User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irving discusses symptoms of concussion

I played football up through the age of 18. I can honestly say the only time I had a bad concussion was from riding a dirt bike. But we were also taught proper tackling techniques in highschool. And I didn't play tackle until then (We only did flag at school prior to freshman year). I have no reservations about having a child play football. Of course I need to have a child first.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I played football up through the age of 18. I can honestly say the only time I had a bad concussion was from riding a dirt bike. But we were also taught proper tackling techniques in highschool. And I didn't play tackle until then (We only did flag at school prior to freshman year). I have no reservations about having a child play football. Of course I need to have a child first.
    Was the tackling technique you were taught not to get the head into anything rather Keith to th side and wrap up the opponent and lift? If the wrap up was above the waist either take them down or hang on until help arrived.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    Was the tackling technique you were taught not to get the head into anything rather Keith to th side and wrap up the opponent and lift? If the wrap up was above the waist either take them down or hang on until help arrived.
    Safe tackling is very much harped on now at the high school level. Rarely do you see coaches trying to get kids to ear hole guys these days. 10-15 years ago that wasn't the case. I honestly feel bad about how the encouragement to knock players out was celebrated.

Now we teach safe tackling daily. I mean, I never told a kid to knock another kid out but it was probably implied.

Yeah we were harped on that we needed to keep our heads up, get your head out in front of the guy and wrap up.

Old school football, 30-40 years ago, was facemask to the chest. That's how tackling was taught. Nobody does that anymore. It is head across the bow, wrap and drive. The Seahawk tackling technique is really popular at the moment. That is more like a rugby style where you aim at the opposite hip and roll/drive. What is different about this is that you aim for the free hip instead of across the bow. It is awkward to teach for kids who have been trying to position themselves across the opposite player their whole lives.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    I came in here to post something, but can't for the life of me remember what it was.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

No one really reads your posts anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    Old school football, 30-40 years ago, was facemask to the chest. That's how tackling was taught. Nobody does that anymore. It is head across the bow, wrap and drive. The Seahawk tackling technique is really popular at the moment. That is more like a rugby style where you aim at the opposite hip and roll/drive. What is different about this is that you aim for the free hip instead of across the bow. It is awkward to teach for kids who have been trying to position themselves across the opposite player their whole lives.
    Real old school didn’t have face masks.
    Since Day One

9. The following user likes this post:

This answers a lot of questions I have wondered about. In my day The tackeling technique was taught as much as a way to protect the tackler by not using the helmet as well as how to execute properly the take down bykeeping the head from making contact at all.

I don’t really know when the ideaology of throwing yourself at the runner with just the shoulder or aiming helmet to helmet started but it is a very dangerous theory for players on both sides of the ball. You see few arm and shoulder tackling these days.
    That's why I advocate going back to the leather helmets you used, hard helmets are not being used as protection, but rather as a weapon.
    @Rev supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Angrymesscan View Post
    That's why I advocate going back to the leather helmets you used, hard helmets are not being used as protection, but rather as a weapon.
    Sarcasm noted.
    Since Day One