Cowboys Release QB Kellen Moore, Sign TE Blake Jarwin Off Practice Squad

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys Release QB Kellen Moore, Sign TE Blake Jarwin Off Practice Squad
Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:54 PM CDT

By Rob Phillips
@robphillips3

FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys on Thursday released backup quarterback Kellen Moore and signed tight end Blake Jarwin from their practice squad.
With two kickers currently on the 53-man roster -- Mike Nugent was signed Tuesday to fill in for injured starter Dan Bailey this week – the Cowboys decided to go lighter at quarterback in order to get Jarwin, an undrafted rookie out of Oklahoma State, onto the roster.

In September the Cowboys released Moore, who is practice-squad eligible, at final cuts and re-signed him to the 53-man roster the following week after placing tight end Rico Gathers on the Reserve/Injured list.

Moore’s release this week comes four days after Cooper Rush took over No. 2 quarterback duties behind starter Dak Prescott in last Sunday’s 40-10 win over the 49ers. Rush played the final two drives and completed 1 of 2 passes for 2 yards.

Moore, who entered training camp as the Prescott’s primary backup, was inactive against San Francisco. He has not taken an offensive snap in the regular season this year, and he missed all of last season due to a fractured fibula.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that was a bit unexpected. I guess you can never have too many TE's...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Somebody must have an injury we dont know about yet.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I think they just messed up earlier and cut the wrong Moore, they tried to play it cool by waiting a couple days.....

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Somebody must have an injury we dont know about yet.
Yeah none have been listed on the injury report that I know of. Plus how much longer until Rico is ready to come off IR?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I assumed they were just stashing him. Must have been a hell of a concussion.
Yeah I don't know how the IR rules work anymore but if Rico isn't playing football he isn't going to get any better. So I don't see the point of shelving him all season long. Might as well just cut him if you're not going to develop him.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah I don't know how the IR rules work anymore but if Rico isn't playing football he isn't going to get any better. So I don't see the point of shelving him all season long. Might as well just cut him if you're not going to develop him.
You can still develop him with coaching etc. He's too good to make it to the PS but too raw to play. I guess...

However, the way they talk it seems like he's still fighting the effects of the concussion. or it's a smokescreen...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can still develop him with coaching etc. He's too good to make it to the PS but too raw to play. I guess...

However, the way they talk it seems like he's still fighting the effects of the concussion. or it's a smokescreen...
I guess Rico wouldn't be eligible to return until after week 8 anyway.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well it was a case of the Eagles wanting to sign him off our practice squad so we brought him up.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well it was a case of the Eagles wanting to sign him off our practice squad so we brought him up.
That is saying a lot with them already having Ertz.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that makes more sense at least.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Moore needed to go regardless.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moore needed to go regardless.
That I think most of us can agree on. We can still pay him to be on the practice squad and we will need the roster spot if Gathers concussions ever get right and if they don't maybe the new TE is decent if other teams want him.

Or shit just pay Moore to be an assistant QB coach if we only want him around for his brain. I doubt any other NFL teams are looking to sign him.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'm sure they're exploring all options to bring him back. They can't help themselves.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interesting they felt compelled to do something drastic like cutting Linehan's butt boy to sign Jarwin.

He played pretty decent in preseason and I guess it is good they hung onto him, but they must really really like him to dump Moore.

It basically means Moore was fired and gets a huge paycut to come back.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Well... the Cowboys now have no moore to be released.

:tippytoe

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That I think most of us can agree on. We can still pay him to be on the practice squad and we will need the roster spot if Gathers concussions ever get right and if they don't maybe the new TE is decent if other teams want him.

Or shit just pay Moore to be an assistant QB coach if we only want him around for his brain. I doubt any other NFL teams are looking to sign him.
Yep Moore just needs to accept he is not even NFL backup qb talent and turn to coaching, surely Linehan has talked to him about it. On the positive side we may finally get rid of Wade Wilson

Top Bottom