Redskins Stuff...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The last hurrah for the Triplets. Irvin breaks his neck 3 weeks later and that's all she wrote.

One of the best wins on opening day that I ever saw.

I'm not going to say anything outrageous like they would have gone to the SB that year had they stayed healthy, but it would have been interesting to see what that team was capable of had they avoided the injuries.

They were 3-0 and and playing very well, the offense was on fire, the defense was making plays, and Emmitt Smith was in the midst of one of his 4 or 5 best seasons of his career. They were at Philly and in full control of the game when Irvin went down, and they eventually lost that game and the season went downhill from there.

Deion Sanders had issues with his toe that year as well, but when he was healthy, he was fantastic.

I don't feel like that season was an opportunity lost or anything, but it sure would've been interesting to see how far they would have gone if every single one of the big 4 had stayed healthy all season long.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Certainly makes you feel like Chan Gailey got a raw deal in terms of the talent he was missing.

data

Forbes #1
Would’ve loved to see them play the Rams in the NFCC.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Certainly makes you feel like Chan Gailey got a raw deal in terms of the talent he was missing.
I will give Gailey credit...he tried to put his skill players in a position to make plays. Something the current staff has had an issue with.

But, that's minor. What about Irvin? What an F'n beast.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Would’ve loved to see them play the Rams in the NFCC.
I will give Gailey credit...he tried to put his skill players in a position to make plays. Something the current staff has had an issue with.

But, that's minor. What about Irvin? What an F'n beast.
Had Aikman, Irvin, and Sanders all stayed healthy all season, they would have definitely won 11 or 12 games and made it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Emmitt did get injured, but never missed a considerable amount of time. But the time he did miss was significant because he probably leads the league in rushing had he not been forced out of the Vikes game and subsequently missed the next game vs Green Bay.

We all remember him breaking his hand on MNF vs the Vikes in a game where he probably breaks the single game record if he hadn't gone out at halftime. Then he was forced to miss the the next game vs Green Bay.

You put those 6 quarters together, and he likely gets the 153 yards he would've needed to finish rushing champion.

It's easy to file it away as another mediocre season when you see they finished 8-8, but if those 4 guys never ever get hurt, we would probably be looking at that season a whole lot differently.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He brought it on himself, eff him.

Had he and Dwain Painter not been bitches, Randy Moss would have been a Cowboy.

Sorry, I just don't like Chan. I had a double dose of him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He brought it on himself, eff him.

Had he and Dwain Painter not been bitches, Randy Moss would have been a Cowboy.

Sorry, I just don't like Chan. I had a double dose of him.
Yeah, I mean, I know. But look at what came after him.

You can't go back and change history, but I wouldn't mind a peak at what happens if the Cowboys draft Moss in 1998. Gailey lasts more than two years I'll bet.

data

Forbes #1
Moss’s draft slip should be its own 30 for 30.

Him and Aaron Rodgers.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Blame #88. They didn't want Irvin Part II on their team.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Scout’s Eye: A Favorable Matchup For Witten; A Challenge For Scandrick
Thursday, October 26, 2017 12:03 PM CDT
By Bryan Broaddus

FRISCO, Texas -- Here is my weekly look at the two biggest matchups I think will swing this divisional game between the Cowboys and the Redskins.

This is potentially a really bad matchup for the Redskins. Swearinger is a good, “down in the box” player. Put him around the line and he is going to find ways to make plays. He’s a physical player and willing hitter, but his coverage skills are poor to say the least.

Swearinger really doesn’t run all that well and when he has to carry receivers he is generally a step or two behind. Opponents have found ways to take advantage of him when matched up. I think Washington defensive coordinator Greg Manusky has to be careful in how he plays this one. We could see him use linebackers Zach Brown or Mason Foster instead of Swearinger, but regardless, he is going to have a tough time with Witten.

Look for Witten to continue to work the middle of the field. He might not be able to completely run away from Swearinger, but his ability to find space on the move will put him in a bind. Swearinger really has trouble staying with his man and as much tape as Witten studies before the game, he will know which of his moves will work the best.

Keep an eye on this matchup in the red zone. Even when the field shrinks, Witten should have an advantage due to Swearinger not feeling totally comfortable in coverage. He will likely over-play routes and his aggressiveness could draw him flags. Witten’s ability to use his body for positioning will also make things even more difficult for Swearinger to have to fight.

This is a matchup that the Cowboys cannot afford to lose. Scandrick knows the opponent, and he has the speed/quickness to deal with Crowder -- but taking him out of the game will be difficult. Jay Gruden makes it hard on defenders when facing Crowder due to the different levels in which he deploys him.

Other than Sean Lee, I am not sure there is a defender on this Dallas squad that studies his opponent more than Scandrick --- so he will have seen it all. Scandrick must be ready for the jet sweeps, the screens and the in-breaking routes across the field. Gruden is going to make Scandrick have to carry him all over the field. I mentioned that Scandrick can match him with the speed/quickness, but he also matches up well with him height-wise. Crowder is not the biggest guy that Scandrick has faced, so that will help him in those 50-50 contested balls.

Scandrick will need to jump on him quickly, especially when Cousins gets the ball in his hands “right now.” Scandrick and his teammates can’t allow Crowder any space because of his ability to create those explosive plays.

The Redskins rely on Crowder to make those plays. It’s a big part of what they do offensively. Limit his big plays and you slow their offense. Orlando Scandrick is capable of winning this matchup, but he is going to have to be at his very best to pull it off.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Crowder hasn't even done that much this year, has he? I'm more worried about Reed, plus maybe Doctson breaking out.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crowder hasn't even done that much this year, has he? I'm more worried about Reed, plus maybe Doctson breaking out.
As someone who drafted him in fantasy thinking he would build off of his strong season last year I can tell you Crawford has been absolutely invisible this year. Done just about nothing.

Cotton

Staff member
90% chance of rain on Sunday at FedEx. Rain would definitely be to the Cowboys advantage.

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It rained during the Denver game.
I don't think rain had anything to do with that shit show.

Nobody came to play that day and every aspect of the team was awful.

If he struggles in another rain day, then there might be something to it. But if there is one game that I wouldn't hold against one particular player, it's the Denver game.

Nobody from the staff to the players on the field bothered to get off the plane for that one.

Top Bottom