Charles Haley on Randy Gregory: 'I'm done', 'eff it'

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Charles Haley doesn't like Randy Gregory, and he's not going to 'baby' the troubled pass rusher.

Notoriously famous for never biting his tongue, the Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame pass rusher is officially done trying to motivate Gregory to do what he needs to do to return to football. Haley has certainly seen his own set of challenges in his storied career, and the team thought he'd be able to mentor Gregory better than most.

That mission has failed, and seemingly not due to lack of effort by the Cowboys legend.

"I come out there to help him [Gregory], and he tells people he wants to fight me. So I'm done," Haley said, via Dallas Morning News. "I'm a guy who's been through what he's been through. And I tried to tell the kid, 'okay you don't have to do this for long. Call me. You can come live with me.' But you know what? You're going to do A, B, and C [if you're living with me]. But he don't want to do it, so eff it."
Offering to let a player who has failed five separate NFL drug tests and who is currently serving a 14-game suspension is more than an olive branch. It's the entire grove.

But it's becoming more evident Gregory has other things in mind, and being accountable isn't one of them.

"He's gotta take responsibility for his actions," Haley continued. "You know what, you messed up once, okay. You mess up twice, you know you've got a problem. When you do it three and four times, man, how can you help him? He's got to want it himself."

The five-time Super Bowl champion went on to lament the way the franchise is coddling the second-year Gregory.

"Jerry and them baby him by putting somebody in that house with him," Haley said. "They never made him be responsible for himself. Maybe the best thing for him is to be free. Because you know what? At the end of the day, at the end of the year, you know Jerry and them ain't going to keep him around, so I don't understand."

Jones may disagree here, however, as he stated he will not give up on Gregory in life or as a potential future piece of the Cowboys. "He's our baby," said Jones, via his weekly segment on 105.3FM The Fan. "He may be an ugly baby, but he's our baby."

Haley doesn't see a baby in Gregory, though. He sees a grown man who continues to make the wrong choices which could indicate a much bigger problem "How do you throw that kind of money away? There's got to be some deep-rooted problem with the kid," Haley said.
---------------
Haley's right. If Gregory doesn't want to grow up and take responsibility, then he has nobody but himself to blame. He's had the help and support. If they continue to baby him, he'll continue to be a baby.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, this fool just needs to be shown the door.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry is an enabler. I don't think he is doing Gregory any favors in his personal life at this point.

data

Forbes #1
okay...okay...okay.................forget 2018, another year is in order. 2019 NFL Draft is gonna be amazing.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jerry is the new Father Flanagan. There's no wayward kid he can't turn around.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Jerry is an enabler. I don't think he is doing Gregory any favors in his personal life at this point.
Sometimes the best help you can give someone is completely cutting them off and throwing them out on their ass.

The reality that their safety net is gone is the eye opener that some people need. I think Gregory fits into that group.

Show him the door and a year or two from now if he's shown that he's got his act together give him a tryout to see if he's still able to play.

I wouldn't even worry about some other team swooping in the sign him. With all his baggage I'm pretty confident that he'll go unclaimed for that year or two. Especially since we've seen how the Josh Gordon situation has played out in Cleveland.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes the best help you can give someone is completely cutting them off and throwing them out on their ass.

The reality that their safety net is gone is the eye opener that some people need. I think Gregory fits into that group.

Show him the door and a year or two from now if he's shown that he's got his act together give him a tryout to see if he's still able to play.

I wouldn't even worry about some other team swooping in the sign him. With all his baggage I'm pretty confident that he'll go unclaimed for that year or two. Especially since we've seen how the Josh Gordon situation has played out in Cleveland.
This is pretty much how I feel. And if another NFL team comes in and swoops him up then oh well. Because what we are doing right now is not helping him turn things around. I don't think holding onto Gregory right now is hurting Dallas at all. But I think it's sort of allowing him to continue to screw up knowing that the Cowboys will still be there for him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This makes no sense we had an amazing draft in 2016.
He's making fun of the people who say that when a draft pick returns from injury (or suspension in this case) it's like an extra first the year he comes back.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You know it's bad when Haley says fuckit. The one who pissed a fellow teammate's car once.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You know it's bad when Haley says fuckit. The one who pissed a fellow teammate's car once.
-At a team meeting, Haley got the attention of Scott Case and when Case looked over at Haley he was faced with “Haley’s erect penis stretched across the desk.”

-“Haley would stroll up to an unsuspecting (49er) teammate, whip out his phallus, and repeatedly stroke it in his face. Players initially laughed it off…”

-Haley, ever the prankster, cut a hole in the roof of teammate Tim Harris’ car, got on top, and pissed inside.

-Haley, on his way from the bathroom to a team meeting, pulled down his pants, wiped his ass, and then threw his shit-stained toilet paper at 49ers coach John Marshall.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerrah might be gambling on pot being excluded from the NFLs banned substance list.

That might end Gregory's current suspension immediately and would prevent future ones.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerrah might be gambling on pot being excluded from the NFLs banned substance list.

That might end Gregory's current suspension immediately and would prevent future ones.
Well to be fair Jerry would know something like that coming far before any of us. But seems like pure speculation at this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like most of what we do on this site?
Well, I think there is usually some indication of something to base the speculation off of. I guess you could say that not cutting him is your indication. I hope you're right.

Top Bottom