2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If that were the case, there would have been major movement across the board to dump incumbent Senators and Congressmen. But there wasn't. People voted to keep all the "swamp" together outside of the head of it.

So basically, it was the hillbilly vote just wanting Trump in.
This.

And it's the reason nothing will really change.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think it's going to be hard, because both sides "read between the lines." I was watching The View while waiting for the concession speech, and Whoopi Goldberg said, regarding Van Jones' "whitelash," that it doesn't matter that there had to be a lot of crossover between Obama and Trump voters. Black people know what's underneath all this.

What does somebody say to that?
What does that even mean? That how black people vote doesn't matter? I'm seriously asking.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Every election year, there seem to be people crying about the election results. Who are these people? Are they relatives of the candidate?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think it's going to be hard, because both sides "read between the lines." I was watching The View while waiting for the concession speech, and Whoopi Goldberg said, regarding Van Jones' "whitelash," that it doesn't matter that there had to be a lot of crossover between Obama and Trump voters. Black people know what's underneath all this.

What does somebody say to that?
Well 1st off admit it.

Trump got off the elevator throwing bombs, his campaign manager is from the king of race baiting websites.

I am not saying Race is the only reason Trump won or even most of the reason but he definitely used it a tool.

And this not even about the party it's about Trump, the party can address those issues that crossover but undercurrent Trump relied on is going to have to be addressed.

Because this will not work in 4 years and it might be addressed in the next mid term.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Can we start with the open and honest conversation on Race?

Because Trump was doing a whole lot of race baiting which used to be a big no no around here.
Legit point. Although I don't have the time or energy to go there. Hopefully some reasonable responses will come from somewhere. I really want racial healing to start because this is getting ridiculous.

Cotton

Staff member
Well 1st off admit it.

Trump got off the elevator throwing bombs, his campaign manager is from the king of race baiting websites.

I am not saying Race is the only reason Trump won or even most of the reason but he definitely used it a tool.

And this not even about the party it's about Trump, the party can address those issues that crossover but undercurrent Trump relied on is going to have to be addressed.

Because this will not work in 4 years and it might be addressed in the next mid term.
Thanks for the clear and concise explanation. :unsure

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well 1st off admit it.

Race has been used by both parties in elections for many many years.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If that were the case, there would have been major movement across the board to dump incumbent Senators and Congressmen. But there wasn't. People voted to keep all the "swamp" together outside of the head of it.

So basically, it was the hillbilly vote just wanting Trump in.
You are so full of shit. That statement proves it with your elitist attitude. The party was needed in the congress for a majority for Trump to be able to implement the things the movement is looking for.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Anyone wonder if the reason Hillary didn't give a concession speech last night was because they didn't prepare one? Maybe they were a little too overconfident in a win? Just a thought.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Did anyone see the quote from John Ehrlichman, former Nixon aide, talking about why the war on drugs was created?

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people," former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman told Harper's writer Dan Baum for the April cover story published Tuesday. "You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

I mean, if you don't think both parties do this you're crazy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Anyone wonder if the reason Hillary didn't give a concession speech last night was because they didn't prepare one? Maybe they were a little too overconfident in a win? Just a thought.
I don't think it is completely out of the realm of possibility, but I would like to think that a half-decent campaign manager would have all of their bases covered.

I think it has more to do with the shock of losing. No one expected it to go down the way it did, especially not her camp.

I think most entertained the idea that Trump could win, even if they didn't think he would win. But what practically no one saw coming was him winning by the significant margin that he did.

She wasn't prepared for that and my guess is that she couldn't get over the shock and compose herself enough to do the speech.

It's a chickenshit way out, but that's how I think it went down.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Did anyone see the quote from John Ehrlichman, former Nixon aide, talking about why the war on drugs was created?

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people," former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman told Harper's writer Dan Baum for the April cover story published Tuesday. "You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

I mean, if you don't think both parties do this you're crazy.
Eh, Nixon was a great friend of MLK Jr. and, but for the political misstep in 1960 of not making a big show of calling him when he was released from jail, would have had black support over JFK.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Eh, Nixon was a great friend of MLK Jr. and, but for the political misstep in 1960 of not making a big show of calling him when he was released from jail, would have had black support over JFK.
That's fine but politics is dirty business. To say that race or any other topic isn't used to influence is naive IMO.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Between Trump flipping so many blue states and the republicans sweeping congress, you're kidding yourself if you don't think this was a referendum on democrat policies and the failure of the past 8 years.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What's with the lunatics rioting over the election?

They should be mad at their own party for pushing such a toxic and polarizing candidate to the forefront. Which is why I voted for Bernie Sanders. He's not a sexy choice and I don't agree with some of his ideology, but he has far less blood on his hands than Hillary.

Like I've been telling my friends for months, a ho-hum ticket of Sanders and Kaine probably wins this election rather comfortably. Instead, you had Clinton in a tooth and nail dogfight with a guy that even John Kerry probably would have thumped.

Dems learned a hard lesson last night. You can't just throw a person with warts like Clinton out there and assume that money and the media will secure a win.
Same thing the other way. Romney or McCain probably beats Sanders or Clinton by double digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom