QB Controversy Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And some of you make it seem like Romo's actually won something. So what's your point?
Seriously. How could he NOT win with the stellar coaching staff, front office and defenses we've given him?

Genghis Khan

I don't think it's fair to shit on Romo's legacy, I think he led bad teams to win games by force of will, and was handicapped by a horrible coaching staff. This team got it's first playoff wins in over a decade with Romo. He won us our first division championship since 1998. He was a winning QB on teams that would probably have looked like the cluster fuck in 2015 without him.

The "what has he won." line show's a heinous misunderstanding of what it takes to win a championship in this league. There's a reason Peyton Manning, the king of the early playoff exit, finally won another Super Bowl as a shell of himself. Because he worked as a cog in a well designed team.

2014 was Romo's shot to play in a conference championship (although the goal posts would have been immediately moved if he had) he played damn near flawless football for all of December and January, you can't say he didn't play well enough to get to the next level of the playoffs. The defense folded, Demarco fumbled, Dez got screwed on a call.

The reason I don't want to hand it back to Romo is because this isn't the 2015 Broncos, he's not 2014 Romo, and even if he played his balls off, the team wouldn't get further than it did in 2014. He has maxed out his potential. Bravo, take a bow, thanks for the memories. At this point he's a progress stopper and even if he's as good or even better than Dak still, the improvement caused by forcing him into the lineup wouldn't be nearly as beneficial as setting Dak up as a future starter.
Jesus Christ, THANK YOU.

I don't think you're last point has been proven yet, and I think Romo's earned the right to lose the job on the field so to speak. But your perspective on Romo is exactly right.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think it's a given that we can't go farther this year with Romo than we did in 2014, either. We were one bad call or one Demarco Murray fumble or one efensive turnover away from the championship game.

D

Deuce

Because regardless of what you say, when healthy, Romo gives us a better chance until he proves otherwise.
You keep saying that, but what if we get the "otherwise"?

What if Romo doesn't get hurt, but also isn't too old and broken down to go back to pimp mode? If he looks like a 36 year old gunslinger, we will start losing games. And no, Garrett won't bench him no matter how bad he is.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I know we will, everyone did. Romo is too close to this staff and front office to have his job "stolen".

Im just dreading the inevitable barn burner game where he throws 3 INTs to hurt us and take yet another chance at achieving the ultimate goal. Especially when the guy watching on the sidelines seems to be this playmaker who is also safe and efficient.
It will be interesting to see how Romo reacts once he gets on the field.

He sees how well Dak has been managing this offense, and Tony has really never had any kind of pressure on him from a capable backup.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

What if Romo doesn't get hurt, but also isn't too old and broken down to go back to pimp mode? If he looks like a 36 year old gunslinger, we will start losing games. And no, Garrett won't bench him no matter how bad he is.
There is a much bigger chance that Garrett benches him for poor performance than letting him lose his job because of injury.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jesus Christ, yes he's had 10 years and proven quite a bit in that time. He was a god damn mvp candidate two years ago and only Aaron Rodgers outplayed him.

Are you serious?
~glances at username~

Yes. Yes he is.

:unsure

D

Deuce

There is a much bigger chance that Garrett benches him for poor performance than letting him lose his job because of injury.
I think the chances of both are 0. Romo could absolutely suck it up for multiple games upon his return and Garrett will look for positives and tell us how coming back from injury and missing so much time is a process. My only question is whether Romo retires, is traded or cut after the season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Losing his job to injury is 0%.

It might take a while but if Romo loses three straight, or four straight, whatever, they'll go back to Dak.

That chance is something above zero.

dallen

Senior Tech
...and what's with this 'off day' thing?
No kidding. 23 for 32 for 245 and two passing touchdowns 0 turnovers and a 114.7 passer rating isn't an off day. He played very well yesterday outside of the first couple drives.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Romo will have a shorter leash now since there is a proven replacement. I think Jones won't hesitate to use a salary negation with Romo if he can't cut it. He will use it to do a longer term deal with Prescott. Jones has not had a solid ace in the hole before at QB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And then Dak comes back. BFD.

So again why not give the veteran a chance to prove himself?
Because there is a chance we lose some games that are essential to making the playoffs with Romo in there. That's what the BFD is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because there is a chance we lose some games that are essential to making the playoffs with Romo in there. That's what the BFD is.
Exactly, we aren't a good enough team where we can throw away a couple wins and expect to make the playoffs.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think it's fair to shit on Romo's legacy, I think he led bad teams to win games by force of will, and was handicapped by a horrible coaching staff. This team got it's first playoff wins in over a decade with Romo. He won us our first division championship since 1998. He was a winning QB on teams that would probably have looked like the cluster fuck in 2015 without him.

The "what has he won." line show's a heinous misunderstanding of what it takes to win a championship in this league. There's a reason Peyton Manning, the king of the early playoff exit, finally won another Super Bowl as a shell of himself. Because he worked as a cog in a well designed team.

2014 was Romo's shot to play in a conference championship (although the goal posts would have been immediately moved if he had) he played damn near flawless football for all of December and January, you can't say he didn't play well enough to get to the next level of the playoffs. The defense folded, Demarco fumbled, Dez got screwed on a call.

The reason I don't want to hand it back to Romo is because this isn't the 2015 Broncos, he's not 2014 Romo, and even if he played his balls off, the team wouldn't get further than it did in 2014. He has maxed out his potential. Bravo, take a bow, thanks for the memories. At this point he's a progress stopper and even if he's as good or even better than Dak still, the improvement caused by forcing him into the lineup wouldn't be nearly as beneficial as setting Dak up as a future starter.
Well said. I agree completely.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I will say that yesterday Dak looked like a rookie a couple times. He missed some throws and was late getting the ball out. I found it interesting when Witten came over and either helped him change the play or the protection. Now having said that, he was still really good.

If you would have asked me before game 1 of this season, I would have said it is a no-brainer that Romo gets his job back. Now, I'm not so sure. There is an energy this team is playing with right now and Dak is a big part of it. Personally, I don't want them to change QBs now.

Cotton

Staff member
Losing his job to injury is 0%.

It might take a while but if Romo loses three straight, or four straight, whatever, they'll go back to Dak.

That chance is something above zero.
But, that's my fear. We lose 3-4 straight and we are out of playoff contention. All just to see if Romo "still has it"? I think that would be monumentally short-sighted with how well Dak has been playing. Let him sit the year out and see how he responds in the offseason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you would have asked me before game 1 of this season, I would have said it is a no-brainer that Romo gets his job back. Now, I'm not so sure. There is an energy this team is playing with right now and Dak is a big part of it. Personally, I don't want them to change QBs now.
This is how I feel right now as well. There are still two games left to sort of sway me one direction or the other. At the start of the season my thought was hopefully Dak can get us to survive to 3-3 with Romo taking over. If we drop the next two games I probably go with Romo. If we win the next two games I stick with Dak. Right now Dak has built a great resume to make the argument to stick with him. That's subject to change though.

Cotton

Staff member
I will say that yesterday Dak looked like a rookie a couple times. He missed some throws and was late getting the ball out. I found it interesting when Witten came over and either helped him change the play or the protection. Now having said that, he was still really good.

He absolutely made some mistakes early in the game. Getting the ball out late was the worst of them. But, if that's the worst my rookie QB does, I will take it. He never let it get to him, and brought us back a W. Very impressive.

Genghis Khan

But that's a different argument. If Romo goes back in and shits the bed, he should be replaced. And Garrett would be wrong if he doesn't do so.

But that's different than saying Romo shouldn't be allowed back in at all, before he even has a chance to show whether he still has it.

Top Bottom