The Colin Kaepernick Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ca·ma·ra·de·rie
ˌkäməˈrädərē,ˌkaməˈrädərē/
noun
mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together.

Yeah, there's none of that in sports, at all.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Sports and the camaraderie that comes with it are the epitome of patriotism.
I don't see the correlation. I have never understood why the anthem is played before every sporting event. I think it makes a lot of sense at the Olympics, but at some random NFL game? Not so much.

I have no problem with it and always stand and face the flag during the anthem if I attend an event, but I disagree that sports is the epitome of patriotism.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Why is the anthem even being played at all?

I don't particularly have an issue with it but these events have nothing to do with patriotism.

The "Tradition" is not even that long.
When it comes to this, I do see where you're coming from.

I've never really understood the whole playing of the national anthem before a sporting event tradition.

I've made friends from all over the world and they all ask me why it's done and I can't explain it.

I can't think of another country, even a 1st world country, that does this.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't see the correlation. I have never understood why the anthem is played before every sporting event. I think it makes a lot of sense at the Olympics, but at some random NFL game? Not so much.

I have no problem with it and always stand and face the flag during the anthem if I attend an event, but I disagree that sports is the epitome of patriotism.
Timestamped, I see.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't see the correlation. I have never understood why the anthem is played before every sporting event. I think it makes a lot of sense at the Olympics to play the anthem on the podium, but at some random NFL game? Not so much.

We will just have to agree to disagree then. Our guys being able to play sports, and (more importantly) us being able to go these events is the direct result of our military fighting for our freedom to be able to do so without being in fear. I say there is a direct very strong correlation between the two.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
We will just have to agree to disagree then. Our guys being able to play sports, and (more importantly) us being able to go these events is the direct result of our military fighting for our freedom to be able to do so without being in fear. I say there is a direct very strong correlation between the two.
By this logic why don't they play it before every live theatrical production? Art show? Musical performance? Etc, etc? Do the same principles not apply? No problem agreeing to disagree. All I'm saying is that is has somehow become tradition and I am OK with it if that is what people want to do, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to me.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I've never really understood the whole playing of the national anthem before a sporting event tradition.

I've made friends from all over the world and they all ask me why it's done and I can't explain it.

England plays God save the Queen before soccer games(only know this because I saw article a few months back some were proposing a replacement song before Parliament)

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
England plays God save the Queen before soccer games(only know this because I saw article a few months back some were proposing a replacement song before Parliament)
Hmmm....that's news to me.

Is this like before the players even come out? Because I watch the EPL every week and at no point during the broadcast is any type of patriotic theme or anthem ever played.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Hmmm....that's news to me.

Is this like before the players even come out? Because I watch the EPL every week and at no point during the broadcast is any type of patriotic theme or anthem ever played.
I have no idea, just recall in the article they were proposing some other song for before futbol games

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
By this logic why don't they play it before every live theatrical production? Art show? Musical performance? Etc, etc? Do the same principles not apply? No problem agreeing to disagree. All I'm saying is that is has somehow become tradition and I am OK with it if that is what people want to do, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to me.
That's a fair point. Maybe they should. Only reason I can come up with is there is a lot more camaraderie (multiple people pulling towards the same goal) in sports than those other venues. Would correlate more with what we are doing and have done as a country in getting to where we are.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member

You've never heard of Canada?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
That's a fair point. Maybe they should. Only reason I can come up with is there is a lot more camaraderie (multiple people pulling towards the same goal) in sports than those other venues. Would correlate more with what we are doing and have done as a country in getting to where we are.
The military has also fought for the freedom of the performers in the orchestra/theater troupe to be there doing their thing, as well as the audience's right to gather there to enjoy the event. It is not really any different from that perspective. All are public performances and certainly the orchestra and theater troupe is just as much a situation of multiple people working towards the same goal as any sports team. And just because they aren't slapping each other on the ass doesn't mean there is any less camaraderie. They also spend countless hours together perfecting their crafts with the goal of putting on a flawless performance as a unit. I really don't know what camaraderie has to do with it anyway. But the point is that the national anthem is not played before each of these events, or any number of other types of public events/gatherings. So why do it for sports, unless it is on an international level?

Lookit, I am not going to be part of a movement to cease the playing of the national anthem before sporting events. I am just raising the question of why before every sporting event and very little else?. Because I think for the most part people do not really ask that question. If someone's answer is "Because we should use that particular forum to show respect for our country" then fine, that is a legit opinion and I can accept it for that. I don't necessarily agree and it still doesn't really make sense to me, but that is just me. Just trying to provide a different perspective to the discussion.

Cotton

Staff member
The military has also fought for the freedom of the performers in the orchestra/theater troupe to be there doing their thing, as well as the audience's right to gather there to enjoy the event. It is not really any different from that perspective. All are public performances and certainly the orchestra and theater troupe is just as much a situation of multiple people working towards the same goal as any sports team. And just because they aren't slapping each other on the ass doesn't mean there is any less camaraderie. They also spend countless hours together perfecting their crafts with the goal of putting on a flawless performance as a unit. I really don't know what camaraderie has to do with it anyway. But the point is that the national anthem is not played before each of these events, or any number of other types of public events/gatherings. So why do it for sports, unless it is on an international level?

Lookit, I am not going to be part of a movement to cease the playing of the national anthem before sporting events. I am just providing another perspective and raising the question of why before every sporting event and very little else?. Because I think for the most part people do not really ask that question. If someone's answer is "Because we should use that forum to show respect for our country" then fine, that is a legit opinion and I can accept it for that. I don't necessarily agree and it still doesn't really make sense to me, but that is just me. Just trying to provide a different perspective to the discussion.
Like I said, then maybe it should be played at other venues. Especially if there is a call for it. I'm an extremely patriotic person by nature, so my opinion is obviously going to be biased on the subject.

Jiggyfly

Banned
ca·ma·ra·de·rie
ˌkäməˈrädərē,ˌkaməˈrädərē/
noun
mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together.

Yeah, there's none of that in sports, at all.
It is contest of people trying to knock each other out.

Which is the patriotic side?

Cotton

Staff member
It is contest of people trying to knock each other out.

Which is the patriotic side?
I've explained myself on that, already. If you don't agree, that's your right. It's how I feel.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Like I said, then maybe it should be played at other venues. Especially if there is a call for it. I'm an extremely patriotic person by nature, so my opinion is obviously going to be biased on the subject.
Fair enough.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There are usually multiple people rooting for different goals.

You know hoping THEIR team wins.

The very nature of sporting contest is us vs them.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I've explained myself on that, already. If you don't agree, that's your right. It's how I feel.
I have no issue with you feeling that way.

Just don't agree that a sporting contest is the epitome of being patriotic.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Lookit, I am not going to be part of a movement to cease the playing of the national anthem before sporting events. I am just raising the question of why before every sporting event and very little else?. Because I think for the most part people do not really ask that question. If someone's answer is "Because we should use that particular forum to show respect for our country" then fine, that is a legit opinion and I can accept it for that. I don't necessarily agree and it still doesn't really make sense to me, but that is just me. Just trying to provide a different perspective to the discussion.
Traditions don't always make sense. They are just traditions.

Top Bottom