Report: Randy Gregory failed drug test, faces lengthy ban

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's the old school, weed is a gateway drug mentality. The NFL is hurting themselves with these out dated policies.
Well that's exactly what I am saying. They do not want to be percieved as promoting pot. It may be outdated but there is a large segment of the football fan kingdom who have and continue to support this position. I believe I am more in touch with this segment than some of you. There is little point in debating the issue. It is one of those things that when the audience evolves to a different position then the league will take a different stance. It will happen but it may rake a while.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well that's exactly what I am saying. They do not want to be percieved as promoting pot. It may be outdated but there is a large segment of the football fan kingdom who have and continue to support this position. I believe I am more in touch with this segment than some of you. There is little point in debating the issue. It is one of those things that when the audience evolves to a different position then the league will take a different stance. It will happen but it may rake a while.
Its not that large a segment.

2233boys

Not So New Member
That is the likely case because the League probably doesn't want to be perceived as promoting pot. There is still a very substantial number of fans who have an opposing view about legalized marajuana. Until or if such a time comes that it no longer remains a contraversal item they may reverse their position. Too many of the owners are not willing to promote a change at this time.
It's not controversial. It's a stupid law, meant to prop drug companies and timber companies. It's all political.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I have heard this "there is little point in debating the issue" type of statement from you quite a bit. This is a message board, LT. Debating and discussing issues is kind of what people do. I am not sure why you feel the need to take this position. If you don't want to debate it then you can stay out of it.

Besides that, this is something that is being discussed more and more in the media and by current and former players. It isn't just message board fodder. More and more states are legalizing and decriminalizing the possession and use of marijuana. Societies' views are rapidly changing and the NFL is going to change with them, probably sooner than you might think. It is a topical issue so I think you are off base saying that it isn't worth debating or discussing.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have heard this "there is little point in debating the issue" type of statement from you quite a bit. This is a message board, LT. Debating and discussing issues is kind of what people do. I am not sure why you feel the need to take this position. If you don't want to debate it then you can stay out of it.

Besides that, this is something that is being discussed more and more in the media and by current and former players. It isn't just message board fodder. More and more states are legalizing and decriminalizing the possession and use of marijuana. Societies' views are rapidly changing and the NFL is going to change with them, probably sooner than you might think. It is a topical issue so I think you are off base saying that it isn't worth debating or discussing.
When I try to curtail someone the you can get on you high horse. I am giving an opinion as well. When I say there is little point in debating the issue that's an opinion I have. If I say you cannot discuss it further then tell me to go to hell but at this juncture my opinion is just that. In addition my position on why I think the league is acting as they are is an opinion.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
When I try to curtail someone the you can get on you high horse. I am giving an opinion as well. When I say there is little point in debating the issue that's an opinion I have. If I say you cannot discuss it further then tell me to go to hell but at this juncture my opinion is just that.
OK, well my opinion is that it is pointless to tell people that their discussion is pointless, particularly when it is a fan forum for an NFL team and it is a legit topic of discussion related to the NFL. And please do not talk to me about high horses. Your ass is as firmly entrenched in the saddle of your moral high horse as anyone else on this board.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
OK, well my opinion is that it is pointless to tell people that their discussion is pointless, particularly when it is a fan forum for an NFL team and it is a legit topic of discussion related to the NFL. And please do not talk to me about high horses. Your ass is as firmly entrenched in the saddle of your moral high horse as anyone else on this board.
Feel better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Your opinion is pointless, E_D. Get over yourself. Sheesh.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I kind of miss the old "wait and see" version of L.T. Fan.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Randy Gregory expected at Cowboys practice Wednesday
Posted by Josh Alper on December 6, 2016, 2:53 PM EST

Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory is serving the second of the two suspensions the league enacted this year and may have a third coming his way after reportedly failing a drug test, but that hasn’t caused the team to wash their hands of him once and for all.

As a result, it appears that they’ll have him at Wednesday’s practice. Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com reported on Tuesday that Gregory is eligible to return to practice this week, which is two weeks ahead of when he’d be eligible to play at the end of his combined 14-game suspension, and the Cowboys have confirmed that they expect to have him at the team’s facility.

Gregory would be eligible to play in Week 16, although that date may shift if the aforementioned failed drug test results in a suspension that would keep Gregory off the field for at least another year. Breer reports that it’s under appeal, so, for now, Gregory is able to move forward with the team.

In ideal circumstances, Gregory would return to give the Cowboys another piece to use on defense. With so little about Gregory’s NFL career qualifying as ideal, it’s unlikely anyone is planning on that actually happening.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Holy shit...anything to help the pass rush.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy Gregory expected at Cowboys practice Wednesday
Posted by Josh Alper on December 6, 2016, 2:53 PM EST

Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory is serving the second of the two suspensions the league enacted this year and may have a third coming his way after reportedly failing a drug test, but that hasn’t caused the team to wash their hands of him once and for all.

As a result, it appears that they’ll have him at Wednesday’s practice. Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com reported on Tuesday that Gregory is eligible to return to practice this week, which is two weeks ahead of when he’d be eligible to play at the end of his combined 14-game suspension, and the Cowboys have confirmed that they expect to have him at the team’s facility.

Gregory would be eligible to play in Week 16, although that date may shift if the aforementioned failed drug test results in a suspension that would keep Gregory off the field for at least another year. Breer reports that it’s under appeal, so, for now, Gregory is able to move forward with the team.

In ideal circumstances, Gregory would return to give the Cowboys another piece to use on defense. With so little about Gregory’s NFL career qualifying as ideal, it’s unlikely anyone is planning on that actually happening.
It's so weird that an appeal is already pending on a suspension that was not handed down yet. I have no hope for Gregory this season but it would be a pleasant surprise if he somehow managed to come back and have an impact in the playoffs.

By the way, I don't think the team or NFL has ever confirmed a third failed test for Gregory. It was one of those "source" things.

The NFL issued a statement Friday saying, “The league has not been notified of any new violations." Another source said the club had not been contacted by the league to inform them that Gregory failed a test earlier this week.

"We're unable, unfortunately, to comment on it," executive vice president Stephen Jones said Friday afternoon on 105.3 The Fan. "No one is supposed to be able to, but I guess some people do even though they are not supposed to. Obviously those things, until they are officially worked through, all the different moving parts that go with that, we can't comment on that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom