Sturm: No fluke! These Cowboys have opponents looking as flustered as they were during 'Triplets' era

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I want Atlanta in a shoot out.

Would possibly fly out for that one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless we have a 2 score lead with under 3 minutes to play in the game, I'd like to see us dump the 3 man pass rush. Those are completely ineffective.

As for the rest of the game, I'm fine with the 4 man rushes but would like to see them dial up a few more blitzes to keep teams off balance.

Unfortunately it looks like the best we can hope for is what we saw during the first half of the Redskins game. Which is we give up tons of yards and allow teams to methodically march down the field.....once they hit the redzone we just have to hope our defense stiffens up and holds them to FGs.
Yeah the 3 man rush should be used as sort of a surprise. Not as a base defense is passing situations. Just like you shouldn't rush 5 or 6 on every play because it becomes predictable, you shouldn't rush only 3 on every third and long either because that becomes extremely predictable.

Unfortunately as this year has progressed we have become more and more comfortable running 3 man rushes. It's very odd really. I'm hoping that's just a result of how thin we are at DB and not just some sort of a new philosophy out of our team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm probably in the minority but I think the three man rush has been pretty effective at times for us. I'd love to see the breakdown but I don't mind it.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I think it was very effective vs GB and they just stuck with it although not as succesfull.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm probably in the minority but I think the three man rush has been pretty effective at times for us. I'd love to see the breakdown but I don't mind it.
Sturm's breakdown should be coming today or tomorrow, so maybe he will have something in his article about it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Nvm, it looks like Sturm is doing Linehan today. So, probably tomorrow on the defense.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Unless we have a 2 score lead with under 3 minutes to play in the game, I'd like to see us dump the 3 man pass rush. Those are completely ineffective.

As for the rest of the game, I'm fine with the 4 man rushes but would like to see them dial up a few more blitzes to keep teams off balance.

Unfortunately it looks like the best we can hope for is what we saw during the first half of the Redskins game. Which is we give up tons of yards and allow teams to methodically march down the field.....once they hit the redzone we just have to hope our defense stiffens up and holds them to FGs.
I agree...but if memory serves me correctly, when Cousins is hit and hurried, he tends to throw a bunch of INT's, or becomes erratic with his throws.

He basically had all the time in the world in the pocket against us, except for maybe 6-7 minutes of the first quarter. And yes, ditch that dumbass 3 man rush and get 4 guys trying to get to the QB. The 3 man rush doesn't work, period.

I just cringe when I see a QB have all day in the pocket against us.

Its just not a good recipe for getting to the SB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree...but if memory serves me correctly, when Cousins is hit and hurried, he tends to throw a bunch of INT's, or becomes erratic with his throws.

He basically had all the time in the world in the pocket against us, except for maybe 6-7 minutes of the first quarter. And yes, ditch that dumbass 3 man rush and get 4 guys trying to get to the QB. The 3 man rush doesn't work, period.

I just cringe when I see a QB have all day in the pocket against us.

Its just not a good recipe for getting to the SB.
We actually hit Cousins a lot in the first half. The second half we went heavy with the 3 man rushes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's worked for much of this season and I understand why we do it. If we aren't going to get home with 4 might as well have the extra man in coverage.

And we did get to Cousins a bit in the 1st half but we really went soft in the 2nd as every time the Skins had the ball we had a double digit lead. The only thing that really pissed me off was the bust on the Jackson TD, the rest of the time I understand what was happening, we were up by double digits and forced them to drive the field.

To the Redskins credit, they did just that, although for the most part it was with short, 4-8 yard completions.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We actually hit Cousins a lot in the first half. The second half we went heavy with the 3 man rushes.
That was point. He started airing it out when we changed up, and really started going downfield after we went to the 3 man rush "attack".

I don't understand why Marinelli feels like that's the way to go.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
You know, the very sweet thing about all this is how unexpected it is. I know our hopes are much higher now because of the O's play, but aside from signing the other O lineman, this offense is set for a while. Next year can be a decidedly defensive draft and FA season and hopefully we see the D greatly improve. It could be a NE type run for us for the foreseeable future regardless what happens this year. :happydance

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know, the very sweet thing about all this is how unexpected it is. I know our hopes are much higher now because of the O's play, but aside from signing the other O lineman, this offense is set for a while. Next year can be a decidedly defensive draft and FA season and hopefully we see the D greatly improve. It could be a NE type run for us for the foreseeable future regardless what happens this year. :happydance
We just need to find an elite DE or two. I like our DTs with Collins, Irving and Thornton. This defense isn't that bad, just need some ends. Which of course is easier said then done.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We just need to find an elite DE or two. I like our DTs with Collins, Irving and Thornton. This defense isn't that bad, just need some ends. Which of course is easier said then done.
And Crawford at DT too. That's a good but not great rotation. I'd still take a stud DT if I had the chance though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Crawford at DT too. That's a good but not great rotation. I'd still take a stud DT if I had the chance though.
Well I wouldn't pass up any stud defender to be honest. Right now we have like one elite defensive player in Sean Lee. We could use elite anywhere. But I think we have some really good young DTs with potential. At DE the only guy I really like is Lawrence. No idea what Tapper is or isn't at this point. The rest of the guys we line up at DE are sprt of WGAS.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Thankfully this looks to be a pretty legit DE class, depending on the juniors of course.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Interesting I need to look at that.
Alot of people will mention guys like Allen and Garrett but that does us no good since our 1st round pick looks like it's basically going to be an early 2nd, somewhere in the 26-32 range.

But there is still alot of depth at the position with guys like Carl Lawson, Tim Williams, Takkarist McKinley, Charles Harris, and Derek Barnett. Of course several of those guys are juniors and most of them will be gone in the 15-25 range, but it still adds to depth and pushes other guys down. Taco Charlton is an interesting one, although I have to look into him more, I think he may be redundant with some of our other "jumbo DE's who shift inside in nickel/dime" types.

There are a few other guys who could pop up too like Harold Landry, but we'll have to wait to see who declares. Right now I'm looking hard at McKinley, I will be very interested to see how he does at the Senior Bowl. I think it's possible he puts himself out of our range with an impressive performance there.

One wild card is DeMarcus Walker, he looks like a DE/DT tweener in a 4-3 but I'll be interested to see what he weighs in at. He looks like he has Aaron Donald type of pass-rushing ability from the interior though, and even though DE is a much bigger need at DT you can't pass up pass rush like that/

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
One wild card is DeMarcus Walker, he looks like a DE/DT tweener in a 4-3 but I'll be interested to see what he weighs in at. He looks like he has Aaron Donald type of pass-rushing ability from the interior though, and even though DE is a much bigger need at DT you can't pass up pass rush like that/

Let's get this guy & sign Ware...then we have the DeMarcation Line defense.

Impenetrable

Top Bottom