Hairopoulos: Run game has reinvigorated Cowboys' offense, but so has this aspect of Dak Prescott's game

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Run game has reinvigorated Cowboys' offense, but so has this aspect of Dak Prescott's game
By Kate Hairopoulos , Staff Writer

FRISCO -- Dak Prescott wore a special hoodie in the Cowboys' locker room during his regular interview session Wednesday.

A gift from DeMarcus "Tank" Lawrence, it featured the defensive end who ranks No. 2 in the NFL in sacks. Lawrence is driving a tank, closing in on opposing NFC East quarterbacks under the words "Tank is coming for you."

"Anything for teammates," said Prescott, who is known to shill quite a few products these days. "I'm just glad I'm not on the shirt."

But as Dallas re-enters division play Sunday at Washington, the Redskins will certainly try to come for Prescott and stop a Cowboys' offense that's been rolling of late, in no small part because of the second-year quarterback.

Prescott has passed for three touchdowns in each of the last three games and added a running touchdown in each of the last two.

The offense had three rushing touchdowns and three passing touchdowns in last Sunday's blowout of winless San Francisco, the first time a Cowboys team recorded just that balance since 1980. The Cowboys have scored touchdowns on 14 of their last 17 trips to the red zone -- 14 of 15 with the first-team offense.

While a focus for Dallas (3-3) has been on the Cowboys imposing their will physically and re-establishing the run game and star back Ezekiel Elliott, Prescott's continued poise and efficient playmaking have been just as crucial as they try to climb above their .500 record after an up-and-down start.

"I wouldn't say all cylinders," Prescott said of the offense's level of play. "We are definitely going the direction we want to go. We are playing up to our standards and expectations of the way we expect to move the ball, the way we expect to get points. And it's been going well.

"It's hard to say there is one thing that has changed. If anything, we have continued to keep faith and keep confidence in ourselves and continue with the same game plan we have been doing early in the season. We are getting into a groove."

Prescott, of course, turned in one of the best rookie seasons by a quarterback in NFL history last season when Dallas went 13-3, so he balks at questions about if he's earned the ability to make more calls in the offense or more fully run the offense. But he allows that he's progressed.

"I mean, freedom, limitations, I don't know about those words," Prescott said. "I'm definitely more comfortable. And that just comes from a year of experience, a year of seeing defenses, studying film, a year with these guys, and it just comes from being more comfortable and getting those reps."

The red zone success is an example. The Cowboys have scored touchdowns on 66.7 percent of their trips to the 20-yard-line or better this season and 93 percent of them over the last four games, not including the final two possessions of demolishing the 49ers.

All three of Prescott's rushing touchdowns have come in red-zone situations, as have 10 of his 14 touchdown passes.

"He is a good decision-maker," coach Jason Garrett said. "He's got a great feel for the game. He's got a great feel for what we're trying to do offensively. He has made really good decisions down there. I think the ability to run the football is critical. Hopefully that creates some favorable looks for you, some matchups outside and being able to attack the defensive line in a lot of different ways."

Prescott said the fact the Cowboys have been able to make passing plays in the tighter windows of the red zone, plus his and Elliott's running ability has helped keep defenses guessing.

"It's not just me running," he said. "It's a bunch of different aspects. You name those guys we got at receiver down in the red zone that are hard to cover 15 yards and in. And then you got the run game, when you add my run to the read as well. It's just tough."

The Cowboys could need to execute in the red zone even more now with Pro Bowl kicker Dan Bailey out with a groin injury. Plus, it remains to be seen if the defense is up for the challenge of Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins and Co. on Sunday.

NFC East games are always heightened, especially with Dallas and Washington each holding 3-3 records and Philadelphia starting to run away with the division at 6-1.

"We feel a confidence all over the field," Prescott said. "When we go out there, that comes through the week from us preparing. Everyone is doing their own job. We know it works. When we get in the red zone, we just step it up a notch and know the importance of getting points there."

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The offense had three rushing touchdowns and three passing touchdowns in last Sunday's blowout of winless San Francisco, the first time a Cowboys team recorded just that balance since 1980. The Cowboys have scored touchdowns on 14 of their last 17 trips to the red zone -- 14 of 15 with the first-team offense.
That is outstanding.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
One aspect of the offense that I'm still not satisfied with is the involvement of our receivers not named Dez and Witten.

I haven't looked at the numbers yet but it feels like the trio of Williams, Beasely, and Butler haven't had a hand in the offense as much as last season. This offense could be scary good if we could get consistent play from one of those other receivers.

The reason I bring this topic up is because we're going to need a 3rd or 4th receiver to step up if we're going to beat the better teams in the league. Good defenses will be able to contain Dez and Witten so it will be incumbent upon that trio to pick up that slack.

Butler has shown flashes but he doesn't get as many looks. Not sure what's happened with Beasely. I don't have access to All 22 so I can only speculate that defenses are doing a better job taking away underneath routes, which is pretty much the only area of the field where he makes his money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I hope Dak can continue at the recent production. It would be a good anchor for the ship.

Top Bottom