that. I’m just trying to do the best I can to give my team a chance to win week in and week out.”

Prescott has yet to have a pass intercepted in 155 attempts, a rookie record. He needs eight attempts Sunday against the Green Bay Packers to surpass Tom Brady’s NFL record for most passes without an interception to start a career.

Prescott has completed 107 of 155 passes for 1,239 yards and four touchdowns. He also has rushed for three touchdowns.

“It’s definitely not a distraction to me,” said Prescott, who added that he wants to play but will be happy if the Cowboys continue to win. “That’s not my call. It doesn’t have anything to do with me. My job is to come in here, like I say, give these guys a chance to win, get better each and every day at practice and that’s all I focus on.”

Coach Jason Garrett has answered questions relating to an impending dilemma the same way: “We’re focused on Wednesday’s practice and Dak and with everybody on our football team."

Romo’s most recent MRI on Monday showed the fracture has healed, and he is getting back to core strengthening. He has been throwing for the last couple of weeks and will do more during next week’s bye. The Nov. 6 game against the Cleveland Browns is the target date for a return.

The Romo-Prescott debate has started to kick into high gear with everybody from Brett Favre to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie weighing in.

Inside the locker room, however, there hasn’t been discussion.

“Oh, man, nobody is worrying about none of that stuff. We’re just playing football,” wide receiver Dez Bryant said. “Like I said we’re doing what we love to do. We can’t control what’s going on outside this building. Everybody wants to talk. Everybody wants to do all that, say crazy stuff, but you know people need to understand those are people just talking. You’re not hearing that from Coach Garrett or Mr. Jones or people around this building. It does not matter.”

Prescott continues to say it’s Romo’s team but not because it’s the right thing to say.

“I really don’t think these guys pay attention to that whole controversy or whatever you want to call it,” Prescott said. “We come in each and every day and we worry about the guys who are playing this week and who is in the starting lineup and the guys that have to come in and help this team win. That’s really our main focus.”
It used to be the Philly game after the bye...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It used to be the Philly game after the bye...
It would be a real dick move to make Dak play all the tough teams and then throw Romo in for a cupcake game against the Browns. Of course if Dak continues to win I'm guessing that timeline gets pushed back.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
It would be a real dick move to make Dak play all the tough teams and then throw Romo in for a cupcake game against the Browns. Of course if Dak continues to win I'm guessing that timeline gets pushed back.
Yeah, it's a bitch move.

If Romo is supposedly so much better right now because of like 2014 and stuff then why not throw him back out to the Eagles so he can show how vastly superior he is.

Talking about setting Dak up to fail (although I fully expect him to rise to the occasion yet again).

What are we afraid of? Another Panthers type of performance from Romo?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, it's a bitch move.

If Romo is supposedly so much better right now because of like 2014 and stuff then why not throw him back out to the Eagles so he can show how vastly superior he is.

Talking about setting Dak up to fail (although I fully expect him to rise to the occasion yet again).

More Romo hate. Why.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, it's a bitch move.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
This is interesting because just about everyone in the "know" who has been following Romo's progress talks about how he is not even throwing yet, and had not been cleared to throw until after the MRI.

Last edited:

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah, it's a bitch move.

You will get a shitty Romo performance and enjoy EVERY GODDAMN MINUTE of it!!!!

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
More Romo hate. Why.
Hey, if this is Romo's team and he's so vastly superior then get his ass out there against Philly.

If he makes the team so much better as people have suggested out there then why wait to put him back in until Cleveland?

Isn't that what so many have been warning him for because he offers the best chance to win? Everyone is saying how good the Eagles are then shouldn't the best QB be out there?

You can't have it both ways.

My issue is that it's a complete bitch move to bring him back against an inferior team which completely contradicts the reason why we're going back to him in the first place.

So what it is? And if Romo is healthy after the bye week then why wait?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Actually I think it's the right move, why would you want Romo starting cold against what has been up to now one of the top D's?
Give him one more week of practice and rehab and let him get an "extra pre-season game". If he looks like warmed over dogshit much easier to go back to Dak.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is interesting because just about everyone in the "know" who has been following Romo's progress talks about how he is not even throwing yet, and had not been cleared to throw until after the MRI.
He has been throwing before games I thought? I guess it depends what you consider "throwing." Uncorking a 60 yard pass while doing a 7 step drop is different then tossing the ball 10 yards back and forth with Witten.

Top Bottom