Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Giants| 09-11-16

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
you expect a slow TE to come all the way across the formation for a kick-out block? ohhhhkay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
you expect a slow TE to come all the way across the formation for a kick-out block? ohhhhkay.
Against probably the Giants best defensive player. We kept trying and it kept failing. I might understand doing it against some teams 250 pound speed rusher but not against a 275 pound Olivier Vernon.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Against probably the Giants best defensive player. We kept trying and it kept failing. I might understand doing it against some teams 250 pound speed rusher but not against a 275 pound Olivier Vernon.
Are you implying that a bigger defensive end is more productive than a smaller one? :)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you implying that a bigger defensive end is more productive than a smaller one? :)
Not more productive. But they are more difficult to block in a run game. Of course they tend to suck as pass rushers. Which may be why he never sniffed the QB.

Basically you block bigger guys with bigger guys. You block speedier guys with speedier guys. So why in the hell would you ask your smaller guy to block a bigger guy? When you have 300+ guys to block the bigger guy?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Interesting.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
That kickout play by Witten is a bread and butter play that has been used in the last 3 years.

Witten was just getting whipped in this game.

The success of this oline is not lining up and beating people it's been the ability to cut guys off and get to the next level.

They put far to much faith in Witten this last game and did not run many stretch plays but the real issue was the Giants keeping at least 8 in the box and run blitzing most downs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting.

It's interesting but I also remember one of the drives where we were repeatedly gashed in the running game was with Durant in there. And most of the game we were only using 2 LBers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interesting.

This is the same club that credited Golden Cock with high scores.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That kickout play by Witten is a bread and butter play that has been used in the last 3 years.

The success of this oline is not lining up and beating people it's been the ability to cut guys off and get to the next level.

They put far to much faith in Witten this last game and did not run many stretch plays but the real issue was the Giants keeping at least 8 in the box and run blitzing most downs.
Shhh. Its horrible scheming.

Agree about the strength of the line. Giants did their homework. We had trouble with the Eagles beef, Giants imported their own and it also gave us trouble.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Just rewatched the 1st half Hankins was just beasting, nobody could block him.

Vernon was destroying Witten but if Elliot kept his head up he could have bounced it outside twice for big yardage he showed little feel for how they where reacting to that play.

We also ran very little zone with Elliott they could not get any push in man blocking.

Smith was destroying Vernon in the run game but they did not run at him very often with Smith blocking him.

I think once Elliott watches the film he will better understand were the soft spots will be his lack of carries in the preseason was evident.

We should have been up 21-7, Daks accuracy to Dez was lacking he had his man beat both times in the endzone. The one called back was a bit late but it was a play Dez usually makes, The break up by Cromartie was late and underthrown Dez beat him pretty good down the seam.

The encuraging thing about Dak was that he went to the right receiver 90% of the time but he is going to have to get better on the deeper throws.

And Beasley just flat dropped an easy TD.

The zone read was there all day There was a mix up on one somebody went the wrong way, on another Elliott took the ball and the 3rd Dak got 10 yards.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Guard and center play wasn't good either. Collins struggled on a few plays. On others, Martin was slow off the ball or not getting push. I saw what appeared to be Tyron Smith missing an assignment too.

Just a bunch of mistakes. Hopefully they'll round into shape.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Just rewatched the 1st half Hankins was just beasting, nobody could block him.

Vernon was destroying Witten but if Elliot kept his head up he could have bounced it outside twice for big yardage he showed little feel for how they where reacting to that play.

We also ran very little zone with Elliott they could not get any push in man blocking.

Smith was destroying Vernon in the run game but they did not run at him very often with Smith blocking him.

I think once Elliott watches the film he will better understand were the soft spots will be his lack of carries in the preseason was evident.

We should have been up 21-7, Daks accuracy to Dez was lacking he had his man beat both times in the endzone. The one called back was a bit late but it was a play Dez usually makes, The break up by Cromartie was late and underthrown Dez beat him pretty good down the seam.

The encuraging thing about Dak was that he went to the right receiver 90% of the time but he is going to have to get better on the deeper throws.

And Beasley just flat dropped an easy TD.

The zone read was there all day There was a mix up on one somebody went the wrong way, on another Elliott took the ball and the 3rd Dak got 10 yards.
Good analysis.

I agree, Dak has to get better but we've seen that he has the deep ball in his arsenal as he displayed on the preseason. The one thing I can tell from him so far is that he's actually willing to put in the time to get better and I have no doubt he'll end up improving that aspect of the game.

Yes, we should have flat out won and I'm still pissed that we didn't. The difference between this year and last is that I think we'll actually improve with Dak getting more playing time and experience, and the same can be said about Zeke as well.

dallen

Senior Tech

I know we've used it in the past, but I still don't like it. Not against decent DEs anyway. IMO if you are going to use it then do it to slow REs. A quick LE that diagnoses the play will beat Witten to the spot almost every time.

All that said, it certainly wasn't a key factor in our loss. Just a stray observation. The Giants decided to force Dak to beat them (and he did just enough to imo)

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just did not like the way we got Elliotk the ball. Felt like most of his carries were from out of the shotgun. Morris was real effective taking carries when Dak took the snap from under center. He did well on the pitch from the shotgun and scored his TD when Dak took the ball from under center. We have to utilize him in the passing game too, get him out in space and let him work.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I know we've used it in the past, but I still don't like it. Not against decent DEs anyway. IMO if you are going to use it then do it to slow REs. A quick LE that diagnoses the play will beat Witten to the spot almost every time.

All that said, it certainly wasn't a key factor in our loss. Just a stray observation. The Giants decided to force Dak to beat them (and he did just enough to imo)
I think it was a huge factor, Vernon destroyed the run every time and it was obviously a big part of the game plan.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Good analysis.

I agree, Dak has to get better but we've seen that he has the deep ball in his arsenal as he displayed on the preseason. The one thing I can tell from him so far is that he's actually willing to put in the time to get better and I have no doubt he'll end up improving that aspect of the game.

Yes, we should have flat out won and I'm still pissed that we didn't. The difference between this year and last is that I think we'll actually improve with Dak getting more playing time and experience, and the same can be said about Zeke as well.
Dak was having some of the same issues in pre season but those plays were being made by the receivers it is something to keep an eye on.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

It should have been expected that Prescott would be the focal point of the Giants defensive schemes. That's why it was so important to establish a solid running game. That never happened.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It should have been expected that Prescott would be the focal point of the Giants defensive schemes. That's why it was so important to establish a solid running game. That never happened.
Dak was not the focal point, the run game was.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dak was not the focal point, the run game was.
Let me rephrase that. The Giants schemes placed the responsibility on the young QB to beat them. The running game of Dallas was the pressure point to control Dallas.

Top Bottom